2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Basilio is saying that Maryland is involved with Lanier now.

"Attention now turns to Chaz Lanier from North Florida who will be a top 5 player in the portal when he goes in. Not sure on the timeline of his entry. He just doesn't figure to be an NBA high level prospect in this draft. Knecht went through the NBA process last year and the season at Tennessee catapulted him into perhaps lottery consideration. He will be the starting 2 guard here if/when it happens. I say if because this is 2024 and this is the portal. And Maryland is now in the sweepstakes. They have a connection with Jakobi Gillespie of Belmont who transferred to the Terps, and they played with each other on the high-level in-state circuit. Small world. It should be pointed out that both Josh and Jordan Bone have been advocates for Rick Barnes and Tennessee on this one. Lanier is a wonderful offensive player."

UNC fans think RJ announcing he is coming back today (like an official announcement), then Cade will commit on Thursday to them.

Let everyone have “their day”

Guess we will see
They also thought he was committing to them on Friday, then Saturday, then Sunday and then definitely Monday. Not saying it won’t happen but I wouldn’t put much stock into what they say, with that said I do think he’ll announce something soon.

Fwiw they also think they’re getting Thiero.

Basilio is saying that Maryland is involved with Lanier now.

"Attention now turns to Chaz Lanier from North Florida who will be a top 5 player in the portal when he goes in. Not sure on the timeline of his entry. He just doesn't figure to be an NBA high level prospect in this draft. Knecht went through the NBA process last year and the season at Tennessee catapulted him into perhaps lottery consideration. He will be the starting 2 guard here if/when it happens. I say if because this is 2024 and this is the portal. And Maryland is now in the sweepstakes. They have a connection with Jakobi Gillespie of Belmont who transferred to the Terps, and they played with each other on the high-level in-state circuit. Small world. It should be pointed out that both Josh and Jordan Bone have been advocates for Rick Barnes and Tennessee on this one. Lanier is a wonderful offensive player."
They’ve been trying ever since they got Gillespie, I think he wants to play closer to home and Maryland has a pretty crowded backcourt.

All looking for minutes at 1-3…

Jahari Long/Chance Stephens
Rodney Rice/Ja’Kobi Gillespie
Selton Miguel/Malachi Palmer/Jordan Geronimo
Tafara Gapare/Deshawn Harris-Smith

They’ve been trying ever since they got Gillespie, I think he wants to play closer to home and Maryland has a pretty crowded backcourt.

All looking for minutes at 1-3…

Jahari Long/Chance Stephens
Rodney Rice/Ja’Kobi Gillespie
Selton Miguel/Malachi Palmer/Jordan Geronimo
Tafara Gapare/Deshawn Harris-Smith
That does make a lot of sense. Just makes me nervous. Feel like he's the more important piece on the board.

I think y’all with the lineups are forgetting Carr, who I think is going to have a lot to say about the rotation next year.
If we get all these guys we’ve been talking about, it’ll be hard for Carr to see minutes over 6 seniors, 4 of which can play the 2-3 spots (Gainey, Lanier, Shack, and technically Igor could play the 3), if you add in Tyson that’s potentially 5.

Love Carr and hope he sees minutes, but it’ll be tough, jmo. Now, if you miss on Cade, that changes things a little.

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
IF everyone we think/hope we get does in fact come here then the only player I think you really can pencil in as a starter is Felix.

Dubar, Tyson, Igor, and even Lanier are all taking a step up in competition and will have to earn minutes. Not saying none of them can't or won't start, just saying they'll have to win their jobs. Unless JP makes major leaps I think Felix having already played in the Big 10 for 2 seasons will be ready to start from day 1.

Don’t think he leaves, just be hard to see consistent minutes imo unless we miss on someone
All I'm saying is Shack and Gainey showed they are inconsistent on offense especially Shack. Dude plays elite defense but can't produce any offense. If Carr keeps developing and getting better he will get opportunities. Barnes still likes to play small ball if the opportunity presents itself. Also, Gainey and Shack COMBINED averaged 10 points a game. Need better offense there

But they all played. None redshirted . DJ transferred out because he didn’t even play. He probably would’ve stayed if he got playing time.
If Boswell is redshirted then he will transfer. No reason NOT to give him minutes at the 1-2.
DJ redshirted his freshman year.

The others didn’t play significant minutes, other than JP, who had to play when Aidoo melted down. No one is suggesting that BB won’t play at all. Just that he won’t be a part of the regular rotation for significant minutes…like Carr, JP, and Phillips this year.

Reactions: Namorto1
IF everyone we think/hope we get does in fact come here then the only player I think you really can pencil in as a starter is Felix.

Dubar, Tyson, Igor, and even Lanier are all taking a step up in competition and will have to earn minutes. Not saying none of them can't or won't start, just saying they'll have to win their jobs. Unless JP makes major leaps I think Felix having already played in the Big 10 for 2 seasons will be ready to start from day 1.
Uh....Estrella?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Uh....Estrella?

Exactly. I would pencil Lanier in as a starter before Okpara. In fact, if we get the transfers we’re hoping, Okpara might be the least likely to start. Igor and Lanier would be most likely, IMO.

JP played 124 minutes total in 25 appearances and finished with 20 total rebounds, 3 blocks, and 40 points.

Gainey and Mashack, the 2 you're benching to start Lanier both played over 640 minutes on the season while each eclipsing 160 total points, 40 total assists and 30 steals or more.

ZZ, Gainey, Mashack are the most seasoned and experienced players returning... and Dubar, Tyson, and even Igor are all candidates to play the 3/4 more than any other spot...Lanier will have to beat out Mashack AND Gainey to start at the 2...and that's not even mentioning Carr or Bishop.

JP played 124 minutes total in 25 appearances and finished with 20 total rebounds, 3 blocks, and 40 points.

Gainey and Mashack, the 2 you're benching to start Lanier both played over 640 minutes on the season while each eclipsing 160 total points, 40 total assists and 30 steals or more.

ZZ, Gainey, Mashack are the most seasoned and experienced players returning... and Dubar, Tyson, and even Igor are all candidates to play the 3/4 more than any other spot...Lanier will have to beat out Mashack AND Gainey to start at the 2...and that's not even mentioning Carr or Bishop.
Well the fact that Shack and Gainey both averaged under 5 points a game I don't think anything is set and stone with those guys. Clearly we need better scorers

Sorry if one of y'all already posted this info, but just heard Ben McKee on Swain's show say we're hosting Tucker Anderson on an unofficial this week/weekend

Yes and no... he's in town with his mother (former Pat Summitt player) for the 25th Women's Hall of Fame Induction ceremony on the 27th.

I believe Tucker is coming in with his mother for the appearance and that'll be rolled into an unofficial visit.

Sounds like Carolina expecting Kalkbrenner from Creighton to enter the portal and will be a priority. Doesn’t impact Tyson directly but not going to be a ton of shots to go around.

VN Store

Back