2024 Transfer Portal Thread

That’s one way to read that. Another is to say he’s incredibly limited offensively. I’m not trying to neg Okpara, I’m just saying you can be happy about him without saying he’s better than Aidoo, because he’s simply not at this stage.
The thing is, when Jonas became "limited" offensively, i.e. he started playing within 7-9 feet of the basket, he suddenly became much more effective. When he was 15-footer Jonas, he struggled offensively.

Sophomore Okpara is better than Sophomore Jonas. Junior Jonas is better than Sophomore Okpara, offensively. Defensively they are likely a wash.

Admittedly, the visit may be a matter of convenience because his mom will already be in Knoxville for the Hall Of Fame ceremonies. But still, he's visiting and for your 12th or 13th scholarship, you can do a lot worse than a kid who won the A-Sun ROY award, led his team in scoring averaging 14.5 ppg, and shot 38% from 3 as a 6-9 SF.

He's not a great defender, but he played for a team that doesn't emphasize defense, either. Central Arkansas gave up 78.2 ppg and no one on that team had a positive defensive box +/- nor a defensive rating below 107. Just as an example, everyone except JP Estrella was at 100, or below, for Tennessee last year. With 3 years of eligibility plus a redshirt, he can be taught to be a better defender by a staff that emphasizes defense.

On the rebounding front, he only averaged 3.7 rpg, but our main 3s (SG/SF) only averaged 3.7 (Vescovi) and and 4.9 (Knecht). Again, you can teach a kid to be a better rebounder. And as his teams leading scorer, it isn't unreasonable for his rebounding to be down given he was the primary shooter/scorer and played on the perimeter. You can't just look at his height and say, oh he should aversge at least X number of rebounds. His position and offensive role matters. At Tennessee, he will be more free to crash the boards. The hope is that he'd add 20-25 lbs and be able to contribute more in that area with less offensive responsibility, added strength, and better coaching.
Agree to disagree. Unless College Basketball Scouting YouTube page is wrong. All he can do Is shoot. 26% shooting off the dribble which is in the 8th percentile nationally, and only 20% of his fga attempt come around the rim. So he’s really a one trick poney. You can’t just be relegated to only spot up shooting at the guard position and also be that weak in every other area of the game and play for Barnes in the SEC. What else does he does he do at a competent level other than spot up shooting?

Sears has declared while retaining eligibility. He may or may not be back. Same for Nelson.

Ranking Bama 3rd right now seems weird.

He’s predicting for now that they both return since they are both listed on the projected roster. Unfortunately, that seems like a reasonable possibility. But, all of these early ranking predictions are silly in the portal era seeing as the entire team could change without notice.

Right but I’m saying the underlying numbers don’t really bare that out, the YouTube video certainly does, but the numbers don’t. I haven’t watched Aidoo’s transfer portal sizzle reel but I imagine it shows him throwing down a bunch of dunks and lobs too, but we watched him twice a week for the last 3 years and know that’s not always reflective of the reality of his game.

Okpara was 47-53 from dunks last year and 87-116 “at the rim” so while he’s still an accomplished close range finisher he’s also not “dunking everything”
Do the numbers factor in development Okpara being a junior (2years left) and Aidoo (1 year left) being a senior, because nobody is arguing with you on numbers…like the jump Aidoo made from sophomore year to junior year..are those factored in? No, again nobody is debating the numbers on who is better between the two in their respective careers at this point. However you have to factor that which you don’t…

Aidoo is better than Okpara at this stage. Aidoo does not want to be here and Okpara does. Awaka does not appear to want to be here either. I think Okpara is more a combination of Aidoo and Awaka. I am very glad to have Okpara on our team. I am hoping that Igor commits also. I think Okpara fits well as a true 5 and Igor fits well as a true 4. Aidoo & Awaka are more tweener at the 4 & 5.

Aidoo was 47-56 from dunks last season, Okpara was 47-53. Y’all gotta stop trying to rewrite history just because he left.
I mean, if you added in Aidoo’s missed dunks due to being blocked at the rim I think that number would be significantly higher.

Seems like he attempted a poster once a game and I can’t think of the top of my head if he actually pulled any off. Those were wasted possessions.

The thing is, when Jonas became "limited" offensively, i.e. he started playing within 7-9 feet of the basket, he suddenly became much more effective. When he was 15-footer Jonas, he struggled offensively.

Sophomore Okpara is better than Sophomore Jonas. Junior Jonas is better than Sophomore Okpara, offensively. Defensively they are likely a wash.
When I said limited I meant that from what I could tell Okpara’s offense consists primarily of catching and finishing at the rim, whereas Aidoo had developed a (admittedly inconsistent) midrange game in addition to the baby hook. Maybe Okpara gets there too, but it’s not certain.

I mean, if you added in Aidoo’s missed dunks due to being blocked at the rim I think that number would be significantly higher.

Seems like he attempted a poster once a game and I can’t think of the top of my head if he actually pulled any off. Those were wasted possessions.
Blocked shots count as missed shots

Agree to disagree. Unless College Basketball Scouting YouTube page is wrong. All he can do Is shoot. 26% shooting off the dribble which is in the 8th percentile nationally, and only 20% of his fga attempt come around the rim. So he’s really a one trick poney. You can’t just be relegated to only spot up shooting at the guard position and also be that weak in every other area of the game and play for Barnes in the SEC. What else does he does he do at a competent level other than spot up shooting?
He’s a 6’9” freshman who led his team in scoring. He can put on weight and he can develop other parts of his game. I don’t know why you’re acting like he’s useless and the fact that he’s a great shooter means nothing lol.

Yeah. I thought 23 felt a bit low as well. But I guess he sees Okpara as a downgrade from Aidoo and Milicic as maybe a lateral move from JJJ. Then you lose DK. And we have a bunch of question marks on the bench that us fans expect to be good, but I can see why an outsider may not.

I think if we land Lanier we’ll be top 15 almost everywhere, but right now there are definitely a lot of question marks on how good this team can be that I think makes sense to me why he might not be too high on us yet.
Barttorvik has us at #17 entering today.

#10 with addition of Okpara

#5 with addition of Okpara & Milicic

#5 with addition of Okpara, Milicic & Lanier

#4 with addition of Okpara, Milicic, Lanier & Tyson

Barttorvik has us at #17 entering today.

#10 with addition of Okpara

#5 with addition of Okpara & Milicic

#5 with addition of Okpara, Milicic & Lanier

#4 with addition of Okpara, Milicic, Lanier & Tyson
Any truth to what Basilio is saying about the do not contact tag with Lanier? He’s saying he doesn’t have one now. Every reputable reporter has said he does. I for one don’t trust Tony Basilio.

That’s one way to read that. Another is to say he’s incredibly limited offensively. I’m not trying to neg Okpara, I’m just saying you can be happy about him without saying he’s better than Aidoo, because he’s simply not at this stage.
What about at the same stage of both guys careers?

I’m so damn tired of seeing these advanced statistics.

Just tell me you don’t watch basketball. Remember kids, advanced statistics are a good way of judging trends, but are meaningless when it comes to predicting how a player will play on a different team, with different schemes, etc.

Here’s what ya need to do, it’s called the eye test, it’s called how did they do against the toughest competition

Reactions: oldaaucoach
Any truth to what Basilio is saying about the do not contact tag with Lanier? He’s saying he doesn’t have one now. Every reputable reporter has said he does. I for one don’t trust Tony Basilio.
I’m not sure how only TB would know it if it were true that he entered with no DNC. TB broadcasts a lot of takes that turn out to be wrong. He’s still waiting for Lovie Smith’s plane to land at TYS

I’m so damn tired of seeing these advanced statistics.

Just tell me you don’t watch basketball. Remember kids, advanced statistics are a good way of judging trends, but are meaningless when it comes to predicting how a player will play on a different team, with different schemes, etc.

Here’s what ya need to do, it’s called the eye test
I am happy to admit I watched zero minutes of Ohio State basketball this year. Don’t have any plans to next year, either. I also wouldn’t consider “field goal percentage at the rim” an advanced statistic, but go off king

Anderson (or anyone taking what might be the 12th or 13th spot) also wouldn't play meaningful minutes this year unless he comes in looking like Knecht. Projection for 2025 and 2026 is all that matters, and if he doesn't seem to be on track, I would guess he transfers back down and no harm, no foul.

It's a no lose to me. It wouldn't make sense to me for us to allocate NIL resources beyond an 8 or 9 man rotation. Any starter-level pieces we add beyond Igor and Lanier also seem likely to push someone out that is already here, so it's not like we can stockpile.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but his is one I just don't agree with in this case.
Agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but St. Pete gives off a little of that "I'm always the smartest guy in the room" vibe with comments on players/prospects. My guess is Barnes and company wouldn't have interest in the kid unless they thought he could potentially contribute to the program at some point. But what does Rick know, he's only won *800+ games.

Apparently Basilio also just said “he just got off the phone and feels great about Tennessee landing Lanier”, so…

Weird that he would rank us barely in the top 25 with Igor, Felix, and Dubar all accounted for

I understand it takes time for a team to gel but hard for that to not to look like a top 15 team
The one thing to remember about any "preseason top 25" list is that by the second month of the season the actual Top 25 AP/Coaches' polls will look vastly different.

Fair enough, I guess my point is trying to frame the Okpara commitment as an upgrade on Aidoo doesn’t do him any favors in terms of expectations. If he can rebound and protect the rim and finish some lobs I’ll be happy.
Aidoo only averaged 5.1 PPG, 4.9 RPG on 50% FG percentage as a sophomore before having a breakout Junior year.

Okpara averaged 6.6 PPG, 6 RPG on 58% FG percentage as a sophomore.

Okpara could make the same strides as Aidoo going into his Junior year at TN, especially if we can utilize him inside. Given the offensive firepower CRB is planning to bring in, I doubt he’ll put up the same offensive numbers as Aidoo this season but will be able to protect the rim, rebound and give us additional possessions.

VN Store

Back