2nd-year surge: Carlin Fils-aime

I'm still not understanding how people have already written this kid off. We have nothing to base his possible abilities on other than a handful of carries. Is it based on the SC play last? Is it based on him being a little undersized? Most folks have already crowned Chandler and Jordan and Coleman over him. The kid came from a good program in Florida.

It is what happens here every year.

CFA has talent. But there's no romance or thrill in that. There's always a "mystique" about the "new kid in town". The reality is there is a big jump from HSFB to CFB. Some guys are ready to make it right away. Some need a year or two. It is a mistake to write off the latter and especially in favor of guys about to face that transition.

Reactions: 1 person
Barry Sanders wasn't the biggest or fastest...

Walter Peyton...

Travis Stephens...

Emmit Smith...

The list goes on and on.

Not comparing CFA to these guys, just saying biggest and fastest aint all it takes.

You forgot Hurd.... Oh, you said faster. lol

I'm still not understanding how people have already written this kid off. We have nothing to base his possible abilities on other than a handful of carries. Is it based on the SC play last? Is it based on him being a little undersized? Most folks have already crowned Chandler and Jordan and Coleman over him. The kid came from a good program in Florida.

From what I read he had a very disappointing spring. Based on comments from some guys well connected to the coaches it seems pretty apparent he's not going to be much of a factor.

My point is that CFA is probably the least talented scholarship RB on UT's roster. Your reference to Walter Peyton, and Emmit Smith is completely comical. I will be surprised if CFA is on UT's roster this time next year.

I'm not a CFA apologist, but this is about as silly as the comment you were debating. Both make no sense.

July is the last month without football.

High School football gets underway with various jamborees across the state in the 2nd week August, for most schools the regular season begins the 18th. That's always a nice prelude to the CFB season. Football on Friday and Saturday !

My point is that CFA is probably the least talented scholarship RB on UT's roster. Your reference to Walter Peyton, and Emmit Smith is completely comical. I will be surprised if CFA is on UT's roster this time next year.

4 star, Top 12 RB of his class !! He wasn't as high up as Chandler but remember Kelly was 3-star too.
Fils-Aime had a lot of injury issues last year .. he is more of a speedy back who can catch the ball too .. watch his film !!

From what I read he had a very disappointing spring. Based on comments from some guys well connected to the coaches it seems pretty apparent he's not going to be much of a factor.

Where did you read that ? Link ?

Based on what I read, (the article in this thread), coaches are apparently very high on Carlin Fils Aime !!

Your turn to cite your article !!

Reactions: 2 people
Where did you read that ? Link ?

Based on what I read, (the article in this thread), coaches are apparently very high on Carlin Fils Aime !!

Your turn to cite your article !!

Word is that he lacks "wiggle". Good straight line speed but not overly shifty. I think Rajion Neal would be a recent player with a similar style

High School football gets underway with various jamborees across the state in the 2nd week August, for most schools the regular season begins the 18th. That's always a nice prelude to the CFB season. Football on Friday and Saturday !

I always look forward to the HOF game, that's when I know its almost here. Even though I don't care about the games and don't watch them much, I just feel better knowing they're playing.

Thursday August 3rd. HOF game.

I really hope CFA does well. I made it to the 3rd quarter of Naples-Ft Myers game his senior year, just because.

Word is that he lacks "wiggle". Good straight line speed but not overly shifty. I think Rajion Neal would be a recent player with a similar style

If you need an earlier example, that fits Jay Graham.

I'm not so sure Carlin Fils-aime is a bonafide SEC running back, he will certainly have to improve to become an effective RB for the Vols, no?
Go Vols

CFA has talent without a doubt. He is without question more talented than the kid we just signed out of LA this past class. The issue is he is built like a slot receiver right now. Go back and watch his high school highlights against top Florida competition. It took an off season under Rock to get him to 183 lbs. Which means he played last year around 170 lbs. That's small at any position in college football. Especially at 5'11" tall. He needs another 10 lbs of muscle on his sleight frame to be an effective between the tackles back but he can contribute and help us this year if he can stay healthy. With all that said, i still think Tim Jordan and Ty Chandler may surpass him on the depth chart this year. I look for him to be a major surprise in 2018 with another year of nutrition and strength & conditioning.

4 star, Top 12 RB of his class !! He wasn't as high up as Chandler but remember Kelly was 3-star too.
Fils-Aime had a lot of injury issues last year .. he is more of a speedy back who can catch the ball too .. watch his film !!

Film against high school kids most of whom are no longer playing football? That's a ridiculous way to evaluate a current player who goes up against other college players in practice and scrimmages. Talk to a coach or former player that has seen him in practice at UT and go back and watch the orange and white game and let me know what you think. If UT must rely on him to provide meaningful carries this fall at RB they will be in trouble.

Film against high school kids most of whom are no longer playing football? That's a ridiculous way to evaluate a current player who goes up against other college players in practice and scrimmages. Talk to a coach or former player that has seen him in practice at UT and go back and watch the orange and white game and let me know what you think. If UT must rely on him to provide meaningful carries this fall at RB they will be in trouble.

Didn't he play hurt most of the spring? And what are the opinions that he'll be passed by Chandler and Jordan based on?

PS- Have you talked to coaches and former players? Just curious. Not poking you.

fils-aime had the game costing fumble against south carolina... maybe he can make up for it with a game winning, clock expiring, td run against alabama this season.

Stop. Even trying to lay the blame on CFA for the SC loss is beyond stupid.

Didn't he play hurt most of the spring? And what are the opinions that he'll be passed by Chandler and Jordan based on?

PS- Have you talked to coaches and former players? Just curious. Not poking you.

If CFA was hurt this spring that's the first that I have heard of it, so I'm not sure if he was hurt or not. My information is second hand from outside coaches that have seen him at practice and in scrimmages. They certainly question if he has the ability to be the second RB for UT this fall. He isn't built like an SEC RB.

I watched him closely in the spring game and IMHO he clearly isn't ready, he needs to get bigger, and stronger to be effective. Going into fall camp UT has one proven RB on the roster and 3 freshman RB's who look like better prospects than CFA.

Obviously the orange and white game is very informative as to how someone's career is going to go. Maybe he makes the rotation, maybe he doesn't but to base it on what fans have seen of him so far is crazy. Whoever posted that the info they read was he had a bad spring. Links to that info?

If CFA was hurt this spring that's the first that I have heard of it, so I'm not sure if he was hurt or not. My information is second hand from outside coaches that have seen him at practice and in scrimmages. They certainly question if he has the ability to be the second RB for UT this fall. He isn't built like an SEC RB.

I watched him closely in the spring game and IMHO he clearly isn't ready, he needs to get bigger, and stronger to be effective. Going into fall camp UT has one proven RB on the roster and 3 freshman RB's who look like better prospects than CFA.
Agree. Completely unimpressive in the spring game and he essentially got all the carries.

Thig told me that all 3 backs coming in are players.
Hard to believe Butch recruited RB this poorly.

VN Store

Back