24 team cfb playoff system: let the champion be decided on the football field

I like a proposal I read about several years ago.
1) Reduce Division 1 to 70 teams. 5 Power Conferences with 14 teams each. The remaining teams can have a separate division and play for a separate NC.
2) Division 1 teams all play 9 conference games and 3 OOC games. Only one game a year can be against a non power 5 school. The regular season schedule is instantly better for all teams. Only one cupcake a year.
3) All power 5 conferences have a championship game whose winner gets into 8 team playoff.
4) 3 at large teams

10 FBS Conference Champions
6 at-large teams.
seed 1-16

very simple... and everyone has a chance.

Independents....better be an at-large or join a conf.

I also think Malzahn is underrated in that he gives Saban fits every now and then, and he’s played for a national title. Not too many coaches can say that.

That's the one and only reason he's still there, IMO. Being 2-3 against Saban has saved his bacon, because there are a ton of losses during that 2014-16 period that would have probably otherwise seen him fired. He's got 3 really mediocre seasons bookended by 2 good/great seasons, both of which involved wins over Bama.

One of the great things about college football is the regular season means something. Every week you got to be your best. Keep it that way. 8 teams is literally perfect as already stated. More than that you start to tarnish the regular season.

Reactions: 1 person
One of the great things about college football is the regular season means something. Every week you got to be your best. Keep it that way. 8 teams is literally perfect as already stated. More than that you start to tarnish the regular season.

That's it 8 teams, 3 at-large and 5 from the power 5. The regular season needs to stay intact.

That's it 8 teams, 3 at-large and 5 from the power 5. The regular season needs to stay intact.

how about just the 5 conference champs and let the losers stay home. If you cant win your conference then you dont need to think about a NC

That's not enough of a sample size to make a judgement one way or the other... and 8 teams really does make the most sense. An automatic bid for the Power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams (with one bid guaranteed to the best non P-5). The only problem I see with it, is the sheer number of games played by the teams who play in the championship game. The simple solution to that is to cut one game from the regular season. The 12th regular season game is just used for a cupcake game anyway.

I think it is when you're talking about the supposedly 4 best teams.

how about just the 5 conference champs and let the losers stay home. If you cant win your conference then you dont need to think about a NC

One of the other three teams would be the highest rated of the non Power 5 programs. So there’s really only two teams that would be in it that didn’t win their conference. I also disagree with your last sentence, look at Alabama this past season.

8 teams.

Right now the playoff is basically 4 at large teams that are voted in by a committee.

Why not:

-5 Power Five champs
-3 At large teams that are voted in by the committee

Or does that just make too much sense?

I support 8 teams (no team gets a bye). 12 other bowls and that's it. 5-7 teams in bowl games makes zero sense to me.

I never liked 4 to begin with.. always said it should be 8 and I still think that..

But man.. imagine if some dolt convinced enough people into buying in to this and we have a football version of March madness in November..
The absurdity just makes me laugh a whole lot.. nearly woke up the 6 yr old lol

24 is way too many. You can’t tell me you think a team ranked 24th is the best team in the country. The top 4 maybe top 5 usually have an argument. I’m happy with where we are currently. If it’s moved to 6 teams then 7 will be mad they’re left out. The playoffs should only contain the teams the are the best. It shouldn’t be like the nba where half the teams make the playoffs.

24 is way too many. You can’t tell me you think a team ranked 24th is the best team in the country. The top 4 maybe top 5 usually have an argument. I’m happy with where we are currently. If it’s moved to 6 teams then 7 will be mad they’re left out. The playoffs should only contain the teams the are the best. It shouldn’t be like the nba where half the teams make the playoffs.

Quality post

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back