A Hurd of Quitters

Dude quit on his team,pretty cut n dry.I get there was enuff blame to go around,but i been in lots of situations i wasnt happy with but i didnt quit..Just saying

By this logic the united states should just have dealt with british and not quit and took a stand. In fact since you're so gung ho about this not quitting thing why don't you really prove it and go fight for the queen and the UK, you know because you believe the founders had no right to take a stand against a situationt hey weren't happy with and should have just sat down shut up and hailed the crown.

You're more than welcome to visit my MetroWest condo overlooking Turkey Lake in Orlando...my new tenant doesn't move in until May.

My point stands...for all the criticism regarding Hurd's departure from UT, I doubt many Vol fans would complain if they landed an elite transfer from another school who left under similar circumstances.

I guess we will have to wait for that to happen... but for now, I'm just challenging your use of the word 'elite' in regards to Hurd. Nothing about the way he played in 2016 merits that description and the only mistake I saw our staff making with him was giving him as many touches as they did instead of Kamara. Personally, I would not find it encouraging about the state of our offense if we were desperate enough to burn a scholarship for two years on a player with just one year of eligibility remaining who was also wanting a change in position.

I guess we will have to wait for that to happen... but for now, I'm just challenging your use of the word 'elite' in regards to Hurd. Nothing about the way he played in 2016 merits that description and the only mistake I saw our staff making with him was giving him as many touches as they did instead of Kamara. Personally, I would not find it encouraging about the state of our offense if we were desperate enough to burn a scholarship for two years on a player with just one year of eligibility remaining who was also wanting a change in position.

Hurd is an elite talent who will upgrade the roster wherever he decides to transfer. If you disagree with that statement, we can just agree to disagree.

Reactions: 1 person
Hurd is an elite talent who will upgrade the roster wherever he decides to transfer. If you disagree with that statement, we can just agree to disagree.

What I said was not an argument but fact. He will take up a scholarship for two years with just one year of eligibility left while trying to learn a new position... but I will also disagree that there was anything elite about his 3.7 yards per carry last season... or his slow first step... or his field vision... or his ability to fall forward while being tackled - especially for a player his size.

What I said was not an argument but fact. He will take up a scholarship for two years with just one year of eligibility left while trying to learn a new position... but I will also disagree that there was anything elite about his 3.7 yards per carry last season... or his slow first step... or his field vision... or his ability to fall forward while being tackled - especially for a player his size.

As if Hurd is taking a scholarship away from someone more talented...besides there's 85 scholarships available. He's worth the risk for a school looking for a proven RB/TE.

Hurd didn't have elite stats last season, and perhaps his skills weren't the best fit for a one back offense, but he has elite talent. There's no denying that.

I'm tired of this crap he didn't fit the system. He was average at best. At his size he should have been breaking arm tackles and falling forward for a yard instead of being driven back 3. All them videos of him on the treadmill this past summer? Were a joke. He had absolutely no break away speed. He was always being caught from behind. He was great out of the backfield as a receiver but his rushing yards came when even I could have picked up 9 or 10 yards. He was the primary back for 2.5 years that's how he ran up his numbers. Okay he stiff armed a couple of undersized players but what else has he done? if our o-line was crap then how come Kamara and Kelly were able to run well behind it? You either gotta be quick or strong and Hurd was neither.

I'm tired of this crap he didn't fit the system. He was average at best. At his size he should have been breaking arm tackles and falling forward for a yard instead of being driven back 3. All them videos of him on the treadmill this past summer? Were a joke. He had absolutely no break away speed. He was always being caught from behind. He was great out of the backfield as a receiver but his rushing yards came when even I could have picked up 9 or 10 yards. He was the primary back for 2.5 years that's how he ran up his numbers. Okay he stiff armed a couple of undersized players but what else has he done? if our o-line was crap then how come Kamara and Kelly were able to run well behind it? You either gotta be quick or strong and Hurd was neither.

How many 6'4" 240lbs kids have breakaway speed? I can only come up with two...OJ Howard and OJ Howard.

From August '16 to February '17, Hurd went from Heisman darkhorse to 5* bust. :eek:lol:

I readily admit Kamara was more dynamic, but Hurd wasn't exactly chopped liver...but I get it. He's no longer a Vol so now the pitchforks are out.

How many 6'4" 240lbs kids have breakaway speed? I can only come up with two...OJ Howard and OJ Howard.

From August '16 to February '17, Hurd went from Heisman darkhorse to 5* bust. :eek:lol:

I readily admit Kamara was more dynamic, but Hurd wasn't exactly chopped liver...but I get it. He's no longer a Vol so now the pitchforks are out.

Again, it's not about Hurd not being a Vol. It's about the way he handled the situation which was in a very poor manner. You think everyone who just quits suddenly on your coaches and teammates deserves sympathy? I think not.

Reactions: 2 people

Elite RB's don't transfer while contemplating a change of position. If he was transferring to a school that featured a power running style to try be a standout at that position then so be it, that might make sense...that's not what I'm hearing at this point.

added-His best year at UT was 2015. His YPC couldn't make the top 10 in just the SEC. Worse, he was soundly trounced in that category by his own counterpart in the same system/backfield. Not one but two RB's from UK did much better. Hurd may be pretty gifted athletically and can receive and block well but as an actual ball carrier fell far short of expectations and contextually there's only so much can be put on surrounding talent/scheme.

Last edited:
Again, it's not about Hurd not being a Vol. It's about the way he handled the situation which was in a very poor manner. You think everyone who just quits suddenly on your coaches and teammates deserves sympathy? I think not.

I missed where I said what you suggested in bold.

Hurd left under poor circumstances, and he could have handled it better. Criticism warranted.

Despite how Hurd left, and despite what some here consider to be shortcomings on the field, another school will gladly offer him a scholarship.

All of those things can be true.

Last edited:
I wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere he can have success.

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

No matter how you slice it, he quit on his team, his brothers. You can have all the opinions and scenarios considered, and the story still ends the same; he quit. That is not a shame. That is life.

If it had been as bad as he and his screwball "advisors" would have you believe, there would have been many more player defections. You can buy into the rumors all you like, Boro. If it is a used car, you are offering a 72 Pinto that is full of bondo in the only unrusted out areas. I'm not buying. Don't get rear ended in it.

No matter how you slice it, he quit on his team, his brothers. You can have all the opinions and scenarios considered, and the story still ends the same; he quit. That is not a shame. That is life.

If it had been as bad as he and his screwball "advisors" would have you believe, there would have been many more player defections. You can buy into the rumors all you like, Boro. If it is a used car, you are offering a 72 Pinto that is full of bondo in the only unrusted out areas. I'm not buying. Don't get rear ended in it.

Oh you mean like the players that were leaving before and during the season. Like Vic Wharton that instead of enjoying his own recruitment hit social media and camps and help recruit and then left, or the te that left cause of the coaches, or the 5* wr that left just before Hurd.

Oh you mean like the players that were leaving before and during the season. Like Vic Wharton that instead of enjoying his own recruitment hit social media and camps and help recruit and then left, or the te that left cause of the coaches, or the 5* wr that left just before Hurd.

When rumors started floating early that Vic was getting his shorts in a wad cause he wasn't getting the number he was 'promised', anyone with eyes knew where that was headed. Malone got his number BTW. The TE that allegedly left cause he didn't like the cussing but ended up a Duke with a head coach that cusses. The probable 'real reason' was he was homeschooled and was having a hard time adjusting to the large campus college life. And PWilly? The one that self-proclaimed he didn't think he was good enough? He had/has to get stronger mentally apparently. Maybe there were actually reasons beyond 'Butch is a bad guy'? Possibly?

EDIT: maybe Butch is a meanie; not saying he isn't. I will also say that some of my best coaches weren't always the most liked when the pads went on. But when you did what they said to do and gave it your all, they would certainly let you know it and one would be rewarded for it.

Last edited:

You mean Preston Williams who is taking his talents to Colorado St after being beaten out by Jennings?

When rumors started floating early that Vic was getting his shorts in a wad cause he wasn't getting the number he was 'promised', anyone with eyes knew where that was headed. Malone got his number BTW.

Wharton isn't even wearing number 3 at Cal. I heard he wanted 7 at Independence but gave it to Rashaan when he was recruiting him to Independence and then just took 3. Really don't think he cares about a number....try again.

I wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere he can have success.

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

you gotta know and i suspect you do,..75% was on him/...., its not like its 50/50. handled poorly yes.

and yes i really believe Hurd is gonna be special at his next stop. i really do

Last edited:
You're more than welcome to visit my MetroWest condo overlooking Turkey Lake in Orlando...my new tenant doesn't move in until May.

My point stands...for all the criticism regarding Hurd's departure from UT, I doubt many Vol fans would complain if they landed an elite transfer from another school who left under similar circumstances.

Hurd isn't elite. But yes if UT were to land an elite transfer, I would rejoice it.

VN Store

Back