A Realistic West Virginia Fan

No matter When WVU loses a few games the stands begin to become less and less filled, but you will always see Tennessee's stadium full even if they are 4-8.

In Tennessee's storied history we have NEVER lost 8 games!

O wait. We got butchered by Lyle and company. Good point sir.

I remember watching that 2007 game against Pitt from my hotel room in Atlanta when UT played LSU in the SEC championship and Erik Ainge had an amazing 4th quarter meltdown. My WVU friends still claim to this day that Rich Rod threw that game. What do you think ?
I can see why people would say that, but at the same time why would you not try and win a game that could get you into a national championship? if you win that game you are still going to have other major blue blood colleges want you to be your coach. I think we just choked Pat White and Steve Slaton weren't healthy. Our beloved kicker Pat McAfee missed two field goals he normally made. We make those two and we have a different ball game. I think we just failed to handle the pressure. Still hurts to this day.

I’ve never understood telling a fan of a team you’re about to play “good luck”. Good luck with what? Why would I want your team to have good fortune on the field? The object is to win the game isn’t it?
Good luck with not having any injuries. Good luck with your season going forward. I personally hope after losing to us 🤞that WVU goes on to an 11-1 season. It looks better for us

lol, agreed. i went to the last back yard brawl, and whilst standing in line for beer (which was awesome at a regular season college game) this 10 year old kid comes out wearing a PItt sweatshirt, and this, probably mid 40's, grown man yelled at the kid "eat **** Pitt!!".

i was like dayumn......and i saw two fights outside the stadium immediately following the game.
It's all fanbases. I almost got in a fight with a drunk Dale Jr fan several years back who was cursing at my 7 year old daughter because she was cheering for a real driver.

Good morning VolNation! I am a die hard West Virginia sports fan. Like you all, every year brings new hopes and expectations into our programs (of course I believe we are going to go undefeated and win the national championship).

This year should be interesting because we have such high expectations and a lot of returners on offense. However, every year when we have big expectations something bad happens. For instance, in 2012 we started 5-0, but finished the season 7-5. We were one win away from going to the National Championship in 2007, but we do not talk about that day. We have a saying in West Virginia that "West Virginia will always break your heart". No matter what the sport it seems like they always find some way to come up short.

In recent years, defense has been our #1 problem. I have no clue what to expect from them this year. However, I do expect them to be better than last year. I don't know how much better, but they have to be. We received transfers from USC and Clemson to help us on our defensive line and apparently they have looked good in practice. Also, we have a freshman 4 star recruit (yes four stars are a big deal for us) that has been turning heads in practice. The linebackers will be solid led by David Long (this guy can play). The biggest question mark will be the secondary and who knows how they will produce.

Every fan base has their bad eggs, but that's what makes college football so exciting. Our happiness is determined by what 18-22 year olds do on a football field. I believe this game will be extremely close. I do not think we will beat you all by three touchdowns (even though it would be nice). I expect you all to be well prepared and pumped up to play. I expect the final score to be WVU 38 Tenn 30, at least I hope.

I just wanted to wish you all best of luck and hope both teams stay injury free. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your fan base. Through thick and thin you stay behind your team. When WVU loses a few games the stands begin to become less and less filled, but you will always see Tennessee's stadium full even if they are 4-8.

If you all have any questions about WVU, please feel free to ask!

LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS! AND EAT **** PITT!

Welcome!

The way I view this game is like this - it's a big game for the VOLS, if we win it will be a huge boost for the team and fan base and a standing eight count for WVU, UT going 4-8 last year taking down a Top 10 team to open the season. Conversely, if WVU it's a big win to start the season and for UT, well it confirms what UT fans had expected but not wanting to admit out loud - a rebuild is underway.

Good luck to WVU AFTER the UT game!! LOL

GBO

It's all fanbases. I almost got in a fight with a drunk Dale Jr fan several years back who was cursing at my 7 year old daughter because she was cheering for a real driver.
back in 92 i almost got in a fight with two TN fans at the TN/MEM game at the Liberty bowl. it was when Phil was the interim. these two were screaming "we want johnny" the whole time, and my grandmother had enough and told them to settle down.

one of them piped up and said "why don't you shut up you old ******". now, i was 19....and upon hearing this, i showed my azz to these two clowns. told the one doing the talking, "stfu, or i'm going to beat your azz in front of your drunk friend".

lol. my grandmother told that story for years with pride.

didn't have any problems from those to the rest of the game. lol. fortunately, i've grown up since then.......

so yeah, it's not exclusive to any single fan base....

Another realistic WVU fan here who lives in Alabama. Been watchin over 40 years and the only thing that surprises me about WVU football is a win. I think we win because the offense should be pretty good out the gate (or at least better than the 1st game last year agin VT). But I won't be surprised if UT wins. No, ain't wishing you any good luck until after we win! :)
After that, please beat Bama. I probably hate to hear them as much as you do. And no, most of us ain't overconfident.

Reactions: FïreBall
Realistic WVU fan, if you could only choose one, and it's probably an easy answer considering conference implications:

Would you rather beat UT but lose again to OU, or lose to UT coming off an 0-8 SEC season and derail the hype train, but finally get that Oklahoma monkey off your back at the end of the season?

Reactions: Realistic WVU Fan
Realistic WVU fan, if you could only choose one, and it's probably an easy answer considering conference implications:

Would you rather beat UT but lose again to OU, or lose to UT coming off an 0-8 SEC season and derail the hype train, but finally get that Oklahoma monkey off your back at the end of the season?
I would gladly rather get the monkey off our back against OU because if we did that we would likely be in the picture of winning the Big12. I would take a loss to Tennessee and get 10+ wins any day of the week.

Reactions: FïreBall
I just don't see how you lose to every ranked opponent from the previous year, plus a few more that are on the fence...and suddenly you're a Big 12 title contender.

I don't get it :D

Okay, if you WV folks are gonna come hang out on this message board you gotta get the terminology right. Around here, "realistic" means we expect to lose damn near every game, most of our players are gonna get injured or arrested, NCAA sanctions are imminent, and if we do win more than 4 games our coaches are headed for Bama. And none of that matters because we're gonna die soon anyway.

If you are feeling anything other than the above about your team, please use the proper term "sunshine pumper" to describe yourself.

Okay, if you WV folks are gonna come hang out on this message board you gotta get the terminology right. Around here, "realistic" means we expect to lose damn near every game, most of our players are gonna get injured or arrested, NCAA sanctions are imminent, and if we do win more than 4 games our coaches are headed for Bama. And none of that matters because we're gonna die soon anyway.

If you are feeling anything other than the above about your team, please use the proper term "sunshine pumper" to describe yourself.
I expect the normal 7-8 wins does that count?

To me, that’s always just been a courtesy.
It refers to what happens before and after the game to that person.
It’s not about the game itself.
It’s similar to telling someone to have a safe trip.

Exactly right it's called sportsmanship, some were taught it , others not so much. As much as I want Tennessee to win every game, it's still a 'game'.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
The number of times a Pruitt run defense has given up 30+ points is rare. I counted only about a dozen in all his years as coordinator. And about half of those they still won in a shoot out. Two were definitely due to Dobbs.

As a West Virginian who is a huge Vol fan, I'm seriously hoping I don't get hit in the head with a beer bottle by my own people at the game. WVU fans are known for being pretty... brutal. Go Vols!
I’m sure WV fans will be out numbered 3 to 1.

VN Store

Back