2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
People act like the kids we have on the roster now are better than the kids we have coming in. This girl played on the USA 3*3 team, she will be a starter. We need athletes and quickness something the team didn’t have last year. Tell me who on the roster right now at the guard spot can defend and shoot like her? Spear can shoot but she isn’t the defender or rebounder kapunis is. This would be a perfect match to put her alongside Jewel.

Nobody is saying that but what’s the point in comparing players that will be teammates when this team will look completely different than it has in recent years in a new system.

That is pointless. They will compete and make each other better. Does not only matter who starts but who comes in off the bench and contributes. Players can improve in one off-season. Players can get better with different coaching.

That right now is more important than any other factor.

Reactions: krichunaka
People act like the kids we have on the roster now are better than the kids we have coming in. This girl played on the USA 3*3 team, she will be a starter. We need athletes and quickness something the team didn’t have last year. Tell me who on the roster right now at the guard spot can defend and shoot like her? Spear can shoot but she isn’t the defender or rebounder kapunis is. This would be a perfect match to put her alongside Jewel.
We certainly know what most of the players on the roster bring except two Boyd and Cooper. I think your right she could definitely start so could Whitehorn both are better defensively than most of last seasons roster.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Oklahoma plays a VERY different style from Oregon State. It'll be interesting to see how she fits, but of course, anytime you can get a 6'4" All-American, you go for it!

I think more thank anything OU realizes they HAD to get one player with imposing size.

IMG_4718.jpeg
As it stands they had a couple forwards coming back but they are both pretty slim. A little like us, very athletic, but Beers gives them that player who can battle with another strong post.

I actually think it’s completely opposite for Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Tennessee has strong built forwards like Sara Puckett and Alyssa Latham. Lazaria Spearman is long and lean but she plays strong in the paint.

Tennessee guards are also strongly built in particularly Jewel Spear, Kaiya Wynn, Tess Darby, and Talaysia Cooper who has added muscle to her tall frame.

One or two more post/forwards in the 6’4-6’5+ range in addition to the potential guard/wing duo that UT is recruiting and this is the most physically imposing roster UT has had since the legendary CPS era.

UConn is also at the max scholarships of 15. When has he ever played more than nine any reasonable minutes. Going to be some sitters on that team, but the way it is looking that could definitely be our team as well.
Kim subs 5 players at a time to keep fresh legs in the game and to also punish the other teams players. You're not gonna see anyone walk the ball up court.

My question as well. I was thinking 2-3 from portal to have a couple left for hs recruits. If we take the two visiting this weekend do we only have room for one hs recruit?
There is literally no top 100 2024 recruits that haven't committed. We will have plenty of room for the 2025 recruits with all the people we lose next year.

She said she played 10 to 11 in her rotation so if we have 15 on the bench someone is going to sit.
In prior years, everyone hated platoon subbing because players could never find a rhythm and function as a cohesive unit. Against top flight comp, bringing in an entirely new slate of players who suddenly have to jump into game speed would be disastrous.

CKC may do something like that in a few early season games (against overmatched opponents hopefully) just to assess different combinations. But when once the grind of the season sets in, I would be shocked if there is not a core rotation in place of 7-8 players established. Maybe CKC will push that up to 10 but I think that would be the upper limit.

A lot of posters seem obsessed by a video game ideal where the LVs will press like a pack of starving wolves for 40 minutes and continuously sprint up and down the court, getting a shot up every 5 seconds.

That would not be a sustainable game plan and the evidence is that no plays like that. Pressing works best in timely stretches where you catch an opponent off guard but a steady diet means good teams break your press a lot.

Good teams will find ways to control the tempo, at least in stretches, and CKC's teams will have to be able run more deliberate half court sets.

Having said that, I expect this team will play much faster and get up more shots than last years version which often operated at snails pace. But relatively faster does not mean that the games are going to be a track meet where all 15 players are passing the baton to each other,

I talk hoops 🏀

@trendyhoopstars

The Tennessee Lady Vols are currently pursuing two current top 15 Best Available transfers in Leilani Kapinus (Penn State), and Ruby Whitehorn (Clemson):In a perfect world, if the Lady Vols secure BOTH transfers, Tennessee should easily be a preseason top 25 team.Kapinus is one of the best defending guards in the country, averaging (2.4) steals and (1.1) blocks in her three seasons at Penn State.Whitehorn is coming off a solid sophomore season where she proved she can score against the top teams in the country (12.9 points vs top 25 teams).If successful, adding these two guards with the transfers they already have coming in, along with a returning lineup featuring Spears (13.1 points), Sara Puckett (9.9 points), Destinee Wells (6.8 points), and Jillian Hollingshead (4.6 points) would certainly be a big win for Coach Kim Caldwell.

A lot of posters seem obsessed by a video game ideal where the LVs will press like a pack of starving wolves for 40 minutes and continuously sprint up and down the court, getting a shot up every 5 seconds.

That would not be a sustainable game plan and the evidence is that no plays like that. Pressing works best in timely stretches where you catch an opponent off guard but a steady diet means good teams break your press a lot.

Good teams will find ways to control the tempo, at least in stretches, and CKC's teams will have to be able run more deliberate half court sets.
I watched the first quarter of Marshall vs Wake Forest and as 2012 had already said, Marshall barely ran or pressed at all. Walked the ball up at times, actually had a good looking movement based half court offense but it would always get blown up by a badly forced shot that seemed to be thrown up just for the heck of it. Even Wake, a really bad team, controlled the tempo. As 2012 also said, the overall quality of play was so bad I couldn't stand to watch more. These were Missouri or Georgia level SEC teams.

Hate to tell you but the one thing Marshall did do as advertised was the mass subbing. Which was hard to understand bc they weren't really pressing. Changed out all five at about 3 min mark, continued to mass sub throughout the quarter. I'm assuming everyone who comes and everyone who stayed is ok with this, and as you said, with not depending on rythmn. That's really scary to me, but it all is so we'll just see what happens.

It is counterintuitive that no, they didn't run and press that much, but yes, they subbed that much but there you go. Also as you mentioned, ironic bc oversubbing was one of the things Kellie got most roasted for.

Reactions: vols90
Posters sometimes just say things that are not close to being true.

Both are double figure scorers and defensive minded guards. You don’t have to average 15 pts a game to be a scorer when you impact the game in other ways to create offense for your teammates.

Also, realize that players do improve and increase their averages. I mean Kiki Iriafen went from averaging 6.8 pts to 19 pts in one year. Nobody even remembers that for two years in a row she averaged 4 pts and 6 pts a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebowbear
I watched the first quarter of Marshall vs Wake Forest and as 2012 had already said, Marshall barely ran or pressed at all. Walked the ball up at times, actually had a good looking movement based half court offense but it would always get blown up by a badly forced shot that seemed to be thrown up just for the heck of it. Even Wake, a really bad team, controlled the tempo. As 2012 also said, the overall quality of play was so bad I couldn't stand to watch more. These were Missouri or Georgia level SEC teams.

Hate to tell you but the one thing Marshall did do as advertised was the mass subbing. Which was hard to understand bc they weren't really pressing. Changed out all five at about 3 min mark, continued to mass sub throughout the quarter. I'm assuming everyone who comes and everyone who stayed is ok with this, and as you said, with not depending on rythmn. That's really scary to me, but it all is so we'll just see what happens.

It is counterintuitive that no, they didn't run and press that much, but yes, they subbed that much but there you go. Also as you mentioned, ironic bc oversubbing was one of the things Kellie got most roasted for.

Time will tell but I am betting that CKC coaches things a bit differently at UT than she did at Marshall. She has not put this staff together to just stay the same.

Posters sometimes just say things that are not close to being true.

Both are double figure scorers and defensive minded guards. You don’t have to average 15 pts a game to be a scorer when you impact the game in other ways to create offense for your teammates.

Also, realize that players do improve and increase their averages. I mean Kiki Iriafen went from averaging 6.8 pts to 19 pts in one year. Nobody even remembers that for two years in a row she averaged 4 pts and 6 pts a game.

Like what you say.

I think both players would be awesome additions to the team. Makes us a lot better. However neither has committed yet and suspect the Whitehorn visit is over or close to over. She has us and Florida St so hopefully we get her choice by at least Wednesday of next week. The other player has not even visited yet don't know which teams other that Tennessee she is looking at. So yes we need both these players hopefully they become part of our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back