2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Makes one ask why professional athletes agree to contracts for more than one year since the professional teams need the best players to be successful, same as college teams?
Well, it depends on the professional league.

MLB has fully guaranteed contracts. That would incentivize signing a long-term deal in many cases. Anthony Rendon comes to mind as someone who is stealing money given he's played in about 10% of the available games while being paid 100% of his contract thru its duration. Ronald Acuña on the other hand is getting hosed by signing a long-term, 10-yr deal that pays him a fraction of his market value.

Many NFL players bet on themselves by signing 1-yr deals to set up their next long-term deal.

NBA secondary contracts are set up so that players are incentivized to resign long-term deals with their current teams for 30-35% over the maximum.

That's just getting started.

Makes one ask why professional athletes agree to contracts for more than one year since the professional teams need the best players to be successful, same as college teams?
One big difference is that pro contracts go to the end of the career, so you have players looking to extend their second contract to give them maximum value on year 5, when there's greater uncertainty about their performance. College athletes might look for longer contracts, though, given that there are busts at every level. There might not be contracts in college basketball without a college basketball players' union, though, because otherwise colleges have to compete against a wider market (other professional leagues) for players.

I see your point, but if Boswell doesn't play next year he'll be in the portal after the season. Just how it works. We recruited the kid gotta give him a chance. We know ZZ can go 40 minutes a game if he has to.
Estrella, Carr & Phillips are all still here after not playing much at all freshman year, DJ returned for his 2nd year after not playing as a freshman also.

Estrella, Carr & Phillips are all still here after not playing much at all freshman year, DJ returned for his 2nd year after not playing as a freshman also.
But they all played. None redshirted . DJ transferred out because he didn’t even play. He probably would’ve stayed if he got playing time.
If Boswell is redshirted then he will transfer. No reason NOT to give him minutes at the 1-2.

But they all played. None redshirted . DJ transferred out because he didn’t even play. He probably would’ve stayed if he got playing time.
If Boswell is redshirted then he will transfer. No reason NOT to give him minutes at the 1-2.
DJ did stay after his redshirt year, so you’re wrong on that. And sure, give him 60-70 minutes total over 13 games like Carr & Phillips got and burn his redshirt, I’m sure if you asked those guys they’d probably prefer to have that extra year of eligibility in the pocket.

False. DJ would have played this past year. But he could not get out of the doghouse. Thus, he hit the portal so he could start fresh.
On Boswell. You are making it up in your head. No way to know what he will or won't do.
False again! Minutes are earned, not given.

Getting extremely excited about the lineup combos we can play next year with:

ZZ
Lanier/Gainey
Mashack/Carr
Igor/Dubar
Estrella/Okpara
Expect you are correct based on all the rumors. Throw in Boswell, Phillips, T. Anderson, and Mabor and that could round out next year's team.

Reactions: b_gann
DJ did stay after his redshirt year, so you’re wrong on that. And sure, give him 60-70 minutes total over 13 games like Carr & Phillips got and burn his redshirt, I’m sure if you asked those guys they’d probably prefer to have that extra year of eligibility in the pocket.
DJ transferred out because he didn’t play. Regardless of the redshirt. I think he would’ve transferred earlier if he knew he wouldn’t get playing time. These kids want minutes and when they know minutes will be there for them then they’ll stick around. For JP, Phillips and Carr they already know they’ll get minutes based on roster class. I think to at least encourage a player to stay in the program you have to let them play minutes. There’s no incentive for a player to stick around a program that doesn’t play them IF the player knows he could get playing time elsewhere. If Boswell wasn’t a highly recruited player then you can take the chance of a redshirt.

UNC fans think RJ announcing he is coming back today (like an official announcement), then Cade will commit on Thursday to them.

Let everyone have “their day”

Guess we will see

DJ transferred out because he didn’t play. Regardless of the redshirt. I think he would’ve transferred earlier if he knew he wouldn’t get playing time. These kids want minutes and when they know minutes will be there for them then they’ll stick around. For JP, Phillips and Carr they already know they’ll get minutes based on roster class. I think to at least encourage a player to stay in the program you have to let them play minutes. There’s no incentive for a player to stick around a program that doesn’t play them IF the player knows he could get playing time elsewhere. If Boswell wasn’t a highly recruited player then you can take the chance of a redshirt.
Agree. Players play because they love the game. They have a dream and the only way to make their dream come true is to get on the court.

DJ did play. He played in those international games and played against Tennessee Tech early in the season. Then got in trouble, again. If you don’t toe the line you’re not going to play, apparently. He knew the rules. Same with DJ Burns.

I could very well see legislation where you can sign a maximum of a 2 year NIL deal with stipulations that you can leave early if there is a head coaching change or for the draft, and that the deal carries an additional 2 year option to be agreed upon by the player and school
Will be interesting to see what develops but I doubt it given NIL is governed by each state and covers much more than just college athletics.

The ability to transfer every year empowers their ability to negotiate on deals. It helps them reach fair market value.

I think ultimately, contracts are the next logical solution.
Exactly...everyone seems to keep forgetting this all came about due to unfair and monopolistic labor practices. And I don't see how state legislatures can carve out college athletes and make special rules which apply only to them and hinder their ability to operate in a free market - I would have to believe the SCOTUS of each state would quickly strike any such laws down as being unconstitutional.

DJ transferred out because he didn’t play. Regardless of the redshirt. I think he would’ve transferred earlier if he knew he wouldn’t get playing time.
You’re arguing against your original point lol…you said Boswell won’t redshirt and return next year because kids don’t do that, but then admit that DJ did exactly that because he thought he’d play that next year.

VN Store

Back