2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wherever she goes, I hope she is successful and happy.

If that’s what happens I think it’s a good move for her but probably not the best move for Purcell.

Not because she isn’t a great hire, but because he recently lost an assistant to UT they tried very hard to keep by making Associate Head Coach.

Just doesn’t look the greatest to lose staff to a school and then hire their recent castoff.

Supporting someone doesn’t always mean brining them along with you. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to support them in moving on to something that suits their skillset, personality and lifestyle better.

This is true in sports and in the professional, working world. I’ve had some great employees in the past who were wonderful people but were not right for my business or the role they were in. The best scenario for them was me supporting them in finding a better fit elsewhere. Guess what? We’re friends, I’d still do anything for them and they know that, their lives are better for having gone separate ways.

As a leader if you can tell someone isn’t cut out for the role they are in it is YOUR responsibility to manage that. You don’t just let them hang out and flounder because you’re afraid to have a tough conversation.
this mirrors my philosophy on this type of matter,,,exactly
Just like coaches,,,athletes have strengths and weaknesses, mental and physical

Caroline will have the time of her life if she goes to a league where she is not dwarfed in height
Just like my good friend, Chris's daughter,,Emily
Who is excelling and putting up record numbers in her new BB home:

...Saunders (Youngstown State) was voted to the All-Horizon League Third Team and the conference's All-Defensive Team in her best collegiate season in 2023-24. The fifth-year senior from Mullens, W. Va., ranked among the top 25 players in the country with 2.3 blocks per game and a .579 field-goal percentage, and she led the Horizon League in both categories. Saunders averaged 11.7 points and 6.9 rebounds, which were up from previous career highs of 4.3 points and 2.2 rebounds. She had 45 more blocks than any other season in her career, and her 73 blocks were the second most in program history.)

this mirrors my philosophy on this type of matter,,,exactly
Just like coaches,,,athletes have strengths and weaknesses, mental and physical

Caroline will have the time of her life if she goes to a league where she is not dwarfed in height
Just like my good friend, Chris's daughter,,Emily
Who is excelling and putting up record numbers in her new BB home:

...Saunders (Youngstown State) was voted to the All-Horizon League Third Team and the conference's All-Defensive Team in her best collegiate season in 2023-24. The fifth-year senior from Mullens, W. Va., ranked among the top 25 players in the country with 2.3 blocks per game and a .579 field-goal percentage, and she led the Horizon League in both categories. Saunders averaged 11.7 points and 6.9 rebounds, which were up from previous career highs of 4.3 points and 2.2 rebounds. She had 45 more blocks than any other season in her career, and her 73 blocks were the second most in program history.)

Hannah Stuelke is 6'2 and held up pretty well against bigger posts all season for Iowa. Karo at 6-3 and a real solid build had those capabilities. HS does appear more agile than KS but Karo could hit 3's which is not part of Stuelke's game.

CKC's "system" lends itself to a player like Karo in the five spot. She won't be running the high-low system that Kelllie and everyone back to CPS have run at Tennessee but will likely want a spread the floor type player.

But I am getting ahead of myself, the philosophy you share with VolBall09 is a very good approach. But it is a huge extrapolation from that orientation to VB09's contention that CKC told Karo to hit the transfer highway and don't let the door hit ya' on the way out.

Again, if CKC could see a role in her system for Tess (never a paragon of quickness), there is no way that she would not have welcomed Karo.

There are so many diverse reasons why a player, taking her graduate fifth year option, might look for a new environment. It is actually pretty common for such players to finish up at a different school. So, just best to wish her well and leave it at that for this most recent LVFL.

VolBall09's baseless speculation is not fair to either the player or coach in question and it seems to be part of this poster's agenda to denigrate anything and everything associated with the prior coach.

Last edited:
You just want either to be right or for her to fail - really sad. She wasn't the coach that you disliked very much but I see you can't separate the players from that.

How would transferring to a quality mid-major and being successful be a failure?

I think it would be more of a failure to attempt another P5 team and end up playing 10 minutes a game and barely impacting the game as a senior.

I love Karo as much as anyone on here, what you think is a good decision for her and what I think is a good decision for her do not align.

So we will see how it shakes out.

But again, I fail to see how it would be a failure for her to go somewhere like MTSU where she would get great coaching, a ton of minutes, win a lot of games and have a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
Hannah Stuelke is 6'2 and held up pretty well against bigger posts all season for Iowa. Karo at 6-3 and a real solid build had those capabilities. HS does appear more agile that KS but Karo could hit 3's which is not part of Stuelke's game.

CKC "system" lends itself to a player like Karo in the five spot. She won't be running the high-low system that Kelllie and everyone back to CPS have run at Tennessee but will likely want a spread the floor type player.

But I am getting ahead of myself, the philosophy you share with VolBall09 is a very good approach. But it is a huge extrapolation from that orientation to VB09's contention that CKC told Karo to hit the transfer highway and don't let the door hit ya' on the way out.

Again, if CKC could see a role in her system for Tess (never a paragon of quickness), there is no way that she would not have welcomed Karo.

There are so many diverse reasons why a player, taking her graduate fifth year option, might look for a new environment. It is actually pretty common for such players to finish up at a different school. So, just best to wish her well and leave at that for this most recent LVFL.

VolBall09's baseless speculation is not fair to either the player or coach in question and it seems to be part of this poster's agenda to denigrate anything and everything associated with the prior coach.

Hannah Stuelke is an explosive athlete this is a tough comparison for me. She reminds me more of a Jasmine Franklin pre-injury.

How would transferring to a quality mid-major and being successful be a failure?

I think I’d be more of a failure to attempt another P5 team and end up playing 10 minutes a game and barely impacting the game as a senior.

I love Karo as much as anyone on here, what you think it’s a good decision for her and what I think is a good decision for her do not align.

So we will see how it shakes out.

But again, I fail to see how it would be a failure for her to go somewhere like MTSU where she would get great coaching, a ton of minutes, win a lot of games and have a lot of fun.

First and foremost, I don't know why Karo made the decision to transfer and neither do you. I don't know how she defines success and neither do you.

These ladies are individuals with their own goals. They will do what is best for them based on their goals, which may or may not completely be baked into how they perform on the basketball court. Most of them understand they are probably not bound for the WNBA but will be going "pro" (as the commercial says) in something else. With her graduating this semester she may just be ready to move onto a place that is a better steppingstone for her goals whatever they may be.

Why can't you just wish her well instead of spreading thoughts that she was asked to leave when there is nothing that indicates that is the case?

You will note she is no longer a Lady Vol.
Yeah, because SHE decided to transfer after she got recruited over...well over a year after she was arrested.

Seriously, let's not pretend that all these girls were saints. Much like most other major programs, most of them were upstanding citizens but there were a few that made questionable choices as wel.

Yes but that's the chicken and egg dillema. Take what you can sign or pass on them and gamble on elites only. Which can (and did) result in signing no one. KJH tried both ways and failed spectacularly. Left them dependent on the portal and players with limitied eligibility, which left a roster with crazy imbalance in class and position. Which reportedly was one of the main things that got her fired.

Everyone wants elite only recruits all the time. Reality is what to do when your only options are 30-50ish type players. Hope we can get back on track with all that in the near future.
Agree with almost all of that. But she did not “gamble on elites only”. She was seldom really deep with top ten talent. She even failed on the 30-50 crowd.

Last edited:
Why the negativity? That account pretty much never posts unless it’s a sure bet. No clue who it is but they know things.
it’s not negative to say they haven’t committed yet, it’s the truth. nye hasn’t said a thing and nothing has really came out about her. latham i’m thinking we get, nye is a mystery.

First and foremost, I don't know why Karo made the decision to transfer and neither do you. I don't know how she defines success and neither do you.

These ladies are individuals with their own goals. They will do what is best for them based on their goals, which may or may not completely be baked into how they perform on the basketball court. Most of them understand they are probably not bound for the WNBA but will be going "pro" (as the commercial says) in something else. With her graduating this semester she may just be ready to move onto a place that is a better steppingstone for her goals whatever they may be.

Why can't you just wish her well instead of spreading thoughts that she was asked to leave when there is nothing that indicates that is the case?
Karo, Sarah, and Kaiya were pretty much tied at the hip but this team was pretty close as a whole. If this coach asked Karolyn to leave as mentioned in the above commentary, it would probably cause a domino effect. I am sure a new coach isn't trying to start that in year 1 at a new program. It is a lot harder to gain respect of a team than it is to lose that respect. Caldwell is not looking to be villanized in her first month leading a new team or in front of one of the largest fan bases in the country.

my two cents....i highly doubt a player who was a regular starting post player (who shoots 3s) was asked to leave. to say it differently, if the darby sisters are still on the team with the new system, there's absolutely no reason to think karo was asked to leave. she is far bettered suited for the new system than others.

this all seems like karo made a decision to do something different for her own reasons. there's not a single piece of evidence to suggest otherwise. she will be missed. she was known as the hardest worker on the team. the work ethic alone will need to be replaced by others.

I believe Latham was at the UT softball game, but this was from a secondary source. I was looking for Kelly and Spearman today at the game, but did not spot them.

I’m willing to bet they are not going to bring every single recruit to a softball game especially on their first day arriving to campus. Latham was on her 2nd day of her visit which made sense to get out around the fans with the rest of the team. I would expect right now Spearman is likely at the team facilities and/or touring the campus that will be followed up with a dinner later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back