America's Poorest States

There are probably more people living in poverty in New York City alone than in the entire state of Tennessee.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but those graphics are nice to look at, but they don't provide enough context.

Poverty is relevant to cost of living.

There are probably more people living in poverty in New York City alone than in the entire state of Tennessee.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but those graphics are nice to look at, but they don't provide enough context.

That doesn't really paint a fair picture. The percentages are the fairest way to compare it.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber.

Low wages? That's vague. Low wages for what? If it's for a minimum wage job then sure call it low, but it's minimum wage for a reason. If you are flipping burgers, something that anyone can do you aren't getting $15 an hour in an area where cost of living is low. How does that make any sense? Especially when you consider the fact that 50% of the time those "skilled" workers get my order wrong. Did you ever consider that if they raised the minimum that would either A) drive cost for that product up B) lead to those places hiring less employees than before or C) both of those things which is most likely.

As far as public school goes that's not an isolated problem for the South. That happens everywhere and for good reason. If the public school is failing and the kids that are going there (white or black) are part of the problem then why would you want your child to go to that school?

You constantly play the race card, but let's have an honest conversation about this. I dare you to look at the list of failing schools throughout the US and see what the primary demographic is. Then explain to me why is that?

Are you saying that white children need to go to schools that are primarily black to help the black students do better in school? I really don't understand your argument. It shouldn't matter the what the demographics are. You still have teachers, now you just need children willing to learn.

I'm sorry but this problem isn't a racism issue.

Good post! I completely agree with your A, B, and C options, I'm going to add Option D. I'm a small business owner, and my option (sadly) may be closing down my business. If I did have to close down, 20+ people will be without a job.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the general issue with public schools has more to do with faculty and curriculum than location. While funding is an issue, how are students supposed to learn if the faculty can't engage them? People, children in particular, will be more apt to retain knowledge learned if there were more creative methods of instructional delivery. I home schooled my children for two years due to medical issues. In Mississippi, they have to take a placement test to re-enter the public school system. Both my kids tested off the charts because of what I taught them. I taught my 8th grader Algebra II and geometry. My 5th grader can read at a high school level. I made learning fun instead of a laborious tasks. I related the lessons to what interests them. I think that is what public school teachers fail to do (not all but a vast majority).

That doesn't really paint a fair picture. The percentages are the fairest way to compare it.
Maybe. If there are more poverty level families concentrated in Brooklyn, all the inherent problems that go along with poverty would be there. Support mechanisms within the community would be stretched thin and become useless. Charitable organizations would be stretched as well. If the percentages of Tennesseans in poverty were higher, but spread out across the state, the likelihood of being able to be helped by local charities is much greater because all the eggs are not in the same basket.

There was an old adage: The solution to pollution is dilution. While I think that was a bad idea, it might apply here.

Or maybe ghettos are a good idea.

I think you have to look at the history of the areas we are pointing out for more context. The is substantially more businesses and industry in population dense areas such as in the north. Conversely, the south has traditionally been an agrarian based society. It wasn't until WWII that you started to see more companies start to move south. In more recent years, manufacturing companies started to move south because of cheaper labor, less regulation, and less taxes. I would be willing to be in the next 25 years or so, we will start to see the poverty level drastically decline in the south as more business move south and more jobs become readily available. You will also see poverty rates increase in the north dependent upon regional migration. I say this because several Yankees (such as myself and my family) have and are continuing to move south.

I think you have to look at the history of the areas we are pointing out for more context. The is substantially more businesses and industry in population dense areas such as in the north. Conversely, the south has traditionally been an agrarian based society. It wasn't until WWII that you started to see more companies start to move south. In more recent years, manufacturing companies started to move south because of cheaper labor, less regulation, and less taxes. I would be willing to be in the next 25 years or so, we will start to see the poverty level drastically decline in the south as more business move south and more jobs become readily available. You will also see poverty rates increase in the north dependent upon regional migration. I say this because several Yankees (such as myself and my family) have and are continuing to move south.

I've always thought one of the biggest reasons for the migration south is the invention of the air conditioner. Before that, the south was pretty much a disease infested swamp.

Because it never got hot up north, right?

Not nearly as hot or humid. The house I grew up in (Wisconsin) did have air conditioning. I live in Southern Mississippi now. I could never live here without air conditioning.

So to the point, air conditioning did help to make the south more attractive. But I think we still have yet to see the zenith of southern migration. As the more liberal northern states enact more unfriendly regulation and higher business taxes, more business will move to more conducive environments. The same will be true for high income earners. Why stay somewhere where you dollar doesn't have as much power and where you have to pay more in state taxes?

VN Store

Back