2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Koby Brea would be a good guy to go after if you can’t get Tyson. Dude was 100/201 from 3 this past season. Hes 6’6” over 200 pounds and he’s probably as athletic as Tyson. I would be interested to see if we go after him if we miss out on Tyson.
I wonder why the staff didn’t really take a look at Ballo?

I wonder why the staff didn’t really take a look at Ballo?
The middle finger he gave us wouldn't keep me from wanting him here, but I wouldn't be shocked if that is part of the reason. I think that's a turn off for Barnes. Maybe I am wrong, but he's big on culture fit, and maybe that is somewhat related.

Not related to us at all, but it is hilarious to watch Kentucky fans on Twitter literally spamming underneath every player transfer portal news saying “He’s a cat!” 😂
Those guys went from "can we do what Tennessee did with Schiano?" to "we've got the right guy" and "we are back" in the span of 48 hours. I kinda went through the same process with Dooley if I am honest. I was irate and refused to believe he was the hire when first reported. I even was convinced it was an elaborate smokescreen. I went to acceptance during the press conference. 2 days later I was telling people he will win an SEC title within 3 years. It's what we do.

Screams desperation. Tyson wanted to cancel his visit it seems like, so does this mean he was close to just choosing Tennessee? I’m not sure but it is irritating knowing we had all the momentum and then Davis just goes and eats dinner with him. Will it really make that much of a difference?
Not many head coaches would do that. Gotta respect his drive. Hate to see Cade and Aidoo at UNC together. Hopefully we’ll keep him on track.

Reactions: berryvol
Not many head coaches would do that. Gotta respect his drive. Hate to see Cade and Aidoo at UNC together. Hopefully we’ll keep him on track.
If we really want him then we honestly have to try just as hard as Hubert Davis has. You hear about that visit then you gotta call and talk to him. You gotta try just as hard and let him know that you want him even more than Hubert Davis does.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Insanity. Leaving the best offense in America and one that caters to his style of play

Wouldn't start. Bama attempting to build up a team with portal and incoming freshman class. Nelson is probably gone, but if they can get Sears back could be a premier SEC team next year. So he wouldn't be starting and it's hard to keep good players especially players that can shoot at that size on the bench in this era of college basketball

Reactions: Vol 85
good call
Notice the word currently. That means when he said it, which was yesterday. At that point, he did not have one. He would've been in the boat if he did. Notice how he cancelled other visit plans he made coming out of the weekend and committed all of a sudden today after several media people and people with reputations said things changed. It's really not that hard to understand

Reactions: Imvolin423
Koby Brea would be a good guy to go after if you can’t get Tyson. Dude was 100/201 from 3 this past season. Hes 6’6” over 200 pounds and he’s probably as athletic as Tyson. I would be interested to see if we go after him if we miss out on Tyson.
Does anybody have level of staff involvement and contacts with Brae?

UNC seems confident on Cade.

Would suck

At this point, if we can’t Cade, I’d go all out for a incoming freshman (Scott or the Cali kid)
Roll with Mashack and Carr at the 3.

Not a huge fan of Brea since he only has one year left.

Last edited:
With 5 openings remaining I’ll give you my dream finish, in no way is it a prediction or inference, just using names Tennessee has been linked to in a serious degree. For starters Awaka returns, I think that would be big and I also think any big time post in the portal will cost big time money, taking away funds from others potentially, so bring him back and that’s 4 spots. Land Lanier, Tyson, Anderson & Milicic and let’s ride, would give you something like this.

Zeigler/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Dubar/Milicic/Cade/Anderson
Awaka/Estrella

Eligibility list:
Seniors: Zeigler, Lanier, Dubar, Milicic, Gainey, Mashack

Juniors: Awaka, Tyson

Sophomores: Carr, Cade, Anderson, Estrella

Freshman: Boswell

Would on paper set you up nicely for 2025-2026 season, the sophomores buried this year would have a clear path to starting jobs and major roles as juniors.

There ya have it folks, next years team🤣

Man, I just don’t want Awaka. Not sold on Tucker Anderson, his stats against major D1 schools, is meh. Not sure how that will work out with Cade and JP both being Freshmen as well.

The rest is beautiful though lol

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Man, I just don’t want Awaka. Not sold on Tucker Anderson, his stats against major D1 schools, is meh. Not sure how that will work out with Cade and JP both being Freshmen as well.

If given the choice between Anderson and a HS project big, I take Anderson and don’t think twice.

Those guys went from "can we do what Tennessee did with Schiano?" to "we've got the right guy" and "we are back" in the span of 48 hours. I kinda went through the same process with Dooley if I am honest. I was irate and refused to believe he was the hire when first reported. I even was convinced it was an elaborate smokescreen. I went to acceptance during the press conference. 2 days later I was telling people he will win an SEC title within 3 years. It's what we do.

Funny, but Dooley was the one post-Fulmer hire I was most convinced was a desperation hire that would fail. I loved the Kiffin hire, and saw Dooley as a 'safe' hire of a middling coach who would avoid infractions, but was hoping it wouldn't be more than three seasons before he got the gait. But I did go through the process you described with Jones. With Pruitt is was just praying it wouldn't be a disaster.

Funny, but Dooley was the one post-Fulmer hire I was most convinced was a desperation hire that would fail. I loved the Kiffin hire, and saw Dooley as a 'safe' hire of a middling coach who would avoid infractions, but was hoping it wouldn't be more than three seasons before he got the gait. But I did go through the process you described with Jones. With Pruitt is was just praying it wouldn't be a disaster.
I felt the same about Dooley, just talked myself into believing. I was mad about Butch as well but not the way I was about Dooley. I really thought it was a sick joke.

Flat out not wanting Awaka seems a bit foolish, I get you want Clifford or Ballo but I just don’t know how plausible that is. As for Anderson, he’s a guy that I think would be ok not playing much for a year, gonna be hard to fill out a roster with all guys wanting to play immediately. Also has 3 years of eligibility so it helps you build some depth and stack some classes.

Flat out not wanting Awaka seems a bit foolish, I get you want Clifford or Ballo but I just don’t know how plausible that is. As for Anderson, he’s a guy that I think would be ok not playing much for a year, gonna be hard to fill out a roster with all guys wanting to play immediately. Also has 3 years of eligibility so it helps you build some depth and stack some classes.

I’m over Ballo, that was a marriage like McCollum last year.

I just can’t wrap my head around Awaka. Why? I couldn’t honestly tell you.

With Tucker, it’s not as much he’s talent like I complained about as much as it is we have Cade on the team, who in my opinion from film plays a lot like him. I just feel like that may cause an issue, maybe not now but later, playing time wise. If he was an incoming freshman my stance would be different since he would be a year behind those guys.

I’m over Ballo, that was a marriage like McCollum last year.

I just can’t wrap my head around Awaka. Why? I couldn’t honestly tell you.

With Tucker, it’s not as much he’s talent like I complained about as much as it is we have Cade on the team, who in my opinion from film plays a lot like him. I just feel like that may cause an issue, maybe not now but later, playing time wise. If he was an incoming freshman my stance would be different since he would be a year behind those guys.
Are you watching the right Tucker Anderson? He takes more 3’s than 2’s and is a perimeter orientated tall guard, that’s nothing like Cade.

With 5 openings remaining I’ll give you my dream finish, in no way is it a prediction or inference, just using names Tennessee has been linked to in a serious degree. For starters Awaka returns, I think that would be big and I also think any big time post in the portal will cost big time money, taking away funds from others potentially, so bring him back and that’s 4 spots. Land Lanier, Tyson, Anderson & Milicic and let’s ride, would give you something like this.

Zeigler/Boswell
Lanier/Gainey
Tyson/Mashack/Carr
Dubar/Milicic/Cade/Anderson
Awaka/Estrella

Eligibility list:
Seniors: Zeigler, Lanier, Dubar, Milicic, Gainey, Mashack

Juniors: Awaka, Tyson

Sophomores: Carr, Cade, Anderson, Estrella

Freshman: Boswell

Would on paper set you up nicely for 2025-2026 season, the sophomores buried this year would have a clear path to starting jobs and major roles as juniors.
Gotta say that Lanier, Tyson, Dubar and Milicic would be an absolute dream portal haul. One concern is Boswell as ZZ's backup. Is this reality? Does the staff freally see him as ready for that role or are they going to play ZZ 38 min a game? Or are they going to spell ZZ with Lanier when needed?

Gotta say that Lanier, Tyson, Dubar and Milicic would be an absolute dream portal haul. One concern is Boswell as ZZ's backup. Is this reality? Does the staff freally see him as ready for that role or are they going to play ZZ 38 min a game? Or are they going to spell ZZ with Lanier when needed?
I think Lanier or Gainey would be the backup, I just listed it that way for visualization

Reactions: ColinS
Are you watching the right Tucker Anderson? He takes more 3’s than 2’s and is a perimeter orientated tall guard, that’s nothing like Cade.
💯Yeah Cade Phillips is deff not a shooter & that Tucker kid is. Igor Milicic Jr is a major want here. Chaz Lanier as well. Then Tobe Awaka returning would be a dream come true... If Awaka returns i would like to see the other two positions be filled with young filler talent like:

I could see us maybe getting a surprise late summer circuit guy for development at end of bench plus the developmental big Gabriel Mabor for end of bench as well. That would keep guys like Cam Carr & JP Estrella in a good rotation all year as you know we only go 8-9 deep for regular rotations and I'd like to see both of them get like 13-17 min each, both could be really good two way players. Carr ending up as a Mikal Bridges type of guy from Villanova measuring pretty much the same and similar skill sets and abilities. Then JP Estrella told me in our interview that he gets compared most to Kristaps Porzingis - if we can see him be unleashed yo operate more in his offensive bag we will see a star slowly being born... Would hate to clutter the roster pushing them two back even further honestly. I know j left out Cade Phillips and he's not a shooter like Awaka, so i think he would be a closer to end of bench guy with Bishop Boswell at 10 n 11 (and two developmentals at 12 n 13)

I think Lanier or Gainey would be the backup, I just listed it that way for visualization
Understood. Is it out of the realm of possibility that we make a move with Mack instead of taking a project like Anderson? I'm trying to figure out what we do next season with ZZ gone. Another portal guy or are we going to hang our hat on Boswell to step in? Isn't he 6'4"?

VN Store

Back