Alex Poythress

I'm really tired of reading this. An undergraduate degree from Vandy isn't any better than an undergraduate degree from UT.

Lets be honest here.....I have a degree from Vanderbilt vs. I have a degree from Tennessee.....Which carries more weight just in the words? I also said that they are the better basketball team at this point in time. Them being better alone give them a better chance of landing him. And if Duke had illegally contacted him, i would say that Vandy has the upper hand. Why would he come to Tennessee? Playing for a first year coach, with possible NCAA sanctions looming, on a team that has no legitimate chance of doing anything in the next few years. Im just being realistic.

IMO, let's be honest in another sense: does this kid REALLY care about academics? I mean REALLY? You don't think he's more concerned with getting to the NBA since he's so highly ranked? Furthermore, is he really even going to stay for 4 years? Who knows, but I don't see any reason to assume he cares that much about academics in which it's a MAJOR factor in what school he decides to go to.

I dont know if this kid is REALLY serious about academics. I dont know him, do you? From what ive read, he is. Thats as far as i can go on that. And if you think hes THAT worries about going to the NBA, i doubt the NBA superstar factory that is Tennessee is high on his list. Again, Vandy would give him a better chance IMO. Playing with better players, on a team that has a chance to win some games and make a post season run would help his chances. He has said he wants to stay close to home, ive heard hes high on academics, and he wants to win(who doesnt). What school close to him gives him the best chance of accomplishing those goals?

You make a good argument. I don't get his list. The only other school with a higher-prestige degree he's considering is Miami. And that's still a decent step down from Vandy. Perhaps by some good fortune, he wants a business degree. That should move us up the list.

SIAP, video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOy6KzL-t0w&feature=player_embedded#at=52[/youtube]

Also, Duke's compliance office is trying to determine if the phone call was legitimately a violation or not. There's a possibility that it may end up not being a violation since Poythress's team was already eliminated when Coach K made the offer. To me, it seems like it wouldn't matter; the call was made while the player was attending the tournament. Who knows though....:dunno:

what r tha chances we get him? how do we stand with stokes?

From his profiles and articles I've read, it looks like no one will know any direction he may be leaning for a while. Seems like he's gong to milk it out.

Stokes has narrowed his list down to 6. Most believe it's either going to be Arkansas or Memphis. He looks like a milker as well.

Lets be honest here.....I have a degree from Vanderbilt vs. I have a degree from Tennessee.....Which carries more weight just in the words? I also said that they are the better basketball team at this point in time. Them being better alone give them a better chance of landing him. And if Duke had illegally contacted him, i would say that Vandy has the upper hand. Why would he come to Tennessee? Playing for a first year coach, with possible NCAA sanctions looming, on a team that has no legitimate chance of doing anything in the next few years. Im just being realistic.

I wasn't ever talking about the overall recruitment picture -- only the argument about academics. That said, I still say an undergraduate degree from Vandy and UT are virtually identical. How much it impresses people you talk to on an everyday basis isn't really important. It really depends on what he wants to do.

I'm just sick of the old rhetoric that Vandy is the elite academic school in the SEC. An undergraduate degree doesn't mean anything now a days if you give two ****s about academics, and an undergraduate degree from Vandy as opposed to any other school in the SEC isn't going to increase your chances at getting into a graduate program anywhere if you don't have the GPA and possibly some publications/research experience to go with it. It isn't like these kids are going to med school while they play ball.

Stokes has hit it off extremely well with Cuonzo from what I've read.

I've heard that as well. I know he wanted 2 jump on board with CBP...But with new coaches he had 2 get a feel 4 them. In tha end I think CCM shows his hatred he can recruit with other big time programs. GBO
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Poythress has stated that he wants to go to UK. His parents are UK fans and they want him to go to UK. Cal has his sights on Bazz Muhammed, but if Muhammed is the UCLA lock everyone thinks he is, then Cal will turn his attention to Poythress.

Stokes is still a Tiger I think.

I hate to agree with Cal on something, but he's spot on here. Not only is Coach K not catching much flak for this, but there are media outlets railing against how stupid the rule is. It's like K doesn't need to follow the same rules as every other coach.

There have been a number of coaches over the years that don't have to follow the same rules as every other coach.

If the NCAA would get on the ball and give us our penalties, whatever they are, that will go a long way in helping CCM start landing some big time recruits.

It's harder to deal with not having been penalized yet especially when you've got every other coach out there hammering the recruit with what we might get. Pastner and Cal especially.

I wasn't ever talking about the overall recruitment picture -- only the argument about academics. That said, I still say an undergraduate degree from Vandy and UT are virtually identical. How much it impresses people you talk to on an everyday basis isn't really important. It really depends on what he wants to do.

I'm just sick of the old rhetoric that Vandy is the elite academic school in the SEC. An undergraduate degree doesn't mean anything now a days if you give two ****s about academics, and an undergraduate degree from Vandy as opposed to any other school in the SEC isn't going to increase your chances at getting into a graduate program anywhere if you don't have the GPA and possibly some publications/research experience to go with it. It isn't like these kids are going to med school while they play ball.

Ummm....wrong.

Ummm.... no I am in fact completely correct.

By your logic, a degree from Princeton = an AA from Vol State + a BS from TSU. Not to say that the latter will not exceed the objective success of the former, but he/she has no legitimate expectation of equal opportunities, either in academia or in the business world.

Last edited:
By your logic, a degree from Princeton = an AA from Vol State + a BS from TSU. Not to say that the latter will not exceed the objective success of the former, but he/she has no legitimate expectation of equal opportunities, either in academia or in the business world.

I was comparing undergraduate degrees (assuming a BS) from SEC schools -- all major research institutions. You just compared a degree from an Ivy league school to Vol state and TSU. Probably important to read my entire post and then comprehend it before trying to make an analogy using my logic.

I was comparing undergraduate degrees (assuming a BS) from SEC schools -- all major research institutions. You just compared a degree from an Ivy league school to Vol state and TSU. Probably important to read my entire post and then comprehend it before trying to make an analogy using my logic.

There follows a direct quote from your post:

"An undergraduate degree doesn't mean anything now a days if you give two ****s about academics..."

Don't wanna argue, just don't agree with that statement. As much as I love UT athletics, the opportunities, academic and otherwise, which accompany a BS from a school like Vanderbilt > the opportunities which accompany the same degree from a school like UT.

VN Store

Back