2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel just the opposite. Emphasize shooters, esp 3 pt shooters and use player development to get SEC quality defense. Esp bc one of the new assistants is or was a "defensive coordinator". I think it's easier to develop defense than shooting. We're going to be a team that takes 30 3s a game. Who? Jewel and Sara, obviously, and Strip can shoot. Tess if the situation is right. But we need much, much more offense. Or nothing else matters. Of course we want all the players to be athletic as well.

Is there a really good 3 pt shooter currently in the portal?

Remind me about Kaniya Boyd? What can we realistically expect from her offensively? I guess it's hard to know since she missed her Sr yr w injury. Avg 12 ppg as a Jr. I think I remember her as known mostly as a lock down defender, which is great. Just wondered how her shot is.

Coop is an unknown also, but don't think she's a 3 ball shooter.
Cooper is unknown for me as well, but looking at the stats of the players we most likely will get, I notice they are poor 3pt and ft shooters, are you concerned about that?

Cooper is unknown for me as well, but looking at the stats of the players we most likely will get, I notice they are poor 3pt and ft shooters, are you concerned about that?
Extremely concerned. That was the point of my post. We have about 25 pts and 13 rebounds per game to make up btw Rickea and JP. If we don't address that, no "system" is going to matter. I don't mind 30 3s a game as long as a respectable amount of them get made.

Extremely concerned. That was the point of my post. We have about 25 pts and 13 rebounds per game to make up btw Rickea and JP. If we don't address that, no "system" is going to matter. I don't mind 30 3s a game as long as a respectable amount of them get made.
…and hacka offensive rebounder could get us in trouble too.

Reactions: brittannica
I feel just the opposite. Emphasize shooters, esp 3 pt shooters and use player development to get SEC quality defense. Esp bc one of the new assistants is or was a "defensive coordinator". I think it's easier to develop defense than shooting. We're going to be a team that takes 30 3s a game. Who? Jewel and Sara, obviously, and Strip can shoot. Tess if the situation is right. But we need much, much more offense. Or nothing else matters. Of course we want all the players to be athletic as well.

Is there a really good 3 pt shooter currently in the portal?

Remind me about Kaniya Boyd? What can we realistically expect from her offensively? I guess it's hard to know since she missed her Sr yr w injury. Avg 12 ppg as a Jr. I think I remember her as known mostly as a lock down defender, which is great. Just wondered how her shot is.

Coop is an unknown also, but don't think she's a 3 ball shooter.
Wells can shoot 3s, last year at Belmont shot 45.5% for 3s, 48.6 field goal %. Got hurt here before she could acclimate. Different level of competition, but certainly encouraging.

Wells can shoot 3s, last year at Belmont shot 45.5% for 3s, 48.6 field goal %. Got hurt here before she could acclimate. Different level of competition, but certainly encouraging.
Thought about DW, but she goes into the unknown category also. Did have really good numbers at Belmont, but really bad ones in her short playing time here. So they offset.

We have lots of unknowns on offense. That's why portal players who are poor shooters but athletic make me nervous.

Seems this is the biggest knock on Kellie… almost no one has shot well under her system… I truly believe it’s system too… 3
Point shooters need to shoot more than 4 3s a game.. she never gave that opportunity

Most are closer to 10

Reactions: chuckiepoo
In Wells previous season at Belmont she shot 29% and in her 10 games with us she shot 15%, which is the real Wells?

Thought about DW, but she goes into the unknown category also. Did have really good numbers at Belmont, but really bad ones in her short playing time here. So they offset.

We have lots of unknowns on offense. That's why portal players who are poor shooters but athletic make me nervous.
I do agree that Dwyer is a little bit of a reach but she did shoot 30.6% on only 62 attempts. Whitehorn for instance shot 27.5% on 91 attempts. She would be better than Powell and Wynn and just about the same % as Striplin.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes I know I said the season previous to that one and the 10 games she played with us, is she more like the 45% or the 15% or 29%?
Not what you said, but still, we won’t be deferring to RJ, the mix of players will be different, and if players are encouraged to shoot and make 3s, Wells will probably/hopefully be one of those who can do that.

Is Kellie a good coach?
I would say no and that’s because I grade things differently, I expect a coach to put a championship roster together and if they don’t it’s failure for me. Thats how I will judge this coach as well, if u don’t get the players it’s on the coach. You can judge a coach how u want but that’s my criteria.

I love JP and thought she played her heart out.

You cannot deny she regressed under Kellie though. Sorry. Facts are facts. She looked like a much better player coming to Knoxville and never reached that level again.

Her scoring, passing and shooting percentages were all down at UT compared to Minnesota.

View attachment 635101
Totally different role here than there, here she was ask to facilitate and run the team. There she was asked to be a go to player. We didn't need her in the role that Minnesota needed her because we had more talent around her. She also played against better competition night in and night out.

I’m just going by stats and what I’ve watched. Doesn’t look to me like the problem for most of our team is that they’re not shooting enough 3s. Don’t think that’s going to magically make them better.

We need shooters and scorers fm the portal.

I’m just going by stats and what I’ve watched. Doesn’t look to me like the problem for most of our team is that they’re not shooting enough 3s. Don’t think that’s going to magically make them better.

We need shooters and scorers fm the portal.
I strongly disagree on the volume problem with the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back