2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren’t signing for Sam though. That was not her job. She pursued them, watched them, got them in on visits. No recruit signs with the assistant coach.
They know her and was the person with whom they had the most contact. If Kim wants that to help her recruit, then, she will keep her. If she feels she can get recruits without her, she will make that decision.

They know her and was the person with whom they had the most contact. If Kim wants that to help her recruit, then, she will keep her. If she feels she can get recruits without her, she will make that decision.
Exactly. If Danny and Kim think it’s a good idea bc of the relationships formed with recruits, they’ll keep her. I’m not married to the idea that she has to stay. However, Caldwell is going to need someone with those relationships as an assistant. To not set her up with someone with prior relationships to the players we need, would be setting her up for failure.

They weren’t signing for Sam though. That was not her job. She pursued them, watched them, got them in on visits. No recruit signs with the assistant coach.

Several do. That’s why when the assistant leaves they do too because that’s the one they have the closest relationship with.

Reactions: T_Vol376
But what good did that do for the last coach? They couldn’t recruit top recruits that were sitting in TN, they were plain crappy with recruiting, so why worry about keeping ANYONE from the past when they were so bad with recruiting are they just magically going to get better and pull in some studs for next season right now? I mean if that’s the case I’d have some huge questions on why they were so bad to begin with that it led to a coach getting fired!
My thoughts exactly. Recruiting has been terrible. Why would you keep the recruiting coordinator from the staff who couldn’t recruit?

My thoughts exactly. Recruiting has been terrible. Why would you keep the recruiting coordinator from the staff who couldn’t recruit?

I can see this argument from both sides.

On one hand I think a clean slate for the new coach with new assistants is a good idea.

On the other, Williams has been a top assistant for 20+ years at this point and has a great reputation. She got all the right kids on campus for us, but the head coach could not close the deal from the looks of things.

Players like Shade visited so much they might as well have been enrolled. Then she chose someone who could actually coach her and went to UConn.

We also had really good players visit for games like Ohio State where we got run out of our own gym. Again, Sam got them there, but the product and coaching they saw was not good.

Last edited:
Several do. That’s why when the assistant leaves they do too because that’s the one they have the closest relationship with.
True, in some cases. I would say that isn’t the majority though. However, you are right that those relationships are important. If they can bring in someone else that has relationships with the recruits we need, then I am all for it.

I can see this argument from both sides.

On one hand I think a clean slate for the new coach with new assistants is a good idea.

On the other, Williams has been a top assistant for 20+ years at this point and has a great reputation. She got all the right kids on campus for us for the head coach could not close the deal from the looks of things.

Players like Shade visited so much they might as well have been enrolled. Then she chose someone who could actually coach her and went to UConn.

We also had really good players visit for games like Ohio State where we got run out of our own gym. Again, Sam got them there, but the product and coaching they saw was not good.
Sam was known as a great recruiter prior to coming here

Sam was known as a great recruiter prior to coming here

Yes and has a history of excellent guard development when she has the guards TO develop.

All the guards we have had the last several seasons had plateaued by the time they were on rocky top. Walker, Powell and company had really reached their limit.

Yes and has a history of excellent guard development when she has the guards TO develop.

All the guards we have had the last several seasons had plateaued by the time they were on rocky top. Walker, Powell and company had really reached their limit.
Yeah, I just don’t know how much of the blame can be attributed to Sam. She had them on campus, from there it’s kind of out of her hands.

But again, I’m NOT advocating that we HAVE to keep Sam, just need someone with the relationships with the transfers/recruits we need.

Sams job was to get them here. It was Kellie's job and the collective to get them to sign.

I think that is the main reason DW fired Kelie. I think they had irreconcilable differences over how to use NIL in the new landscape of recruiting. I think it was less to do with Kelly's coaching record and more to do with the future of bringing in players that can win and building a championship roster.

I think that is the main reason DW fired Kelie. I think they had irreconcilable differences over how to use NIL in the new landscape of recruiting. I think it was less to do with Kelly's coaching record and more to do with the future of bringing in players that can win and building a championship roster.
It’s also arguably more frustrating to see top recruits come to campus and not seal the deal than to never get the recruits here. We also don’t know what convos DW had with the coaching staff.

Yeah, I just don’t know how much of the blame can be attributed to Sam. She had them on campus, from there it’s kind of out of her hands.

But again, I’m NOT advocating that we HAVE to keep Sam, just need someone with the relationships with the transfers/recruits we need.
Maybe keep Sam for at least a year to help Recommit the Decommits. Could be worth it and if things worked out, then keep her longer.

Totally up to the new coach I hope as to who the Assistants will be. I wouldn't want Danny White or anyone else to have a say in who she wants to help her run the program. I like Williams and Joy she may like the people she had at Marshall better. It all comes down to we need players and anyone that can get them is the Assistants we need.

They were also grad transfers, so their games were already pretty much set. Impact of the assistant's coaching on incoming freshmen vs. players with 3-4 years college playing experience will be very, very different.

ps://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2021 Five of the top 50 in 2021 are in the portal.
2022 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN Six of the top 50 of 2022 are in the portal
2023 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN Four of the top 50 of 2023 are in the portal
2020 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN Five of the top 50 of 2020 are in the portal
Then there is 2018 Zaay Green in the portal a top 25 player in 2018

So 21 players ranked as top 50 in their class are in the portal. There are another 50 that have better stats than these players that were not in the top 50 in the portal. Enough talent is in the portal to move you way up quickly just have to get the right ones for your team.

The highest ranked player in the portal from a Hoopgurlz class is Gardiner who was ranked number 6 in the 2022 class.

JMO the portal is better than any high school rankings because you can see what the player has already done and how they game fits with your team. If we can get five of the top 80 in the portal were going to have a really good team as far as potential talent.
I think you're even undercounting by quite a bit!

2020: 14 in the top 50
Van Lith
Priscilla Williams
Kelly
Gusters
Scherr
Poole
Hunt
Cameron Williams
Eaton
Elliott
Russell
Hayes
Green
Poole

2021: 8 in the top 50
Wolfenbarger (to LSU)
Key
DeBerry
Hagemann
von Oelhoffen
Bigby
Poffenbarger
Newman

2022: 9 in the top 50
Gardiner
Gray
VanSlooten
Whitehorn
Oldacre
Paris (to Arizona)
Bransford
Gilbert
Shaw

2023: 6 in the top 50
Scott
Vasconcelos
Jah
Velez
Long
Bristow

Totally up to the new coach I hope as to who the Assistants will be. I wouldn't want Danny White or anyone else to have a say in who she wants to help her run the program. I like Williams and Joy she may like the people she had at Marshall better. It all comes down to we need players and anyone that can get them is the Assistants we need.
She needs the tree best assistants that she can get and hope money isn’t an issue. With that and get the best players in the portal that fits her system and go from there. She has to be set up with all the tools or she will fail. DW is not going to let her fail

Maybe keep Sam for at least a year to help Recommit the Decommits. Could be worth it and if things worked out, then keep her longer.
That wouldn’t be a bad plan. I just want Caldwell to be able to succeed here bc she is the new coach and for our players. I really don’t want her behind the eight ball with recruits starting out. Kellie was massively behind with them when she started with Lacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back