Alabama Football/Kentucky Basketball

I didn’t lose any argument. Funny you didn’t mention UCLA in your “rebuttal”…

UCLA is far and away the better program historically and the others that I mentioned can definitely stake their claim as well.
Oh you lost the argument. Badly.

He supports his argument with an avalanche of facts.

You support yours with an idiotic ad hominem.

“All-time” means all-time. I hate Kentucky. But they’re #1 all-time. And it’s an easy argument.
eAsY aRgUmeNt while they sit there with 3 less titles than UCLA and less Final Fours than North Carolina. Ridiculous.

eAsY aRgUmeNt while they sit there with 3 less titles than UCLA and less Final Fours than North Carolina. Ridiculous.
Wait…I thought old National Titles didn’t count for Kentucky. Now they count for UCLA? Kentucky has 3 NCs since UCLA’s last. UCLA has 0 this century. But you’re giving them a pass for that, while dismissing UK’s as too distant. How convenient.

Kentucky is #1 in wins and winning%, #2 in Final 4s (behind UNC, who is 3 NCs behind UK and #3 in wins), and #2 in NCs (3 behind UCLA, which won most of them before 1980 when it was a small tournament and they got an easy road in the West…and UCLA isn’t top 4 in wins).

UK is #1 or #2 in every category. No other school can say that. UK has won a NC with 5 different coaches. No one else comes close to that.

Yes. This is a slam dunk. UK is #1 all-time.

I know…this makes me a Kentucky fan. Because I recited facts. 🙄

Ratings and money support his point. I don’t care about any basketball besides Tennessee until March. It’s hard to care because regular season games are rendered meaningless by a tournament that randomizes the entire season. And basketball is the most affected by officiating.

It’s not just the SEC that didn’t prioritize basketball. In the Big 8, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. were football schools. Kansas was the basketball school. In the Big 10, Indiana was the basketball school. Every conference had its school that was terrible at football so prioritized basketball as the path of least resistance, while the others beat each other up in football.

It passes the football offseason. I love Tennessee basketball. But it’s not football. Hell, I like college baseball better.
Bingo….we have a winner.
I will contend with the convo you are having with the other guys that Kentucky is not the best team in modern college basketball. UNC is only two titles off them and not three. If you want to combine the old days with the modern then Kentucky has an argument for being the best. But UCLA was better in the old days and UNC, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina…even schools like UConn have been more successful than them in the last 40 years. At some point you can’t pad your stats on beating football schools and claiming you have more wins and higher win percentages when every other blue blood basketball school is outperforming you for our lifetimes. This ain’t your grandaddies Kentucky and it never will be again…Go Vols!!!!!

Ratings and money support his point. I don’t care about any basketball besides Tennessee until March. It’s hard to care because regular season games are rendered meaningless by a tournament that randomizes the entire season. And basketball is the most affected by officiating.

It’s not just the SEC that didn’t prioritize basketball. In the Big 8, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. were football schools. Kansas was the basketball school. In the Big 10, Indiana was the basketball school. Every conference had its school that was terrible at football so prioritized basketball as the path of least resistance, while the others beat each other up in football.

It passes the football offseason. I love Tennessee basketball. But it’s not football. Hell, I like college baseball better.

Ok they said it was the fault of the SEC for not investing in basketball, and you both say "no one cares" about basketball, yet then it's said the SEC always has had pride in baseball. But comapriably nobody cares about college baseball, the only time it remotely moves any needle is the CWS and even then nothing like March Madness.

Yeah,conference realignment has shown where the money goes(rightly so) and what gets left behind. That's another thing altogether,and im not a big fan of it. While I disagree with your feelings on college basketball and March,I get it and have heard it before. I don't believe in the path of least resistance being the reason that schools decided to be basketball schools. They just take priority over football like other sports take a back seat for football.

Anywho,it's an interesting conversation to have so thanks for the chat.

Maybe I'm a little blinded being a huge basketball fan although I love college football (more than NFL) lol

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Ok they said it was the fault of the SEC for not investing in basketball, and you both say "no one cares" about basketball, yet then it's said the SEC always has had pride in baseball. But comapriably nobody cares about college baseball, the only time it remotely moves any needle is the CWS and even then nothing like March Madness.
Yes people nationwide don’t care about college baseball. But I love it and the Sec prides itself in it.

Bama fans think that their team can play flawlessly and not commit an offensive holding penalty over entire seasons. Having the home office in the neighborhood has advantages.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I don’t agree that “no one cares” about basketball. Just that far fewer care than care about football. Football is far more important from a money and bragging rights standpoint. It just is.

I never said college baseball is popular. I love it and it’s increasing in popularity, but is way behind football and basketball. Of course, a huge reason for that is that cold weather states can’t compete because the season starts in February. So a huge part of the country is disinterested because they can’t compete.

Reactions: njvols
Bingo….we have a winner.
I will contend with the convo you are having with the other guys that Kentucky is not the best team in modern college basketball. UNC is only two titles off them and not three. If you want to combine the old days with the modern then Kentucky has an argument for being the best. But UCLA was better in the old days and UNC, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina…even schools like UConn have been more successful than them in the last 40 years. At some point you can’t pad your stats on beating football schools and claiming you have more wins and higher win percentages when every other blue blood basketball school is outperforming you for our lifetimes. This ain’t your grandaddies Kentucky and it never will be again…Go Vols!!!!!
The discussion is all-time. That’s Kentucky. If the discussion is this century or last 40 years, it’s someone else.

Is this a serious post? Do you honestly want to compare the histories of Kentucky and Kansas? Kentucky has more wins, a better winning percentage, double the amount of national titles, more national title game appearances, and more final fours. Besides that, KU is a better program. The only thing that Carolina has more of than Kentucky is final four appearances.
I agree that KY has a much better history but Kansas has now been to 34 straight NCAA Tournaments. There’s something to be said about that.

The discussion is all-time. That’s Kentucky. If the discussion is this century or last 40 years, it’s someone else.
It can be debated all time. Especially since they got their greatest coach from Kansas. They do not own head to head against Carolina and Carolina has more Final Fours/ Sweet 16’s. Then of course UCLA has more titles. I could easily say UNC is better than Kentucky all time. They honestly probably are. MJ as an alum doesnt hurt either. To be as smug as they are you would think they would be a lot better than they really are. They wish they were Alabama, Michigan football.

He supports his argument with an avalanche of facts.

You support yours with an idiotic ad hominem.

“All-time” means all-time. I hate Kentucky. But they’re #1 all-time. And it’s an easy argument.
UCLA has more championships, the greatest college coach ever, the greatest college player ever. Has won 10 titles to 4 for Kentucky since segregation ended in CBB. Kentucky has more wins but thejr program has a couple of decades of extra basketball.

UCLA >>> Kentucky.

They're neck and neck but Kentucky's belief that they are the pinnacle of college basketball given the last several is getting comical. Their fans are the most obnoxious in the basketball world. Loved seeing them get beat yesterday. We'll see how DeBoer does but I'm hoping he falls on his face, lol.

Reactions: volplaya8
The argument for UNC or Duke, they are the only other team in the top 4 or 5 programs that have an in conference rival that's top 5 all time. Over the long course of one bid (Kentucky has awarded the bid by the league back in the day at times with a worse record than other schools in the SEC) from a league, having two power programs made that much harder for the other program.

Life in the ACC was much harder in basketball 1960-2000ish vs the SEC.

I agree that KY has a much better history but Kansas has now been to 34 straight NCAA Tournaments. There’s something to be said about that.
My post was not meant to **** on KU. They’re obviously one of the top 3-4 programs in the history of the sport. It’s just when you compare them all-time to KY, there’s not a lot of argument about who the better program is.

Reactions: BigBadVol
UCLA has more championships, the greatest college coach ever, the greatest college player ever. Has won 10 titles to 4 for Kentucky since segregation ended in CBB. Kentucky has more wins but thejr program has a couple of decades of extra basketball.

UCLA >>> Kentucky.

The only statements I would add to these comparisons are, a lot of those early wins were accumulated when unlimited scholarships allowed basketball schools to load up talent. Today talent is spread around.
Secondly freshman were not allowed to play for many years and players didn’t declare for the draft early.
Different era for sure. Just as football is different today.

Sec has always taken pride in baseball and other sports for that matter (basketball not so much)…you would be surprised how little people care about college basketball nationwide…if it was so popular most programs wouldn’t need football to exist…very few even make a profit…in the real world if you don’t make a profit we know what happens to your job or position
Could say the same about football. Would like to see how many teams outside of maybe top 50 actually turn any profit in football. More schools exiting football than basketball.

My post was not meant to **** on KU. They’re obviously one of the top 3-4 programs in the history of the sport. It’s just when you compare them all-time to KY, there’s not a lot of argument about who the better program is.
Agree...I think recency bias hurts Kentucky. They ran all over the SEC for decades, and now that SEC is hiring high level coaches, and NIL/Transfer rules come into play, the field is leveling and KY is struggling to keep pace with their model of one and done guys. Think Saban saw this coming and caused him to retire while he was ahead. Not sure about #1 argument for all time #1, but I think it's almost interchangeable w/ KY, UNC, Kansas. Duke up there too, UConn up there, and UCLA so impressive but it doesn't seem like they behave like an all time program over the last few decades past Wooden, other than a few splash years.

Yes people love March madness…that’s it. Outside of the states of Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina nobody really cares man. People just like the tournament and like to see multiple games on at the same time and root for upsets. It’s all about March and after the first two weekends people move on to other stuff and do not think about it until the next March. If people cared the schools in the Sec would have a history of basketball to match their football.
And don't forget the gambling interest during March Madness.

Reactions: volplaya8
I can remember a time when everyone filled out their brackets and almost everyone had: Duke/ North Carolina/Kentucky/Louisville because they were the 'blue bloods' of college basketball. Personally, I like how it is today where anyone can win it all and it's not just Duke playing NC for another title. Kentucky hasn't been relevant for some time now.
Hummmm, your memory doesn't go back very far.

VN Store

Back