48-13 And I'm Not That Mad???

Oh yea I know FL will show up ready, make no mistake about that. I just don't think that they will beat us by 35. If we can stop Demps then we will have a better shot. They relied on him way too much saturday.

Thought the first half was awesome, thank god that is all i remember. A few to many Yeager bombs made sure i didn't remember the 2nd half. Sounds like our depth is our main problem. I only had to endure the highlights on the Dooley show this morning

I think that is a realistic goal for Vol fans this season. Increase intake during the first half to a level sufficient enough to forget the second.

That should yield more enjoyable memories of the 2010 season.

I believe we will be ready for the Gators come Saturday, hopefully we play a full 4 quarters this week. I see us winning 7 at the most 8 games this year. We will upset one team and my choice would be Bama that is my Birthday so i will be selfish with my hopes. Florida game will come down to 4th qtr and hopefully we ain't so gassed.

I'll be mad for the both of us.

I feel ya.

The way we played in the first half got my hopes up. I really don't think I would have been as mad if we would have been blown out from the opening kickoff.

I went in expecting a loss.

Though it sucked they had to get our hopes up like that.

What we know is:

Simms is garbage, at least, right now.

Poole is epic.

There's no where near enough depth on this team to compete with anyone remotely good.

I almost feel guilty that I'm not more upset about losing by 35, and in a weird way I came away somewhat encouraged. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's my lack of expectations for this years team, I don't know. I just didn't think we were that bad last night. Tired, yes...Bad, no.

I am one of the most competitive people I can think of, I hate to lose and I'm not one for moral victories, but I felt I saw enough good things from us to have a good feeling about the future. IMO there were 5 plays that went against us last night that changed the course of the game. I think these plays that went against us could have just as easily turned into a positive for us. Unfortunately, for an inexperienced team like ours any of these kind of plays can cause an avalanche that is impossible to recover from and that's exactly what happened.

1. The leading w/ the helmet penalty on Gordon. After watching the replay several times it look to me like he led w/ the shoulder. That turned 3rd and 10 into a 1st down and then touchdown drive. Huge momentum killer going into the half. 13-13 instead of 13-6 or 9 to me is a big deal.

2. Simms Pick 6. He got pressured made a bad throw and an even worse read. He threw to the outside receiver, but had Da'Rick wide open on a curl for a first down on the same side of the field. This can be fixed.

3. James long TD run. We had the guy trapped for a big loss and let him get away. No way that should've happened, kind of a fluke play. Majority of the time we make that tackle for a loss. I'm not taking anything from the guy, it was a helluva run, but not something you see often.

4. Waggner's missing the pick on the TD. To me it looked like he had good coverage and it went through his hands. I could be wrong on this one, but it looked like he could've made the pick.

5. Punt return for TD. I think of all the things that went wrong, this made me the most upset. The guy didn't even make a move to juke someone. It was a straight line run. I have confidence in our coaching staff's special teams track record and emphasis to feel that this coverage issue can be fixed also.

My point in listing these 5 plays is that these were all kind of fluke plays. These are things that can be fixed. I'm not stupid, I realize that these things happen during football games, but these are all things that could have easily gone the other way and would have made for a very different 2nd half. I am in no way suggesting we would have won, but the entire game would've been different. We had to play mistake free against Oregon to win and that didn't happen. Oregon is an outstanding team and I tip my cap to the Ducks for playing a great game and being better than us. The reality of it all, is that we played winning football for 30 minutes last night against a great team. I hope we can double that amount against the Gators this week. Honestly, it would not surprise me at all to see us give a winning effort and result this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to making the 5 hour trip this weekend from Durham.

GO Big Orange and let's hope the VOLS are ready to come out and fight again this coming week.

Please feel free to rip me now because of my optimism.

Some people are just into getting spanked.

If you were take away every negative play, New Mexico had a lot of positives from their game against Oregon too.

If you're the most competitive person that you can think of then you need to find a new circle of friends.

I almost feel guilty that I'm not more upset about losing by 35, and in a weird way I came away somewhat encouraged. Does anyone else feel this way?

I think there are a lot of positives for the Vols.

The talent is there to build from. Given some time to analyze what he has, Wilcox is going to improve the D. And UT very well could beat Florida next week if they have a similar start and can hold on to the lead.

The talent is there to build from. Given some time to analyze what he has, Wilcox is going to improve the D. And UT very well could beat Florida next week if they have a similar start and can hold on to the lead.

Yes. Holding on to a lead usually does result in a win. Thanks for the tip.

Our team is way to young and inexperienced for me to be mad. Disappointed but not mad!

Last edited:

It's seeping into my mind that this team has an instilled culture of losing and quitting. I didn't think that until I heard one of our Senior Captains (Reveiz) referencing it when Oregon went up by 2 scores. They just quit because that's what they did under Fulmer for those key points I previously mentioned.

The 2007 Florida game and the 2010 Oregon games are very similar in a lot of aspects (Florida drive was 8 points down and the Oregon drive we were 7 points down... both in the 3rd Quarter) when the Defensive TD occurred. I saw the same exact panic and quit against Oregon.

A young team needs quality Senior team leadership. With these Seniors being the ones who were underclassmen through the 2007 debacles against UF and Bama as well as the 2008 season... can Dooley count on them to provide leadership qualities through the next 10 games?

Last edited:
I think we have bright future ahead of us, but,,,,,,,,,,im so sick and tired of hearing coaches preach about special teams and not getting anything done. Somehow, IMO our special teams need major improvement.

It's called apathy. If after we lose to Florida next week and you're still not mad then it's official. Love the encouragement by the duck fans that we might beat florida, yeah right, they have more speed than the ducks.

It's called apathy. If after we lose to Florida next week and you're still not mad then it's official. Love the encouragement by the duck fans that we might beat florida, yeah right, they have more speed than the ducks.

It's as if they beat a real UT team that had such capability. How ridiculous can it get.:hi:

Precisely. I'm glad we don't play James Madison this year.
Me either, but we do play a couple of teams i once thought were sure fire wins. I'm not sure about that anymore. We're in for a long year and the sunshine pumpers in here will be singing the blues by years end.

Me either, but we do play a couple of teams i once thought were sure fire wins. I'm not sure about that anymore. We're in for a long year and the sunshine pumpers in here will be singing the blues by years end.

I suspect most of them will fold up their tents and go home by the end of October after having spent all this time bragging about how they proved they were 'real fans' during the offseason.

I suspect most of them will fold up their tents and go home by the end of October after having spent all this time bragging about how they proved they were 'real fans' during the offseason.
It's sad, we all look forward to this time of year. It's a bummer, eventually things will get better.

It's sad, we all look forward to this time of year. It's a bummer, eventually things will get better.

I believe that, but I think it starts with a new AD.

I haven't given up on Dooley, but I want the right guy in place if he doesn't pull off the miracle.

Youth was not served; no senior leadership to motivate, no depth to overcome injuries. You can have hope for the future, or you can be upset about the present. It will be a test for this coaching staff to get this team prepared for next week’s SEC match up. I know "How could you not get fired up for Florida? Well, we have 18ish freshmen on the 2 deep to start” How they respond to start the game and if and when the breaks don't go their way can give some early indicators for this coaching staff.

I believe we are headed in the right direction, and these kids will respond.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back