Aidoo to the portal confirmed

Basilio said that Aidoo is asking for more than Dalton Knecht got last year lol. (Supposedly was highest compensated on the team at 500k)
I have to wonder if the expected distribution of minutes for the 5 next year is a factor in our evaluation of NIL value and POSSIBLY getting fewer minutes to build his draft stock is big for him as well. Need a fly on Coach's wall.

If he goes to UNC, it sucks but I’ll eventually get over it and be able to look back on his career here with fondness once the pain has subsided.

If he goes to Arkansas or Alabama, he should have his footprint erased from the Tennessee record books and he should never be mentioned again.

I said what I said.

Unfortunately, I think we’re going to see more and more key players jumping from one school to a rival school. Maybe Aidoo doesn’t do that, but I do think we will start seeing that happen more often.When the almighty dollar drives decisions, rivalries pale in comparison.

If he goes to UNC, it sucks but I’ll eventually get over it and be able to look back on his career here with fondness once the pain has subsided.

If he goes to Arkansas or Alabama, he should have his footprint erased from the Tennessee record books and he should never be mentioned again.

I said what I said.

I’m curious to know why Awaka and Aidoo don’t get along.

Could have something to do with it.

I said what I said.
I’ve pretty much already lost any of my fan appreciation for Aidoo. I thought he had received a “too good to turn down” offer that we weren’t willing to match. I could understand someone leaving in that situation. Instead, it appears his handler is just out shopping Jonas around looking for a better offer.

I’ve pretty much already lost any of my fan appreciation for Aidoo. I thought he had received a “too good to turn down” offer that we weren’t willing to match. I could understand someone leaving in that situation. Instead, it appears his handler is just out shopping Jonas around looking for a better offer.
Sometimes change is best for everyone involved. I'm okay with him leaving.

Reactions: SugarVols
Basilio was saying yesterday that Aidoo intended to stay, then fired his representation leading up to Wednesday. Hired some new hot shot agent that started throwing out crazy numbers and advised he enter the portal.
If that's so, the agent probably wants to start a bidding war to maximize his value, but I don't know that he'll get very far. Aidoo might be more valuable to Tennessee than any other school, and isn't really a slam dunk pickup because of his deficiencies (all of which I think he has the tools to fix). I think Duke and UNC would both take him and both would move on rather than compete with each other if his offer doesn't satisfy the agent.

Once you enter the portal, do you forfeit your scholarship and have to ask to get it back if you decide not to transfer? Or do you have your current scholarship as your backup in case you do not get picked up?

You should lose the scholarship immediately upon entering the portal. That way, if you do not go somewhere else, you are stuck taking a lower offer or risk losing your spot with the current school. Needs to be some risk associated with this for the athlete...if it is all gain, no risk, then why not put your name out there every year just to see if someone bites.

Reactions: turbovol
Once you enter the portal, do you forfeit your scholarship and have to ask to get it back if you decide not to transfer? Or do you have your current scholarship as your backup in case you do not get picked up?

You should lose the scholarship immediately upon entering the portal. That way, if you do not go somewhere else, you are stuck taking a lower offer or risk losing your spot with the current school. Needs to be some risk associated with this for the athlete...if it is all gain, no risk, then why not put your name out there every year just to see if someone bites.

You answered your own question.

If a player enters the portal, it's up to the school whether they want to allow the player to return on scholarship.

Basilio was saying yesterday that Aidoo intended to stay, then fired his representation leading up to Wednesday. Hired some new hot shot agent that started throwing out crazy numbers and advised he enter the portal.
It really seems like a Quinshon Judkins deal where he ends up getting less than he would ah e had he stayed where he was

Would Aidoo get more minutes at N.C. with Washington in house or is it strictly NIL $

Seems like we would match the NIL $ unless we are puting more money into the other transfers
instead of raising Aidoo's cash.

Would Aidoo get more minutes at N.C. with Washington in house or is it strictly NIL $

Seems like we would match the NIL $ unless we are puting more money into the other transfers
instead of raising Aidoo's cash.

Doesn’t seem like the coaches put much effort into keeping Aidoo.

Maybe they didn’t agree with the price tag he was asking for.

Reactions: orangemadam
Doesn’t seem like the coaches put much effort into keeping Aidoo.

Maybe they didn’t agree with the price tag he was asking for.
They had to work to keep him last year. Now he's back in it. At some point, you just have to accept he wants to leave and move on. See Tyler Baron. Good luck to the kid, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over his departure. Aidoo wants to be somewhere else, go for it.

That’s not accurate. I mentioned this a week (ish) ago. There are a few basketball focused schools, among them, UNC, Indiana etc. who entered this season with the authority to spend enough to buy a championship team. Some of the NIL offers have been 2x or more what they were last year. UNC contacted Aidoo via agent to offer a large NIL deal. They tried last year. This year the offer is much more. The UNC offer arrived via an agent. The agent is not the cause of the offer. You can see Meisha Mashack commenting on this last week as well. Awaka and Aidoo were not coordinated. Awaka left assuming Aidoo would stay. Keeping Awaka would be much less money, as doubling his NIL from last year is still much less than the scale of what Aidoo was offered. Aidoo isn’t a bad kid. He didn’t have a foot out the door. If anything, he was down about letting down the team. There was just a big shift in the market.

VN Store

Back