A sub-$1000 TV vs a $2000+ TV

I certainly won't chastise anyone for dropping the cash for a 4k or OLED, but I can't imagine not enjoying a good flick on most any of the widely available affordable televisions.

But I can promise you that you would enjoy your OLED more :)

One more note: bigger is most certainly better with gaming. Sports and FPS are unbelievable on the movie screen, and the advantage is even greater in split-screen mode.

I don't have a ton of time to play, but my experience on Madden, Forza, COD, and Tomb Raider has been awesome. It's more of a fully-immersive effect.

One more note: bigger is most certainly better with gaming. Sports and FPS are unbelievable on the movie screen, and the advantage is even greater in split-screen mode.

I don't have a ton of time to play, but my experience on Madden, Forza, COD, and Tomb Raider has been awesome. It's more of a fully-immersive effect.
And the bigger the set, the more of a difference you see between a budget Vizio model and a OLED

Quick google search informed me I will not be having a OLED tv in my near future.

Wow.

Quick google search informed me I will not be having a OLED tv in my near future.

Wow.

They will drastically drop within the next couple of years. Much like when 1080 HD TVs came out, they were upwards of the $3,000 range.

Ok.

I did some looking around.

I found multiple 4K UHD tv's for 800-1000 bucks.

I paid 700 for my Led lcd tv that has an outstanding picture on it. (Recently gave it to my son)

So I'm in the market for a new tv. I mainly watch movies and football. That's it. I'm not a audio/video nut, so is that not a suitable replacement for me?

Ok.

I paid 700 for my Led lcd tv that has an outstanding picture on it. (Recently gave it to my son)

So I'm in the market for a new tv. I mainly watch movies and football. That's it. I'm not a audio/video nut, so is that not a suitable replacement for me?

I did a bunch of research on a good budget 4k tv and almost every review I read recommended the Vizio M Series. It is not the best tv- it isn't even Vizios top of the line. However, it is a great all around 4k tv for the money.
https://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries.html

Ok.

Personally I don't think you need a 4K UHD TV given the limited programming and the minimal benefits. As I understand it HDR is a bigger improvement than 4K or UltraHD. Not sure if non 4K sets come with HDR but if they do that would be the go to.

This site by the way has some great info and very thorough product reviews.

HDR TV: What is it and should you care?

Ok.

I'd go with an HP.........

oh wait, wrong thread

Personally I don't think you need a 4K UHD TV given the limited programming and the minimal benefits. As I understand it HDR is a bigger improvement than 4K or UltraHD. Not sure if non 4K sets come with HDR but if they do that would be the go to.

This site by the way has some great info and very thorough product reviews.

HDR TV: What is it and should you care?

Thank you sir!

That's my next toy I want. Refinishing the basement and want a projector down there for games.

It's well worth the investment. I went with a sound-transparent screen and my in-walls project through it with no cabinet space required. You can't tell any difference in the newer screens (the older ones had little pinholes everywhere that were fairly obvious). Pair that with a good sub and some ceiling mount surrounds and you are golden.

Home media rooms can be expensive.. Real expensive

But also much more affordable than some might think, while still providing an awesome experience.

Ex: decent projector and fixed screen $1000, entry-level receiver + 5 speakers + sub $1500... For $2500 (cost of a 55" LCD a decade ago), you have a system that would blow most people away.

Obviously, those prices can balloon as high as your tastes, especially if you get into reference-grade stuff, but A/V equipment has become remarkably affordable. Of course, I remember the days of sitting in the hi-fi rooms at Statement A/V gawking over $15,000 speakers and $20,000 projector setups.

But also much more affordable than some might think, while still providing an awesome experience.

Ex: decent projector and fixed screen $1000, entry-level receiver + 5 speakers + sub $1500... For $2500 (cost of a 55" LCD a decade ago), you have a system that would blow most people away.

Obviously, those prices can balloon as high as your tastes, especially if you get into reference-grade stuff, but A/V equipment has become remarkably affordable. Of course, I remember the days of sitting in the hi-fi rooms at Statement A/V gawking over $15,000 speakers and $20,000 projector setups.

I know.. 102" screen and projector

I think all I was saying that there isn't enough difference in the two televisions that would justify the 2.5 times mark up. Sure, if you want to pay a premium for marginally better picture, knock yourself out, man. Same goes to those that would rather pay the extra markup on a Lexus instead of a Toyota.

Toyota Corp. makes Lexus dont they ?

VN Store

Back