A Hurd of Quitters

If I was a coach id tell him to kick rocks. What will he new teammates think of someone who quit on his mid season? Probably wont go over well.

I would too, but for every coach who would tell him to kick rocks there is another that would take him.

Glad he is no longer a Vol though.

You always like to find something to bash buTch and our footVol program about and I find it sad and pathetic.

We do NOT know for a fact anything that was going on behind the scenes with Hurd.

Where did I bash Butch or the program? I simply said there was enough blame to go around, including with Hurd. Hurd is a student athlete, the coaches are paid professionals. I'm always amazed by those who turn on kids exclusively without looking at the responsible adults in charge, and whether they have any culpability.

Yes, some DO know for a fact some of what went on behind the scenes.

If what you believe what many posted here, Butch was the primary reason Hurd decided to leave.

I don't give a rats ass what the reason was. If I'm a player and don't like the way I'm being utilized or if I'm not seeing eye to eye with the coaching staff, that's fine. But you can't just sit there and tell me that it's ok for any player from any school to give up on your teammates in the middle of the season just because something doesn't suit you? Why not just wait till off season to transfer? If you're still part of this UT team, you give it your all. That's part of Tennessee's tradition, black & white, clear as crystal. Clearly Hurd didn't care or else he'd still be busting his ass off for his teammates and the coaching staff right now.

Reactions: 3 people
Then we would be rightfully more forgiving and accepting of a Baylor transfer than another program taking in Hurd.

If the big Bama tailback Scarbrough quit mid-season due to issues with the coaching staff, and stated he was interested in transferring to UT, would you have a problem with him coming to Knoxville?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere he can have success.

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

Did he get dismissed from the team? If so, I must have missed that somewhere. Or, did Jones challenge him to a slapping match and Hurd lost? Must have missed that one too, otherwise he is the one who chose to quit no one else made that decision for him therefore he will be the one that shoulders the blame. Everyone is keenly aware of your opinion of Jones, you express it 1000x a day endlessly.

He quit on the team and showed his true colors. I have no care for whatever happens to him in football.

People quit their jobs every day. Why is Petrino any different? You don't like it, you go somewhere else.

Hope Hurd does well wherever he lands. Dude was running for his life / getting his butt kicked every second he was at UT. Mis-utilized is an understatement.

Please inform everyone how you utilize a bad attitude or a running back who can't break tackles/outrun most defenders? We should change the offense to an i-formation that way Dobbs is severely limited but Hurd can be happy. With teammates like Hurd, who needs enemies.

People quit their jobs every day. Why is Petrino any different? You don't like it, you go somewhere else.

Hope Hurd does well wherever he lands. Dude was running for his life / getting his butt kicked every second he was at UT. Mis-utilized is an understatement.
Dude couldn't hit a hole, just ask AK, or JK. They seemed to find the seams.Anyone one can run threw a truck hole.

Reactions: 4 people
i wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere he can have success.

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

fahr butch!!!!!

Did he get dismissed from the team? If so, I must have missed that somewhere. Or, did Jones challenge him to a slapping match and Hurd lost? Must have missed that one too, otherwise he is the one who chose to quit no one else made that decision for him therefore he will be the one that shoulders the blame. Everyone is keenly aware of your opinion of Jones, you express it 1000x a day endlessly.

Yet I didn't mention Jones did I? My feelings about him have no bearing on this issue.

Hurd carries plenty of blame, but others carry some responsibility too. But continue to put it all the college kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Well at least if he goes to Louisville he'll have good mentors. The men's head coaches there are a real class act.

Sure you do, but there are professional ways to do it. If you don't like your job or want a new one, you give a notice that you're leaving, and you tell your boss face to face. The 2 weeks is a professional courtesy to give them time to transition.

Petrino quit with 3 games left and did so by taping a note to his players' lockers. He didn't have the balls to meet with them to tell them face to face. Hurd could have sucked it up and gave his best to the team and then transferred after the season. If had done that, sure some here would still give him crap, but overall his reputation would be much better.

Reactions: 2 people
Sitting a year will be good for him, both physically and mentally.

If he's serious about switching positions it would absolutely help him to have a development year without losing eligibility.

I don't think he can actually "practice" during that year but you can still work on being much more prepared to play TE (assuming that's the goal) going into your playing year.

Would be a great fit. I think Petrino sticks around UL a while. Hurd would get plenty of time to get familiar with the offense and Petrino would probably find new ways to utilize him.

It's exactly the same thing...fans are fans and they want the best for their team regardless.

I'm sure if Stidham had left Baylor mid-season, all those VN threads hoping he chose UT would still exist...with little regard for the feelings of Baylor fans.

If you think that's the same thing, I got a little tarpaper fishing shack on Douglas Lake I'll sell ya. When the water's down, you can invite your friends to your- 'Jekyll Island beach front condo'.

Had every right to leave, but hard to see how he's improved his situation any. Stay and bust a hump for 8 more weeks and you've declared for the draft and are about to make $millions.

Says a lot about his mentality. Not real smart.

If you think that's the same thing, I got a little tarpaper fishing shack on Douglas Lake I'll sell ya. When the water's down, you can invite your friends to your- 'Jekyll Island beach front condo'.

You're more than welcome to visit my MetroWest condo overlooking Turkey Lake in Orlando...my new tenant doesn't move in until May.

My point stands...for all the criticism regarding Hurd's departure from UT, I doubt many Vol fans would complain if they landed an elite transfer from another school who left under similar circumstances.

VN Store

Back