2024 Transfer Portal Thread

We needed a generational talent to get there. Will be difficult to replicate.
I am not sure he is a generational talent, but the film clips I have watched on Lanier look pretty good. He can score on all three levels. He sets up the drive with his pull back dribble well. If the defense doesn't stay with him, he can shoot the three. The key for CRB is going to be how he improves defensively. I am sure there will be much time working on his defense (lol) and how he can help the team. I am excited about the possibilities of the team that the Vols' staff is putting together. Go Vols!

Brent Hubbs in the war room last night made Lanier sound like anything but a sure thing. I know everybody is so confident about landing him, but Hubbs doesn’t seem to be. I know AP made it seem like we had a significant lead yesterday, but I’m not so sure after that war room.

Brent Hubbs in the war room last night made Lanier sound like anything but a sure thing. I know everybody is so confident about landing him, but Hubbs doesn’t seem to be. I know AP made it seem like we had a significant lead yesterday, but I’m not so sure after that war room.
Hubbs is meh. Let the kid have his fun, he only had two offers out of HS, didn’t have much of a recruitment.

You see the portal guys that enter everyday, IF Lanier goes elsewhere then get someone else

I’m just telling you guys what they’re saying on VQ. Hubbs may not be as plugged in as AP or others on this board that have said he’s a done deal.
Or maybe he’s trying to let a kid have his moment? Or trying to let the process play out a bit for the kid? He also literally has a line that says “all the smoke is around Tennessee & Maryland”…

Or maybe he’s trying to let a kid have his moment? Or trying to let the process play out a bit for the kid? He also literally has a line that says “all the smoke is around Tennessee & Maryland”…
Why would he go to Maryland? Didn’t they just get 2 similar players?
Or is it because his “agent” has Maryland connections?

Hubbs gonna Hubbs 🤷🏻‍♂️

They had a consensus first team AA (Tristan Newton), and two other players projected 3rd (Castle) and 9th (Clingan) in this year's draft. They easily offset Knecht.
Agree. They had a great team. Not a single guy who was a Knecht level college player.

Castle probably would have become that (or more) had he stayed a few years…which is why he’s projected to be drafted so high.

We needed a generational talent to get there. Will be difficult to replicate.
I'm not sure that's true. When I look back at last year, I admit that Knecht carried this team on his shoulders many times. While it's great that he had the ability to do that, it's troubling that he had to...well...do that. There were way too many times when we were playing 4 on 5 or 3 on 5. If we can get some consistency not only in scoring, but actually showing up and competing, maybe we don't need that superstar? Vescovi and JJJ gave us 6.3 and 8.4 per game as starters. Aidoo gave us 11/7. Dubar brings 18/7 and Okpara 6.6/6.4. Granted Dubar has yet to prove it at this level, but early returns from the portal are certainly promising. Add in Lanier or Tyson along with Igor plus Carr and Mashack are a year older and better. I think things are shaping up quite well. No offense to Vescovi and JJJ and even Aidoo, but man, the amount of no shows from that bunch frustrated the beegeebers outta me. I was so ready for those guys to move on and some new blood to hit campus. Wish 'em well, but we needed to flip this roster.

I'm not sure that's true. When I look back at last year, I admit that Knecht carried this team on his shoulders many times. While it's great that he had the ability to do that, it's troubling that he had to...well...do that. There were way too many times when we were playing 4 on 5 or 3 on 5. If we can get some consistency not only in scoring, but actually showing up and competing, maybe we don't need that superstar? Vescovi and JJJ gave us 6.3 and 8.4 per game as starters. Aidoo gave us 11/7. Dubar brings 18/7 and Okpara 6.6/6.4. Granted Dubar has yet to prove it at this level, but early returns from the portal are certainly promising. Add in Lanier or Tyson along with Igor plus Carr and Mashack are a year older and better. I think things are shaping up quite well. No offense to Vescovi and JJJ and even Aidoo, but man, the amount of no shows from that bunch frustrated the beegeebers outta me. I was so ready for those guys to move on and some new blood to hit campus. Wish 'em well, but we needed to flip this roster.
This is my thought. The reason we needed a Knecht to get us there is that we had guys before who we depended on to score who had WAY too many no-shows. JJJ was the primary example. He went nuts in Rupp and had other games like that, but was often a non-factor on offense. Vescovi disappeared less frequently in years past than he did this year, but going back to the 22 NCAAT loss to Michigan, he, JJJ, and ORN were all no shows. Aidoo was a no show in this postseason.

Knecht gave us a dude we could depend on night in and night out. But if we get the guys we think we’re gonna get, and Lanier, Igor, Dubar, etc. can be consistent offensive threats we can count on, they don’t have to be as good as Knecht. Because a team can’t focus its defense on one player. I really like how this team is shaping up.

This is my thought. The reason we needed a Knecht to get us there is that we had guys before who we depended on to score who had WAY too many no-shows. JJJ was the primary example. He went nuts in Rupp and had other games like that, but was often a non-factor on offense. Vescovi disappeared less frequently in years past than he did this year, but going back to the 22 NCAAT loss to Michigan, he, JJJ, and ORN were all no shows. Aidoo was a no show in this postseason.

Knecht gave us a dude we could depend on night in and night out. But if we get the guys we think we’re gonna get, and Lanier, Igor, Dubar, etc. can be consistent offensive threats we can count on, they don’t have to be as good as Knecht. Because a team can’t focus its defense on one player. I really like how this team is shaping up.
I wasn't going to mention it, but both ON and Plavi were notorious for no shows. Vescovi, JJJ and Aidoo all carried on that tradition. Now we get leadership from guys like ZZ and Mashack. Add in a guy like Okpara who's reported to be a real competitor and defender, and I like the vibes. Not sure about Igor, but both Lanier and Tyson are alpha types on the floor and productive. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited at the prospect of a more aggressive roster with way more competitiveness night in and night out. I dont expect them to be "on" every night. Games where you can't get shots to fall will always come, but the effort is always under the players control. Those 3 players did not bring that "A effort" every night. Wish 'em well, but I'm glad their time in Knoxville is finally over.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
This team should be more balanced, though. UConn didn’t have a Knecht. But they had very good players at every position.

I would prefer a more balanced team for sure. Knecht was great to watch but he did carry the team most of the time. If we had just one other real threat to score we would have beaten Purdue. I’m just doubtful that we can exceed last years Elite 8 by building a roster mostly from the portal.

I wasn't going to mention it, but both ON and Plavi were notorious for no shows. Vescovi, JJJ and Aidoo all carried on that tradition. Now we get leadership from guys like ZZ and Mashack. Add in a guy like Okpara who's reported to be a real competitor and defender, and I like the vibes. Not sure about Igor, but both Lanier and Tyson are alpha types on the floor and productive. Nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited at the prospect of a more aggressive roster with way more competitiveness night in and night out. I dont expect them to be "on" every night. Games where you can't get shots to fall will always come, but the effort is always under the players control. Those 3 players did not bring that "A effort" every night. Wish 'em well, but I'm glad their time in Knoxville is finally over.
I agree. That's why I am still hoping that we get Tyson. I don't think you can have too many guys that can go get a basket when you really need one. Let them compete. CRB and staff will figure it our. We just need the guys that will get after it! The defense is going to be there! Barnes won't have it any other way. We just need those guys that can score to build the MO!

Hubbs is just the one who posts it, that most likely came from AP

Do we like Okpara and Villicic better than Toby and Aidoo or is it more of an even trade?
It's probably not even trade, but yet to be seen. Okpara brings rebounding and rim protection lost by Aidoo and Awaka. He'll provide a modest scoring pop under the basket but isn't a threat outside 3-4 feet, really. Milicic brings range and an ability to shoot from the 3-pt line and in, but isn't going to be a post scorer. On the whole, I'd call it a statistical wash, at best, until we see them play in this system.

Per 40 numbers...
Okpara 11.2 pts, 10.9 rebs, 4.0 blks
Milicic 15.9 pts, 10.5 rebs, 2.4 blks

Aidoo 18.4 pts, 11.8 rebs, 3.0 blks
Awaka 15.6 pts, 14.0 rebs, 1.9 blks

So, I'd call that taking a hit in the scoring department, a hit in the rebounding department, and a jump in rim protection, but that's without factoring in things like fit. We didn't play Aidoo and Awaka together very much where we should be able to play Okpara and Milicic together. Aidoo and Awaka would never reach those per 40 minute numbers because they were generally each other's subs. Okpara and Milicic can coexist more easily on the floor together, so they are more likely to approach those numbers.

I think we gain a little versatility with our new additions because they play two different positions where Aidoo and Awaka were more likely to split time at the 5.

I would prefer a more balanced team for sure. Knecht was great to watch but he did carry the team most of the time. If we had just one other real threat to score we would have beaten Purdue. I’m just doubtful that we can exceed last years Elite 8 by building a roster mostly from the portal.
I have no idea how this team will look or how it will come together. I do know my level of anticipation is much higher due to the guys who've left and the prospect of adding some of the talented names we've been linked to. Know that sounds like I'm hating o Vescovi, Aidoo, JJJ and Awaka, but I'm not. The roster, success aside, had gotten stale for me. I'm not wanting to adopt the UK role or even make a living in the portal, but this particular bunch of ON, Plavi, JJJ, Vescovi, and Aidoo had seemingly been at UT for 15 years to me.

Reactions: Jack Burton

VN Store

Back