24 team cfb playoff system: let the champion be decided on the football field

It absolutely has. I'm speaking about the last 2 years of college football, not the last 20. The SEC has not been the best conference in college football over the last couple of years.

I guess it’s blasphemy to suggest the Big 10 is better now than it was 10+ years ago, and the SEC is worse now than 10+ years ago...even if it’s true.

It absolutely has. I'm speaking about the last 2 years of college football, not the last 20. The SEC has not been the best conference in college football over the last couple of years.

Well, that's your opinion but Alabama has played for the last two championships. Big 10 hasn't.

Check the realtime RPI rankings for the conferences the SEC has been the best the past two seasons.

RealTimeRPI.com College Football/NCAAF - College Football Power Rankings and Analysis, A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I guess it’s blasphemy to suggest the Big 10 is better now than it was 10+ years ago, and the SEC is worse now than 10+ years ago...even if it’s true.

...and Tennessee fans seek to preserve the narrative for as long as possible for the possibility that it makes us look better, because we've been completely AWOL during this SEC "golden age." That was basically the core of Chatt-town's argument...we aren't good, but we play more good teams than anyone else, so if we played in the Big 10 or ACC we'd look a lot better.

Sorry, we would have been awful in any conference last year.

- beat a 4-8 Independent team by 4 at home
- lost to a 6-6 team
- lost by 33 to another 6-6 team
- lost to a 5-7 team by 18 at home

Which Big 10 team would we have beaten last year? Maybe Illinois? Which SEC team could we have beaten last year? Maybe Arkansas? Pretty comparable.

...and Tennessee fans seek to preserve the narrative for as long as possible for the possibility that it makes us look better, because we've been completely AWOL during this SEC "golden age." That was basically the core of Chatt-town's argument...we aren't good, but we play more good teams than anyone else, so if we played in the Big 10 or ACC we'd look a lot better.

Sorry, we would have been awful in any conference last year.

- beat a 4-8 Independent team by 4 at home
- lost to a 6-6 team
- lost by 33 to another 6-6 team
- lost to a 5-7 team by 18 at home

Which Big 10 team would we have beaten last year? Maybe Illinois? Which SEC team could we have beaten last year? Maybe Arkansas? Pretty comparable.

Your missing the point, your claim was the Big 10 was the better conference the past two seasons. But, you offer NO Evidence to support that claim. Thus, it's simply your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. Ha ha.

In 2017, the Big 10 had the #5, #6, #9, #18, and #20 ranked teams. In 2016, they had the #6, #7, #9, and #10 ranked teams. In 2015, they had the #4, #6, #9, #12, #21, and #23 ranked teams.

I'll admit 2017 was a better year for the SEC than 2016 and 2015. In '17 the SEC had #1, #2, #10, #18, and #19. However, 2016 and 2015 were very top heavy, especially 2015. Alabama was clearly the best SEC team in 2015; who was the second best? A 10-3 Ole Miss team who beat Alabama but also had losses to Memphis and Arkansas? Was it LSU or Florida, both of whom were convincingly beaten by Alabama? In 2016, who was the second best SEC team? LSU, who played Alabama close but had 3 other losses? 4-loss Florida who lost by 38 to Alabama? 4-loss Tennessee who lost by 39 to Alabama? 5-loss Auburn who lost by 18 to Alabama? You might think I'm cherry-picking teams from those years to prove my point but I'm not..those were all the other ranked teams in the conference. That's how you figure depth...who is the second or third best team in a conference?

The Big 10 not being the home of the champ doesn't preclude it from being the best conference overall in a given year. Was anybody arguing that the Pac 12 (then the Pac 10) was the best conference when USC was winning all their titles? It clearly was not...it was not a deep conference at all in those days, which USC was a beneficiary of.

8 teams.

Right now the playoff is basically 4 at large teams that are voted in by a committee.

Why not:

-5 Power Five champs
-3 At large teams that are voted in by the committee

Or does that just make too much sense?

Been saying this for years. It is just too obvious for it to ever happen.

You make all the conferences happy and you give a Group of 5 conference a shot at making the dance!

#8teamplayoff

FCS does it....and it works just fine.

Just let the lower seed host until the Championship Game.

Uh ok.

No I didn’t, but ok.

You did...quite well in fact.

My only points were
1. The SEC isn’t as strong as it used to be, and the Big 10 is better than it used to be.
2. Coaching is the primary reason behind point 1.

I never claimed the Big 10 is stronger than the SEC.

I think Ohio State’s road to the CFP, based on the improvement of the Big 10 and their division specifically, is similar to Alabama. Both schools play in tough divisions with a historical rival standing in the way of making their respective conference championship games.

My only points were
1. The SEC isn’t as strong as it used to be, and the Big 10 is better than it used to be.

The Big 10's improvement relative to the SEC honestly could be pretty short-lived too. I think the SEC is going to show in coming years vast improvement in coaching, especially if/when Coach O is fired and LSU is able to upgrade.

A&M hired Jimbo, Georgia hired Kirby, Mullen is now at a school where he can win big. Gus is an up-and-down coach at an up-and-down program, but he does have a conference title and 2 division titles and he's no longer the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the conference like he used to me (coaching is deeper).

For your conference to be good and deep, you need to have big time coaches manning the big time jobs. That is currently the case at Alabama, Georgia, and A&M. I'm hesitant to call Gus a "big time" coach because of the inconsistency but I certainly wouldn't say Auburn has a bad coach. We don't know if there are big time coaches at Florida and Tennessee yet. I think LSU will upgrade sooner rather than later.

The Big 10's improvement relative to the SEC honestly could be pretty short-lived too. I think the SEC is going to show in coming years vast improvement in coaching, especially if/when Coach O is fired and LSU is able to upgrade.

A&M hired Jimbo, Georgia hired Kirby, Mullen is now at a school where he can win big. Gus is an up-and-down coach at an up-and-down program, but he does have a conference title and 2 division titles and he's no longer the 2nd or 3rd best coach in the conference like he used to me (coaching is deeper).

For your conference to be good and deep, you need to have big time coaches manning the big time jobs. That is currently the case at Alabama, Georgia, and A&M. I'm hesitant to call Gus a "big time" coach because of the inconsistency but I certainly wouldn't say Auburn has a bad coach. We don't know if there are big time coaches at Florida and Tennessee yet. I think LSU will upgrade sooner rather than later.

Agreed, the quality of SEC coaching is improving, but overall the Big 10 has us beat right now.

Mullen is an upgrade at UF over our last two stiffs, Smart’s stock is rising, and Jimbo Fisher adds instant credibility.

I also think Malzahn is underrated in that he gives Saban fits every now and then, and he’s played for a national title. Not too many coaches can say that.

My only points were

I never claimed the Big 10 is stronger than the SEC.

I think Ohio State’s road to the CFP, based on the improvement of the Big 10 and their division specifically, is similar to Alabama. Both schools play in tough divisions with a historical rival standing in the way of making their respective conference championship games.

Nothing in my post suggested I think the Big 10 is better than it used to be. It’s always been a couple of good teams surrounded by a bunch of Nancy’s.

I can see the argument that this makes a more interesting season because of races to make the playoff. But it would diminish the regular season, no matter what the opposition says. There would be teams that lost 4 maybe 5 times getting into the playoff regularly. I personally like the fact that if you screw up, at least more than once, you are pretty much done. What would keep this scenario from turning into the nfl, where you could have some teams just playing their backups if they already have their spot wrapped up?

I like a proposal I read about several years ago.
1) Reduce Division 1 to 70 teams. 5 Power Conferences with 14 teams each. The remaining teams can have a separate division and play for a separate NC.
2) Division 1 teams all play 9 conference games and 3 OOC games. Only one game a year can be against a non power 5 school. The regular season schedule is instantly better for all teams. Only one cupcake a year.
3) All power 5 conferences have a championship game whose winner gets into 8 team playoff.
4) 3 at large teams

Last edited:
8 teams.

Right now the playoff is basically 4 at large teams that are voted in by a committee.

Why not:

-5 Power Five champs
-3 At large teams that are voted in by the committee

Or does that just make too much sense?

Eventually, I think this will be the next and final step taken (anything more than an 8 team playoff would mean too many games in the season for college - a potentially 16 game season is pushing it as it is). Of the 3 at large bids to the playoff - the non Power 5 should be guaranteed one bid. There should be no room for complaining then - by anybody.

Georgia vs Oklahoma wasn't good enough for you? It's one of the best games I've ever seen. Though I was mad the Dawgs pulled it out.

Hence the word "generally." Of the 8 semifinal games so far, only OSU-Bama and UGA-OU were decided by less than 3 scores. I wouldn't consider 25% "generally decent."

Hence the word "generally." Of the 8 semifinal games so far, only OSU-Bama and UGA-OU were decided by less than 3 scores. I wouldn't consider 25% "generally decent."

That's not enough of a sample size to make a judgement one way or the other... and 8 teams really does make the most sense. An automatic bid for the Power 5 conference champs plus 3 at large teams (with one bid guaranteed to the best non P-5). The only problem I see with it, is the sheer number of games played by the teams who play in the championship game. The simple solution to that is to cut one game from the regular season. The 12th regular season game is just used for a cupcake game anyway.

VN Store

Back