Afghanistan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScyVd-hXNk[/youtube]

Just messing with you...

Funny, I had to get on the lap top to see it. It would not show up on the phone. For others on here I would not have made the effort. :good!:

I guess we didn't pay attention to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

I guess we didn't pay attention to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

I have faith that at least a few Brigade Level Commanders and above are well versed in the Friendship Bridge story; if not, then our Servicemembers are screwed.

this is why I spend more time reading in here and less time posting. By the time I decide what I think you quick whits have moved on. It sucks being old.

My Brother came home from Afghanistan the week before Vandy. Clearly I want the rest to come home as well. I can't decide why the hell we're over there.

You have held your own in various threads. Hell, in the eyes of OE we are alters.

Oh and tell your brother, an anonymous person from halfway around the world is appreciative of his service. I'm glad he is home.

Just my thoughts on the situation, sorry for the rant.

One of the better analysis of Afghanistan that I have came across.

As with orangeslice's brother, I thank you for your service.

When I joined the Army on July 2, 2001, I did not sign up to fight for stability in Afghanistan; nor did I sign up to establish democracy in Iraq.

TRUT, thank you for your service. I had no idea you were a Ranger. Shocking actually. Never figured a graduate student of Philosophy being a former Ranger.

You have held your own in various threads. Hell, in the eyes of OE we are alters.

Oh and tell your brother, an anonymous person from halfway around the world is appreciative of his service. I'm glad he is home.

One of the better analysis of Afghanistan that I have came across.

As with orangeslice's brother, I thank you for your service.
:hi:

TRUT, thank you for your service. I had no idea you were a Ranger. Shocking actually. Never figured a graduate student of Philosophy being a former Ranger.

One of my best commanders went to Seminary and then graduate school in philosophy at a top Ivy League school after he had commanded a company in the 2nd Ranger Battalion. He went on to retire as a 3 Star General. Philosophy=logic=solid decision making. I love how TrUT uses VN as a sounding board for his explorations but looking through the smoke, I think he'd be ok by my side in a fight. Just my take.

One of my best commanders went to Seminary and then graduate school in philosophy at a top Ivy League school after he had commanded a company in the 2nd Ranger Battalion. He went on to retire as a 3 Star General. Philosophy=logic=solid decision making. I love how TrUT uses VN as a sounding board for his explorations but looking through the smoke, I think he'd be ok by my side in a fight. Just my take.

Honored and humbled.

Right back at you.

Sounds like a great guy to have as your superior.

As a science major, my science and engineering buddies (me included) tended to look down upon non-science (and engineering) majors for obvious reasons. Especially on thirsty Thursdays and Fridays when they were out having a good time while we were having hot dates with Hodges. However, I always insisted on excluding Philosophy majors. Some of the smartest people I met at school were Philosophy majors.

In the future, if I have the opportunity to hire an employee for an opening which does not require a highly specialized skill, I will look for a Philosophy major. Normally, it isn't too difficult to train an intelligent person for a particular job. However, it is rare to fine a person that has been trained to not only to think on a higher level but to question everything in a critical, logic manner. Furthermore, philosophical minds tend to be able to "think outside the box" so to speak and attack problems from angles not normally taken.

The excuse was to defeat Al Qaeda and punish the Taliban for not handing them over and for allowing them to train in their country. The reason we went and are still there is because we see it in our national interest to have influence in the region. Afghanistan gives us a spot from where we can influence events in Iran, Pakistan and all of Central Asia and their mineral and oil reserves.

:yes:

I ain't no military strategist but I can read a map. Iraq is on one side of Iran and Afghanistan is on the other. Pretty clear that we were thinking a presence in each would allow us to squeeze. Likewise, with an alliance with India we could squeeze Pah-kee-shhhhtaaaan (to use the Presidential affectation).

:yes:

I ain't no military strategist but I can read a map. Iraq is on one side of Iran and Afghanistan is on the other. Pretty clear that we were thinking a presence in each would allow us to squeeze. Likewise, with an alliance with India we could squeeze Pah-kee-shhhhtaaaan (to use the Presidential affectation).

Yep, but ultimately the rest of central asia is more important--there's a lot of oil and important minerals in the region.

Interesting thing is that the Indians are very interested in growing the relationship with us but at the same time, since Bhutto was killed the Pakis have opened up a lot more opportunities. If we can keep from blatantly shooting their people we could be in a good situation with both of these nuclear powers.

WASHINGTON — President Obama decided in recent weeks to authorize a more expansive mission for the military in Afghanistan in 2015 than originally planned, a move that ensures American troops will have a direct role in fighting in the war-ravaged country for at least another year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/u...ds-us-role-in-afghan-combat.html?src=twr&_r=0

We will never leave. One year turns into another and yet another....
What possible difference would it otherwise make leaving now than in 2016. Not a damn bit other than reviving the opium business.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, conservatives are currently whining like a bunch of babies about us leaving Iraq too soon. Maybe he's wanting to prevent something like that from happening there.

Nowadays, you don't go into a hostile country and ever really control it. With technology the way it is today, you can forget about it. The days of easy conquests and occupation are long gone.

WASHINGTON — President Obama decided in recent weeks to authorize a more expansive mission for the military in Afghanistan in 2015 than originally planned, a move that ensures American troops will have a direct role in fighting in the war-ravaged country for at least another year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/22/u...ds-us-role-in-afghan-combat.html?src=twr&_r=0

We will never leave. One year turns into another and yet another....
What possible difference would it otherwise make leaving now than in 2016. Not a damn bit other than reviving the opium business.
Complete waste of time, money, and lives.
We should just come home.

Reactions: 2 people
I am sure they will say that's "seeds of freedom" they are watching over. Taxpayers dollars hard at work my friend. War on drugs MY A$$$$$$$!

And if you criticize our endless military interventions all over the world in the name of "spreading democracy" or the "war on terror" well you're siding with the terrorists and you hate America. Because might makes right in this twisted world in which we live. Sometimes it seems the whole world has gone mad.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back