A few things some of us are missing

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
1. The offensive play calling, FOR THE MOST PART, was actually rather creative, and the players executed it well.

2. We put together a 16 play drive in the second half. The offense DID NOT go into a shell. Not until the next to last drive.

3. We hadn't come that close to beating Florida in Gainesville since we actually did it in 2003.

4. Dobbs and Hurd played their butts off, as did the oline, for the most part.

5. We got several calls to go our way early, including the 2 fumbles that were not even reviewed.

Reactions: 11 people
1. The offensive play calling, FOR THE MOST PART, was actually rather creative, and the players executed it well.

2. We put together a 16 play drive in the second half. The offense DID NOT go into a shell. Not until the next to last drive.

3. We hadn't come that close to beating Florida in Gainesville since we actually did it in 2003.

5. We got several calls to go our way early, including the 2 fumbles that were not even reviewed.

:clapping:

What this says is what we already knew. We won this game. The problem was never the players, talent, or the officials. The problem was and has been the decisions made on the side line.

Reactions: 11 people

Those are valid points, however, it is like saying the dog that crapped in your yard had on a pretty collar.

I am a fan of Butch as a program builder but I am losing confidence in him as a coach that can win by coaching.

Pointing that out does not overlook his other accomplishments. The bigger picture is that there is an end goal here that seems to be compromised based on what we have seen in two winnable games.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree with both statements.

Point is, we played well enough to win, but a few glaring mistakes by both players and coaches cost us.

Correctable mistakes.

The real issue is, and it's what most of us have the problem with, is that I am not sure the staff knows which mistakes should be corrected.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll tell you one thing I miss.... winning.

Me too. I am so sick of hearing about this streak and the others.

If we keep playing like we have been, though, it will happen.

I just hope it happens before the players give in to the pressure, and stop buying in.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with both statements.

Point is, we played well enough to win, but a few glaring mistakes by both players and coaches cost us.

Correctable mistakes.

The real issue is, and it's what most of us have the problem with, is that I am not sure the staff knows which mistakes should be corrected.

Very true. Im not sure they understand what some of them are which makes it impossible to fix.

Reactions: 1 person
Me too. I am so sick of hearing about this streak and the others.

If we keep playing like we have been, though, it will happen.

I just hope it happens before the players give in to the pressure, and stop buying in.

Players at this level are not dumb. If they see mistakes not being addressed (for whatever reason) that will cause things to go the wrong way at a quicker pace.

For 3 quarters, yes. Then Jones decided the players were not to be trusted and began to coach not to lose.

That drive went 70 yards. There were 13 very predictable rushes and 3 passes that took UF off guard. Passing was 2/3 for 39 yards. So basically, you just demonstrated that a pass on that 2nd to last drive probably would have ended UF's hopes.

The UF teams Jones has faced have been their worst in 30 years. The UF teams between 2002 and Jones had a combined record of 98-33. They also won 2 BCS championships during that period. The current UF team isn't a championship caliber team. UT has a better roster and still lost because of decisions Jones made... and no spin will make that go away.

The players and even the asst coaches deserved to win that game. They had it won through 3 qtrs.

So you are saying UT actually should have lost by more to an inferior opponent led by a first year coach?

Reactions: 2 people
:clapping:

What this says is what we already knew. We won this game. The problem was never the players, talent, or the officials. The problem was and has been the decisions made on the side line.

That's not entirely true, the Vols did some good things, but there is enough blame to go around. The Offensive line gave up three sacks, one of which led to a fumble that was recovered by UF and allowed them to score a TD. Both players in the secondary took bad angles allowing the UF wide receiver to score on 4th and 13.

They win as a team and lose as a team coaches and players are in it together.

Pro tip - stop going into "prevent win" on 4 and long.

In fact let's start stopping 4th down conversions..

Reactions: 3 people

Being the eternal optimist, I'm trying to talk myself into agreeing with you and, maybe I do a little. One GLARING issue (to me anyway) is that we have three five star receivers on our roster as well as a few other very good ones, and we almost completely ignored the passing game. A couple of big pass plays would have made the game a blow out IMO. We already had UF thinking run, run, run, and I think we threw down field, what, 2 maybe 3 times? Dobbs did make an overthrow to Josh Smith (I think) that maybe would have been a TD, but crap man, what is the deal with not using the immense talent we have on this team at WR? Do the coaches just NOT trust Dobbs to that degree? I mean even Peyton had a few bad throws back when, and even now.

As for #2, I agree Butch went against his nature and dropped the conservative 2nd half garbage, but when it really came down to crunch time (they scored to only go down by 6) he freaked out and clammed up. He turned back into same old Butch at that point.

Pretty much just reiterating what you said.

Our Offense was definitely interesting. You have people that still vehemently defend Butch, but at the same time are saying fire Debord. People are saying this after the 4th game of the year, and a game where the trick plays should've been the defining moments that won it for us. The throw back to Dobbs got us our first TD, and was the longest pass of the game for us. The jump throw from Kamara was on 4th down and short, and led to a score that put us up 14-7. These were some gutsy calls that worked, led directly to our first 14 points, and were both passing plays that were huge for a team that otherwise couldn't pass the ball at all.

I'm really interested if our inability in the passing game stems from Dobbs inaccuracy or inability, a failure in the scheme itself, lack of trust in the OL, a lack of trust in Dobbs, or some combination of these things. It is hard to tell because we really just don't even ATTEMPT to throw the ball down the field. It's hard to fault Dobbs either way at this point because, despite his faults, he still played well enough to win in Gainesville.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Number 4- our OL for owned by their front in passing opportunities

For 3 quarters, yes. Then Jones decided the players were not to be trusted and began to coach not to lose.

That drive went 70 yards. There were 13 very predictable rushes and 3 passes that took UF off guard. Passing was 2/3 for 39 yards. So basically, you just demonstrated that a pass on that 2nd to last drive probably would have ended UF's hopes.

The UF teams Jones has faced have been their worst in 30 years. The UF teams between 2002 and Jones had a combined record of 98-33. They also won 2 BCS championships during that period. The current UF team isn't a championship caliber team. UT has a better roster and still lost because of decisions Jones made... and no spin will make that go away.

The players and even the asst coaches deserved to win that game. They had it won through 3 qtrs.

So you are saying UT actually should have lost by more to an inferior opponent led by a first year coach?

Not sure if you saw the same game I did... But FL is far from inferior. I believe there D is in the top 2 of the SEC. Playmakers on both sides of ball. Alot of NFL talent on that team. Plenty of depth, and a QB with ice in his veins... Not sure how we are the better team. We may be better in a few areas, but as a whole FL is a hell of a team. 4-0 speaks for itsself no matter who they've played.

All true....

BUT--and that's the biggie here:

With the game on the line in TWO games that we have lost:

Butch and Co. still played woefully conservative. Both Fla and OK's defenses were over-pursuing and selling out to get to the ball....PERFECT setting to run some misdirection and a BOOTLEG with the QB matched one on one on the perimeter with run-pass option....but DO WE EVEN HAVE A BOOTLEG in our playbook?

I for one was overjoyed about our running game--but the run game SETS UP play-action passes WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL to keep both LBs and Safeties honest!!!

It's football 101.......and with the game on the line--it mattered the MOST!

And I'm not even mentioning how pathetic we were in clock management on our last drive.....we could've gotten off at least 2-3 more plays....

Not griping at you---just incredulous at the public comments these guys make that demonstrate ineptness.

Say what you want about Spurrier--but he owns up to his bonehead calls like a man....:salute:

Reactions: 2 people
All true....

BUT--and that's the biggie here:

With the game on the line in TWO games that we have lost:

Butch and Co. still played woefully conservative. Both Fla and OK's defenses were over-pursuing and selling out to get to the ball....PERFECT setting to run some misdirection and a BOOTLEG with the QB matched one on one on the perimeter with run-pass option....but DO WE EVEN HAVE A BOOTLEG in our playbook?

I for one was overjoyed about our running game--but the run game SETS UP play-action passes WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL to keep both LBs and Safeties honest!!!

It's football 101.......and with the game on the line--it mattered the MOST!

And I'm not even mentioning how pathetic we were in clock management on our last drive.....we could've gotten off at least 2-3 more plays....

Not griping at you---just incredulous at the public comments these guys make that demonstrate ineptness.

Say what you want about Spurrier--but he owns up to his bonehead calls like a man....:salute:

**** we'd've got 2-3 more plays off had the refs not ate up our clock!!!! Go back and watch that last drive and really pay attention to the clock...

Did anyone notice something the Oklahoma and Florida games has in common other than bad coaching decisions??

Kamara got very few touches. 4 carries against Oklahoma and 5 carries against Florida. You have a guy with this kinda talent and he doesn't get used during big games. I guarantee you he regrets coming to TN

Did anyone notice something the Oklahoma and Florida games has in common other than bad coaching decisions??

Kamara got very few touches. 4 carries against Oklahoma and 5 carries against Florida. You have a guy with this kinda talent and he doesn't get used during big games. I guarantee you he regrets coming to TN

Well... Hurd was running like a mad man. When somethings working you gotta stick with it. When Kamara had his # called he under performed. That HB Pass was pretty tho.

Well... Hurd was running like a mad man. When somethings working you gotta stick with it. When Kamara had his # called he under performed. That HB Pass was pretty tho.

I understand feeding the player who is doing good but I also think you have to mix it up. Kamara has big time ability and I just find it ironic in our 2 losses he's not being used.

all of these things are why it makes it that much harder to want to keep believing. we did everything we were supposed to do to win this game...right up until we lost it.

we did everything i thought we needed to...we threw the kitchen sink at 'em offensively....we got big plays....we ran the ball.....we got a turnover....we got a couple of breaks to go our way finally.

all the things i wasn't sure we could do, we did.

and then we found a new way to lose. we literally can't win for losing.:no:

Look, I don't disagree with most of the negative points that have been made over the last few weeks, either.

All I was doing was pointing out things that were not only different this year than in recent years past, but also things that were different Saturday versus 2 weeks ago.

VN Store

Back