AJ Causey

Dolly 2023, was not very good at all...Had a terrific 2022, SEC pitcher of the year and then sorta bombs out the next year...How did it happen??
rough crowd……he was drafted #9 pick.

2023 Highlights:

Season K/9: 13.1

Had his most dominant start of the season at #9 South Carolina (5/20), striking out 13 batters and not allowing any walks over 5.1 innings while giving up two runs on just two hits

Earned a win against #15 Kentucky (5/13), striking out six Wildcats across five innings while allowing three runs

Posted a quality start in loss at Georgia (5/6), striking out six while allowing three runs on eight hits over six innings

Pitched his first-career complete game in 17-1 run-rule victory over #2 Vanderbilt (4/22), striking out nine batters while allowing just one run on six hits in seven innings of work

Tallied eight strikeouts and allowed just two hits in 4.2 innings at #5 Arkansas (4/15), retiring 11 straight batters at one point

Battled toe-to-toe with LSU ace Paul Skenes but didn’t factor into the decision at #1 LSU (3/30) as he allowed two runs in 4.2 innings and gave up just four hits while striking out three batters

Turned in a quality start in the SEC home opener, going 6.2 innings, striking out eight and allowing three runs in a win over #12 Texas A&M (3/24)

Gave Tennessee 5.2 innings and struck out 11 against Morehead State (3/10), marking his third consecutive game with double-digit punchouts

Continued to deal against Gonzaga (3/3), allowing no runs and striking out 11 hitters across six innings in the victory
Mowed down the Flyers in his 2023 home debut, striking out 12 in 5.2 innings against Dayton (2/24) to earn his first victory of the year

Tossed 4.2 strong innings on Opening Day against Arizona (2/17) at the MLB Desert Invitational, allowing just three hits while striking out seven, but was stuck with the loss, his first in a Tennessee uniform

Dolly 2023, was not very good at all...Had a terrific 2022, SEC pitcher of the year and then sorta bombs out the next year...How did it happen??
Ha. MLB and every NCAA manager would disagree. The 23 Dolly was great. The 22 version was unicorn elite. With advanced analytics, virtual pitching machines, etc, hitters and coaches had a full season to adjust. Plus, the strike zone was a bit tighter in 23 than 22. All factored into more offense and higher ERAs.

Reactions: VolPack22 and vol66
rough crowd……he was drafted #9 pick.

2023 Highlights:

Season K/9: 13.1

Had his most dominant start of the season at #9 South Carolina (5/20), striking out 13 batters and not allowing any walks over 5.1 innings while giving up two runs on just two hits

Earned a win against #15 Kentucky (5/13), striking out six Wildcats across five innings while allowing three runs

Posted a quality start in loss at Georgia (5/6), striking out six while allowing three runs on eight hits over six innings

Pitched his first-career complete game in 17-1 run-rule victory over #2 Vanderbilt (4/22), striking out nine batters while allowing just one run on six hits in seven innings of work

Tallied eight strikeouts and allowed just two hits in 4.2 innings at #5 Arkansas (4/15), retiring 11 straight batters at one point

Battled toe-to-toe with LSU ace Paul Skenes but didn’t factor into the decision at #1 LSU (3/30) as he allowed two runs in 4.2 innings and gave up just four hits while striking out three batters

Turned in a quality start in the SEC home opener, going 6.2 innings, striking out eight and allowing three runs in a win over #12 Texas A&M (3/24)

Gave Tennessee 5.2 innings and struck out 11 against Morehead State (3/10), marking his third consecutive game with double-digit punchouts

Continued to deal against Gonzaga (3/3), allowing no runs and striking out 11 hitters across six innings in the victory
Mowed down the Flyers in his 2023 home debut, striking out 12 in 5.2 innings against Dayton (2/24) to earn his first victory of the year

Tossed 4.2 strong innings on Opening Day against Arizona (2/17) at the MLB Desert Invitational, allowing just three hits while striking out seven, but was stuck with the loss, his first in a Tennessee uniform
Nice cut and paste by the way...This still doesn't explain why Doe went from 10-0, era of 2.39, in 2022, to 7-6, era of 4.75, in 2023...Certainly a tighter strike zone makes it tougher on a pitcher, but go back and look at his games in 2022, as compared to 2023. It's almost like a completely different pitcher. He's always had elite velocity, and I thought in 2022, had elite breaking stuff as well. Things were very different in 2023, and some MLB scouts have speculated that he changed up his delivery for 2023. My thinking is why would you change anything about your delivery coming off the 2022 season...Doesn't make sense but I was hoping some of our baseball insiders on this board would have some additional insight...BTW, prior to 2023 season, Doe was a project #2 pick...Still did very well at #9.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nice cut and paste by the way...This still doesn't explain why Doe went from 10-0, era of 2.39, in 2022, to 7-6, era of 4.75, in 2023...Certainly a tighter strike zone makes it tougher on a pitcher, but go back and look at his games in 2022, as compared to 2023. It's almost like a completely different pitcher. He's always had elite velocity, and I thought in 2022, had elite breaking stuff as well. Things were very different in 2023, and some MLB scouts have speculated that he changed up his delivery for 2023. My thinking is why would you change anything about your delivery coming off the 2022 season...Doesn't make sense but I was hoping some of our baseball insiders on this board would have some additional insight...BTW, prior to 2023 season, Doe was a project #2 pick...Still did very well at #9.
Scouts seen enough to make him a top 10 pick.

Ha. MLB and every NCAA manager would disagree. The 23 Dolly was great. The 22 version was unicorn elite. With advanced analytics, virtual pitching machines, etc, hitters and coaches had a full season to adjust. Plus, the strike zone was a bit tighter in 23 than 22. All factored into more offense and higher ERAs.
If you were a Vol pitcher, the strike zone was extremely tight. NCAA was in the middle of teaching us a lesson.

I did see an article where he said he changed his grip on his elite slider to get more sweep. He has now changed it back.

I think pitchers mess with stuff every year to see if it works or to show something different. Some works. Some doesn't. I told Kirby after yesterday that his stance on the mound that he has changed a little must have been noticed since the Alabama coaching staff questioned it. It did not change anything since it proved to the umpires that it was indeed legal. I think they were just trying to get in his head. He did what he wanted to do and pitched around their 2 good hitters and got the #4 hitter to get an out. So it worked. He hates pitching around guys but some times you have to. You just hope it does not hurt you. He wanted that BB column to stay at 0 but there is no column for (We tried to get him to chase but he wouldn't so we threw him 4 pitches away from the zone). ;)

I put it because they were discussing how pitchers change things and it affects them. Every year pitchers change things from grips to pitches to this year Kirby changed where he stood on the mound. Causey actually worked on his motion and arm slot and it made him more effective. Dollander experimented and it didn't work so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sorry for interrupting.

What does Connell’s adventure on the mound Sunday afternoon have to do with AJ Causey and Dollander?
What did Dollander have to do with Causey? This thread was made in appreciation of Causey if you want to be technical about it. Also by the way, I love hearing how players parents explain to us what’s going on with the guys on the field. It gives us a view we don’t get to see. Mr. Connell, thank you for you insight and I enjoy hearing your input about Kirby and the team.

I put it because they were discussing how pitchers change things and it affects them. Every year pitchers change things from grips to pitches to this year Kirby changed where he stood on the mound. Causey actually worked on his motion and arm slot and it made him more effective. Dollander experimented and it didn't work so sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sorry for interrupting.
Don’t apologize sir, a lot of us on here enjoy hearing your take on the game and the view from players perspective. Thank you for giving us your insight about Kirby and the team.

VN Store

Back