A few things some of us are missing

I agree with both statements.

Point is, we played well enough to win, but a few glaring mistakes by both players and coaches cost us.

Correctable mistakes.

The real issue is, and it's what most of us have the problem with, is that I am not sure the staff knows which mistakes should be corrected.

I know one. Don't put #13 on an island (corner opposite Sutton),alone. He fell down on OU's final score/drive. He got burnt repeatedly at UF, twice on 4th down,one which resulted in a 63 yd. TD. The other 4th down conversion, after UF decided not to kick a FG, the pass at him took UF down to the 4 or 5 yd. line and they scored a play or two later. I'm wondering if our defense isn't more concerned about our weakness over the middle where we have either Jumper or Kirkland playing and can't rotate a little when #13 is in the game. #12 got picked on against BG in game one but improved and did well against OU in game two. #12 is the current starter. It's obvious that our opponents are going to go right at #13 the second he enters the game.I promised myself to post this 7 times before weeks end. It is fixable and it should not happen again. Decent coaches are going to see this and our own coach, above all, should correct it or use it as bait. I'm certain other teams are going to go right at him. #13 is a junior, Callaway, the receiver, has been named freshman of the week. I just saw that #12 was behind #13 on this 63 yd. TD pass. We only rushed 3. Most post game analyzers say this is the biggest mistake but this is also a zone defense, (preventive), specifically designed to stop big plays. One blocker against 3 defenders, #37 was in on it too. #13 momentarily slowed immediately after the catch like he knew help was close but that lapse was costly. I was listening to Tim Priest on the Vol Network and he stated that UT had shifted into a zone type preventive defense and he thought UT was was doing this way to early and it would lead to points. We obviously have a good team because we get up on these teams and best of all we are young. Due to this I think UT will get better and better coaching decisions are coming.

Reactions: 1 person
We are running a zone read with no read..no tempo and no pass. Missed tackles killed Fla or this would have been ugly.

**** we'd've got 2-3 more plays off had the refs not ate up our clock!!!! Go back and watch that last drive and really pay attention to the clock...

Florida is notorious for that. SEC brass should look into this because it happens way too often, mostly when the home team is in a close game with opponent driving. Worth mentioning is the 12 players on the field for UF when we kicked FG. How do they miss that ?

For 3 quarters, yes. Then Jones decided the players were not to be trusted and began to coach not to lose.

That drive went 70 yards. There were 13 very predictable rushes and 3 passes that took UF off guard. Passing was 2/3 for 39 yards. So basically, you just demonstrated that a pass on that 2nd to last drive probably would have ended UF's hopes.

The UF teams Jones has faced have been their worst in 30 years. The UF teams between 2002 and Jones had a combined record of 98-33. They also won 2 BCS championships during that period. The current UF team isn't a championship caliber team. UT has a better roster and still lost because of decisions Jones made... and no spin will make that go away.

The players and even the asst coaches deserved to win that game. They had it won through 3 qtrs.

So you are saying UT actually should have lost by more to an inferior opponent led by a first year coach?

Muschamp didn't leave FL in bad shape when he was fired, the first year coach was first year at FL, but is very familiar with the SEC... He won NC at Bama so it's not like he was a OC at Colorado St. Talent is only as good as its coached or not coached... DC came from Miss St. So he's not new to SEC either... Maybe they just have a better staff than butch, cause they sure out coached him!!!!! What's the point of having 6'3 and up WR on the field and not using them??? First year doesn't mean squat if you can coach... Just look at Michigan!!!! Kicking ass cause they got a good coach.. Maybe we got a ok coach that can recruit, but he needs to get a great staff that can coach!!!

1. The offensive play calling, FOR THE MOST PART, was actually rather creative, and the players executed it well.

2. We put together a 16 play drive in the second half. The offense DID NOT go into a shell. Not until the next to last drive.

3. We hadn't come that close to beating Florida in Gainesville since we actually did it in 2003.

4. Dobbs and Hurd played their butts off, as did the oline, for the most part.

5. We got several calls to go our way early, including the 2 fumbles that were not even reviewed.

You are absolutely correct. I saw more creative play offensive calling, UNTIL it dawned on someone that they were coming back against the quarters prevent and cover 2 zone prevent. THEN they called 2 dives and a QB keep.

16 play drive was an impressive feat. I give a lot of credit for that.

Not even going to commit on # 3. That's like saying I'm glad I only cut half my penis off when I made love to the pickle machine.

Dobbs, Hurd, and JRM did play their butts off. We wouldn't have been in it without them and some good plays from others (Juann, Preston, Tuttle, etc) Proud of them for putting it out there and trying to win the game.

Yes, while the game was poorly officiated, it was poorly officiated across the board, not for or against either side.

Not sure if you saw the same game I did... But FL is far from inferior. I believe there D is in the top 2 of the SEC. Playmakers on both sides of ball. Alot of NFL talent on that team. Plenty of depth, and a QB with ice in his veins... Not sure how we are the better team. We may be better in a few areas, but as a whole FL is a hell of a team. 4-0 speaks for itsself no matter who they've played.

Before I say that I will have to see what they do Saturday vs Ole Miss!

Not sure if you saw the same game I did... But FL is far from inferior. I believe there D is in the top 2 of the SEC. Playmakers on both sides of ball.
UT has more overall talent and frankly no one who knows both rosters claims any different.

Alot of NFL talent on that team.
So does UT.
Plenty of depth,
No. They don't have depth and especially on O.
and a QB with ice in his veins...
Who is a RS Fr just playing in his 4th game. According to what we've been told 3 years now... you cannot win in the SEC without depth at every position or with an OL made up of young players, a QB with no experience, or in the 1st year of a new system.

Almost every reason we've been given by Jones or his defenders here for why we should expect more... was refuted by UF and McElwain.

Not sure how we are the better team. We may be better in a few areas, but as a whole FL is a hell of a team. 4-0 speaks for itsself no matter who they've played.

They are young. They are thin in critical areas. They have a brand new coach who inherited a mess and changed their O system for the 3rd or 4th time in the last 4 years.

No one doubted anything about their D other than depth in a few spots.

UT has the better roster. The loss is on Jones.

No faith left in this coaching staff. No amount of spin will take the stench of ineptitude off this bunch.

They aren't getting better. That was not a good Florida team that we bumbled our way to a loss against. They're only going to get better next year. Butch Jones will never beat them if he couldn't do it during the last two seasons.

Last edited:
Tennessee needs to find some balance. Not necessarily a 50/50 split but it needs to find some sort of balance or UT isn't going to be able to move the ball well over 4 qtrs. What isn't being addressed from Jones or Debord is the lack of the vertical game. Last year Dobbs threw at 80% against the blitz...Yes, when teams blitzed, Dobbs was able to make them pay. This year it seems like Debord just found out what this blitz concept was. UT is a better team this year than last. UT has a stable of STUD WRs and a capable QB to get them the ball. UT has more than enough of skill position players to have ANY defense at a mismatch..WTF happened??? Why can't this offensive staff figure this out?? What is different this year than last year?? This years team should be SMOKING teams. Unless Jones starts earning his millions and adjusting or just flat out fixing things, UT will be wasting incredible talent. Tennessee has the talent to play with any team in the country, I truly believe that.

We are running a zone read with no read..no tempo and no pass. Missed tackles killed Fla or this would have been ugly.

Also with the slowest developing plays in college football. I am glad someone else sees it that way also. If it wasn't for the individual play of dobbs and Hurd this game wouldn't have been close and our rushing yards would've been half as much. Our coaches put together one drive with playcalling on offense and 2 trick plays. Those trick plays won't work the next 3 weeks.

One thing no one is talking about is that Dobbs fumbled a lot in the game. The two on the side line were inexplicable. It looked like (although I know he didn't do this) he almost intentionally dropped the ball into the field of play as he was being forced out of bounds. Has anyone seen replays of these to figure out why he dropped those two on to the ground? Also, was he the one who fumbled near the goal line (not the sideline one but one in the center of the field) where we hurriedly snapped the ball to avoid a review? Or was that someone else - I don't remember?

Butch does deserve all the heat he is getting because he's the head man in charge but as far as the passing game goes I believe the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of our so called "passing game coordinator" and WR coach Azzani

**** we'd've got 2-3 more plays off had the refs not ate up our clock!!!! Go back and watch that last drive and really pay attention to the clock...

I have.....and on just ONE PLAY--ONE PLAY....we sat at the line of scrimmage while Dobbs was getting the play called and everyone aligned as over 10-15 seconds ran off of the clock....that's a lack of PREPARATION AND COACHING....:salute:

Butch does deserve all the heat he is getting because he's the head man in charge but as far as the passing game goes I believe the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of our so called "passing game coordinator" and WR coach Azzani
i do wonder about all the development of the QB, in particular, and the WR's. it's clearly not what we were led to believe.

that said, the O line has not improved as much as we hoped either. they're going to have to get creative in the passing game
I have.....and on just ONE PLAY--ONE PLAY....we sat at the line of scrimmage while Dobbs was getting the play called and everyone aligned as over 10-15 seconds ran off of the clock....that's a lack of PREPARATION AND COACHING....:salute:

we did get screwed by the clock manager on the first 1st down....lost 10 seconds after they marked the ball...they set the ball at 1:16 i believe, and the clock didn't stop until 1:06. and on the 2nd first down, the ref stood over the ball as the clock started for a few seconds as well.

all totaled, i think we lost about 14 seconds. that's not CBJ's fault.

it was, however, utter confusion on the refs and our sideline for not recognizing what was going on...not sure what they could do about it? could they challenge the clock stoppage?

but the refs and clock manager did not help matters at all. in that respect, we did get screwed.

Florida is notorious for that. SEC brass should look into this because it happens way too often, mostly when the home team is in a close game with opponent driving. Worth mentioning is the 12 players on the field for UF when we kicked FG. How do they miss that ?

last time I checked an official on the field/sideline controls the clock.

The difference is simple, Butch thinks he put his players in a position to win the game (52 yard field goal with 10% chance of success). The reality is he put them in a position to lose a game they had already won. He better find a different way to lose.

last time I checked an official on the field/sideline controls the clock.

it still doesn't change the fact that an additional 10 seconds did run off after the first 1st down.

nor did it matter when the official stood over the ball, after the 2nd 1st down, for another couple of seconds after the clock started back up.

not an excuse. we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. but it did happen.

I am missing a Tennessee team that brought fear to opponents. A team that pushed other teams around. A team that didn't just fold in big games.

I miss having a head coach that understood what it took to win big games.

These are a few things I miss

VN Store

Back