Alabama Football/Kentucky Basketball

Wahoooo

Just wandering what everyone’s opinion is. Which fan base has the most unrealistic expectations and honestly believes they should win at least 8 or 9 out of every 10 championships?

Yes, I know Vol fans are up there, but I honestly believe that 90% of Vol fans would settle for 1 SEC championship every 5 years or so.

Reactions: beamerman
Just wandering what everyone’s opinion is. Which fan base has the most unrealistic expectations and honestly believes they should win at least 8 or 9 out of every 10 championships?

Yes, I know Vol fans are up there, but I honestly believe that 90% of Vol fans would settle for 1 SEC championship every 5 years or so.
Kentucky easily. Kentucky as a basketball program can't hold a candle to Alabama as a football program, yet their fans act like they are indeed the Alabama of basketball.

Not. Even. Close.

They won most of their titles when the tournament was 8 all white teams in shorty shorts with a coach named Adolph. 😄

Kentucky easily. Kentucky as a basketball program can't hold a candle to Alabama as a football program, yet their fans act like they are indeed the Alabama of basketball.

Not. Even. Close.

They won most of their titles when the tournament was 8 all white teams in shorty shorts with a coach named Adolph. 😄
On top of a sport that most of America does not care about. Everybody wants to be good at football. Outside of a few pockets of the country nobody cares about college basketball and it’s just an added bonus. Go look at the ratings of college basketball viewership in regular season. 8 Titles in over 100 years when the odds and participation leaned in their favor while Alabama has 7 Titles post Bear Bryant era…not even remotely close.

Not. Even. Close.

It would be funny if UTEP entered the tournament and beat them.

Expectations are pretty much the same and should be. Alabama is the top college football program of all time while Kentucky is the top college basketball program of all time. Both universities provide whatever is financially necessary in order to compete at the highest level. Both should be competing for national titles on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Pennheel
Expectations are pretty much the same and should be. Alabama is the top college football program of all time while Kentucky is the top college basketball program of all time. Both universities provide whatever is financially necessary in order to compete at the highest level. Both should be competing for national titles on a consistent basis.
Kentucky is most certainly NOT the top college basketball program of all time. You're severely misinformed.

UCLA, North Carolina and Kansas are all better historically. Duke is right there with Kentucky as well.
Is this a serious post? Do you honestly want to compare the histories of Kentucky and Kansas? Kentucky has more wins, a better winning percentage, double the amount of national titles, more national title game appearances, and more final fours. Besides that, KU is a better program. The only thing that Carolina has more of than Kentucky is final four appearances.

Is this a serious post? Do you honestly want to compare the histories of Kentucky and Kansas? Kentucky has more wins, a better winning percentage, double the amount of national titles, more national title game appearances, and more final fours. Besides that, KU is a better program.
blah blah most of Kentucky's damage was done during segregation in 16 team tournaments. You a closet Kentucky fan or nah?

blah blah most of Kentucky's damage was done during segregation in 16 team tournaments. You a closet Kentucky fan or nah?
I’m a closet Ky fan because I have an opinion that I backed up with facts? And no, most of their “damage” has come in the post-segregation era.

Reactions: sami and Pennheel
Ah yes, the good ole “I’ve lost the argument so I’ll just claim that you’re a fan of a hated rival.”
I didn’t lose any argument. Funny you didn’t mention UCLA in your “rebuttal”…

UCLA is far and away the better program historically and the others that I mentioned can definitely stake their claim as well.

I can remember a time when everyone filled out their brackets and almost everyone had: Duke/ North Carolina/Kentucky/Louisville because they were the 'blue bloods' of college basketball. Personally, I like how it is today where anyone can win it all and it's not just Duke playing NC for another title. Kentucky hasn't been relevant for some time now.

Reactions: njvols
I didn’t lose any argument. Funny you didn’t mention UCLA in your “rebuttal”…

UCLA is far and away the better program historically and the others that I mentioned can definitely stake their claim as well.
UCLA has one great stretch under Wooden. But if you’re going to qualify Kentucky’s success, shouldn’t you be doing the same with UCLA? After all, they were most successful in an era where you only had to win four games to win the title and when the tournament was regionalized. Meaning you only had to beat teams from the west coast to reach the final four. I honestly would put UCLA behind KY and UNC, and maybe even KU. All of those programs have won titles under at least three different coaches.

Reactions: VolnGermany
Oh you folks surely should visit Tarhole country. Absolutely the only basket ball team in the country! Naismith only thinks he invented the game. These folks believe that UNC not only invented the game, but bought the first peach baskets from South Carolina to make it possible. They think that they and they only have ownership to all national championships. They only lose when the refs. steal the game or they just give it away, they have actually never been beaten. The Holes have a HUGE bandwagon full of fans, but, it travels on very fragile wheels.

Did you forget the UGA Football fans of the 2020s?

On top of a sport that most of America does not care about. Everybody wants to be good at football. Outside of a few pockets of the country nobody cares about college basketball and it’s just an added bonus. Go look at the ratings of college basketball viewership in regular season. 8 Titles in over 100 years when the odds and participation leaned in their favor while Alabama has 7 Titles post Bear Bryant era…not even remotely close.
I'm a football fan first, basketball second, but would disagree that most of america doesn't care about basketball. Can't really compare regular season viewership b/c half the games are played during the week, and many more games, as regular season isn't as important. March Madness is a sporting event like none other. CFB going to 12 teams is a step in right direction.

I'm a football fan first, basketball second, but would disagree that most of america doesn't care about basketball. Can't really compare regular season viewership b/c half the games are played during the week, and many more games, as regular season isn't as important. March Madness is a sporting event like none other. CFB going to 12 teams is a step in right direction.
Yes people love March madness…that’s it. Outside of the states of Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina nobody really cares man. People just like the tournament and like to see multiple games on at the same time and root for upsets. It’s all about March and after the first two weekends people move on to other stuff and do not think about it until the next March. If people cared the schools in the Sec would have a history of basketball to match their football.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Yes people love March madness…that’s it. Outside of the states of Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina nobody really cares man. People just like the tournament and like to see multiple games on at the same time and root for upsets. It’s all about March and after the first two weekends people move on to other stuff and do not think about it until the next March. If people cared the schools in the Sec would have a history of basketball to match their football.
That was the fault of SEC teams in the past that didn't invest in other sports outside of football. The last 15-20 years they have,and it's shown. 8 SEC teams in the tournament this year. Second most in the tournament field. Not to mention the huge success with baseball and softball. College Football can be king,but I think the SEC has flourished as a conference in large part to football.

I also think that people care more about basketball outside of March. This part of the forum dedicated to basketball is proof of it. JMO

That was the fault of SEC teams in the past that didn't invest in other sports outside of football. The last 15-20 years they have,and it's shown. 8 SEC teams in the tournament this year. Second most in the tournament field. Not to mention the huge success with baseball and softball. College Football can be king,but I think the SEC has flourished as a conference in large part to football.

I also think that people care more about basketball outside of March. This part of the forum dedicated to basketball is proof of it. JMO
Sec has always taken pride in baseball and other sports for that matter (basketball not so much)…you would be surprised how little people care about college basketball nationwide…if it was so popular most programs wouldn’t need football to exist…very few even make a profit…in the real world if you don’t make a profit we know what happens to your job or position

Ratings and money support his point. I don’t care about any basketball besides Tennessee until March. It’s hard to care because regular season games are rendered meaningless by a tournament that randomizes the entire season. And basketball is the most affected by officiating.

It’s not just the SEC that didn’t prioritize basketball. In the Big 8, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. were football schools. Kansas was the basketball school. In the Big 10, Indiana was the basketball school. Every conference had its school that was terrible at football so prioritized basketball as the path of least resistance, while the others beat each other up in football.

It passes the football offseason. I love Tennessee basketball. But it’s not football. Hell, I like college baseball better.

VN Store

Back