Aidoo to the portal confirmed

This will be better for Aidoo and for UT. He wasn't improving with experience and had reached his ceiling at this level of competition. He has needed to add weight, muscle, and aggressiveness since his freshman year. After 3 years, you would think he would have developed more consistency than he has. He had moments of promise and hopefully he finds a new school where he can have more.
He clearly improved every year? No reason to think he wouldn’t improve more next season.

Reactions: EasternVol
What am I assuming? That he is not the best rim protector out there? That there might be someone out there better than he? Yeah and that's not denigrating, that is just a fair assessment.

He chose to leave. He doesn't want to play for Tennessee any longer. He doesn't want you as a fan aany longer. I hope we upgrade because I am still pulling for Tennessee. He chose to leave. Go Big Orange!

Are you being serious? You got lost in a convo with 3 posts?

Why should they? The NBA tried to. Now they're pulling back because it wasn't working.

It sounds like you want a transformation of the system in the interest of saving boosters from wasting their $? Why? WTF cares about that?

To be fair, the NBA is pulling back because NIL is better than G-League. More exposure and more money (I assume without looking). I agree with your position overall, though.

Upgrade the rim protection? Aidoo was one of the best rim protectors we've ever had. He had 1.8 bpg this season, which is 5th all time for us, and he didn't even play 25 mpg. He had more stocks than fouls. That's the mark of a really good defender.

I don't think most people understand the value of a good help defender like Aidoo. Aidoo is a big impact guy against 90% of opponents, but he's not a good defender against great bigs. We're so mad about the 10% that we don't appreciate what a huge contribution the guy made to our overall success. I'll miss him. Hopefully we can replace his minutes. Awaka is good, but is not a very good help defender. It was nice having both options. Maybe Estrella will be good, but Aidoo was way better than him this year, and somehow a good portion of our fans look at them completely differently.
I know people like to use blocks as a defensive stat but they're actually not a great indicator for defense. Look at the NBA and most big men have their highest blocks per game in their first 2 or 3 seasons.
Saw some analysis that the high block numbers were because they were tall/athletic, but often out of correct position on defense, leaving block attemps as their last resort on shots they shouldn't have allowed. As they learn to play better positional defense, the block numbers decline.

Advanced stats bear this out as teams with high block rate players don't translate to teams with good defensive efficiency at any better rate than teams that aren't good at blocking shots.

The positioning aspect comes into play because most blocks happen on shot attempts within 6 feet of the basket. NBA teams make 61 percent of those shots. It's considered bad defense to allow them. Rudy Gobert wins DPOY awards because he's great at not allowing people to get those shots near the basket. 0 percent of shots go in that aren't taken.

Anthony Davis, Rudy Gobert, Joel Embiid, Karl Anthony Towns etc, all had their peak block per game years within their first three seasons in the league.

Agreed with you. I do wander when fans start deciding it's a business decision and check out though.
Love my Vols til the end but I have already checked out on attending or watching a lot of sports.

With the never ending rise of tickets, I just sit back and ask how people afford this stuff.

Saw Final Four tickets for upward of 12 K.

Even the NC ST football game in Sept is on the high end of football tickets ut seems.

To be fair, the NBA is pulling back because NIL is better than G-League. More exposure and more money (I assume without looking). I agree with your position overall, though.

Yeah, and that's what I was meaning when I said it, but the fact that the G-league is conceding this means to me that college/NIL is the better product and NBA shouldn't be pursuing a competition.

Love my Vols til the end but I have already checked out on attending or watching a lot of sports.

With the never ending rise of tickets, I just sit back and ask how people afford this stuff.

Even the NC ST football game in Sept is on the high end of football tickets ut seems.

I checked out going to big time live events several years ago. The prices(food, tickets, gas) are too much. Especially when you can sit back in the recliner and watch on your big Screen.

I still go to some ETSU games. They are still reasonable

I checked out going to big time live events several years ago. The prices(food, tickets, gas) are too much. Especially when you can sit back in the recliner and watch on your big Screen.

Same here. ETSU and minor league baseball games are still very affordable.

I know people like to use blocks as a defensive stat but they're actually not a great indicator for defense. Look at the NBA and most big men have their highest blocks per game in their first 2 or 3 seasons.
Saw some analysis that the high block numbers were because they were tall/athletic, but often out of correct position on defense, leaving block attemps as their last resort on shots they shouldn't have allowed. As they learn to play better positional defense, the block numbers decline.

Advanced stats bear this out as teams with high block rate players don't translate to teams with good defensive efficiency at any better rate than teams that aren't good at blocking shots.

The positioning aspect comes into play because most blocks happen on shot attempts within 6 feet of the basket. NBA teams make 61 percent of those shots. It's considered bad defense to allow them. Rudy Gobert wins DPOY awards because he's great at not allowing people to get those shots near the basket. 0 percent of shots go in that aren't taken.

Anthony Davis, Rudy Gobert, Joel Embiid, Karl Anthony Towns etc, all had their peak block per game years within their first three seasons in the league.

I'm probably the most pro advanced metrics guy on this entire site.

I kind of agree with you but need to re-frame what you are saying. Blocks are not overrated, but we do tend to underrate centers that don't get a lot of blocks. Like Bam Adebayo, for instance. He cuts people off so they never get to the hoop. But most centers can't move like him. For most centers, you want to be seeing lots of blocks. A center's ability to pile up stocks while avoiding fouls is a very strong indicator that the guy is a great defender

Centers usually get more blocks while they're younger because they have more explosive athleticism at the time. Shaq put on 50 lbs and couldn't move as well. That's the most obvious example. But they all add some weight and age.

In a lot of your post, you're talking about team defense, but we're only talking about a center. A center who gets a lot of blocks mostly gets them by cleaning up other guys' messes. Not by being out of position guarding hos own man.

And FWIW, I remember Haralabob (former stat geek for Dallas Mavs) saying that blocks for college small forwards was one of the best predictors of NBA talent.

Last edited:

UT sports are now all about money. The regular fan can't afford to attend UT sports events unless they own a bank or have tons of discretionary funds.

UT sports are now all about money. The regular fan can't afford to attend UT sports events unless they own a bank or have tons of discretionary funds.

It's crazy how much live events of all kinds are in demand. I can't believe the prices people will pay for nosebleeds at an NBA game or a concert/comedy show. I'm the biggest NBA fan I know, and I want to puke thinking about $85-135 tickets for the worst seats in the house. Few people in the building care more than me. I'm not poor. How do they put 20k butts in the seats every night at those prices? Modest lower bowl seats to see the Lakers when they come to town? Might as well take my family to Disneyland for 2 days.

Respect your opinion but is my understanding the coaching staff is pretty high on his potential
The biggest problem was attitude and I didn’t see a positive attitude showing from his play. Potential can not be obtained with out a posit attitude.

Yeah, it's gotten to the point where it costs more than I am willing to spend. Within reason, I would make an exception for a NC or Final Four appearance, a once in a lifetime event, but for what you might spend to go see UT play NC State, you could take a vacation somewhere.

I don't go to things anymore unless I get tickets from someone or get a good deal. From the tickets to the parking to the food and that's just the price, not counting I have less patience for the hassle and the time commitment. I like live sports but it just feels like such a big lift financially now.

I kinda wish the UFL would last long enough for Nashville to get a team becaues I would go to those games. I could fit right in going to a game with just 10K people

Reactions: vols 30
Nah, this is nothing but business. They want bigger paydays or a shot at more playing time. The vast majority won't be making NBA salaries so this is their time to make hay.
If you can command more NIL money, you can definitely make millions playing over seas. Unlike football, there are financial alternatives to the NBA in terms of leagues.

I stopped listening reguarly even before Travis left which was like 10 yeras ago. It was already getting a bit much. Travis always was a hot take jackass but he lost me when he slobbered all over James Franklin and started trolling Vol fans over it and acted like a spoiled brat when called out about it. But then when he left and the Mickey guy joined and Blaine Biship and blah it just all sucked. Also no offense to the late Frank Wycheck but I always thought he sucked on the show and calling Titan games. I don't know if his head issues contributed but he also simply didn't have a radio voice.
Frank had substance issues related to past football stuff. Sad sad story honestly. Guaranteed he had CTE as well

VN Store

Back