2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Def think Trilly gets intel but he's not logging a prediction either. There were times we've lead on recruits that we ended up losing and vice versa. Wiltfong does that a lot but he typically doesn't log a prediction until he knows for certain. I'm in the camp of thinking we get Chaz because there are just more factors that favor us.
For the record, he does officially log his predictions in the discord. But he has said many times in the last week that it’s 50/50 in the Chaz recruitment and he has yet to log an official prediction yet and doesn’t seem close to it. Certainly nothing to freak out about or call over.

For the record, he does officially log his predictions in the discord. But he has said many times in the last week that it’s 50/50 in the Chaz recruitment and he has yet to log an official prediction yet and doesn’t seem close to it. Certainly nothing to freak out about or call over.

Yep. And the reality is that this one was never going to be a walk in the park, not after Lanier tried to go the NBA route. Gave a lot of suitors time to get in his ear. It’ll be a battle to the finish line. No reason to believe we’re over and done with.

Just will come down to, in my opinion, how much Barnes is willing to pay. Culture and chemistry are important to Barnes. If Lanier is demanding 7 figures, is Rick willing to give Spyre the go ahead to offer this guy 7 figures? Either way, I’ll trust his judgment.

The team that wants him the most will pay him the most and he should take it.

This might be the only big money deal the young man is ever offered.

UT aint poor.

Dont let them fool you.

UT aint poor.

Dont let them fool you.

Ahhh....autumn leaves, marching bands, tailigating, the ivy-covered walls of academic buildings---and who could forget all those spirited bribery contests among crazy schools to get a guy to play football or basketball for a season. I miss those college days....

If only we could go back to 1920 when players weren't paid to play...lol.
😂

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92

UT aint poor.

Dont let them fool you.
If the staff/collective have established a value they need to heed the booming voice in Neyland.”Please pay these prices and PAY NO MORE.”

No need to enter a Macho spending contest.

😂
Good stuff which reinforces my point...players have been paid for a long time...difference is now, we get to see it out in the open and all the clutching of pearls over money corrupting the sanctity of the game is laughable and naive.

Issue is that if you pay Lanier more, you have to give others on team raise. Could become a team chemistry issue. Its not about the money. Its about feeling valued. When you pay someone more, the lower paid do not feel as valued.
Who on the team had similar stats last season. Lanier scored 19 a game and was close to 50/40/90.

Reactions: volfan__18
Good stuff which reinforces my point...players have been paid for a long time...difference is now, we get to see it out in the open and all the clutching of pearls over money corrupting the sanctity of the game is laughable and naive.
And it was selectively enforced. So some programs could pay with impunity while others were punished for lying about cookouts.

Who on the team had similar stats last season. Lanier scored 19 a game and was close to 50/40/90.
I don't think you can use their previous stats to make your point, though. Lanier did it at North Florida. The counterargument would be that he played the worst competition of anyone on the the current team. Dubar shot 54/40/73 while averaging 18/7 in a better conference.

It's still a supply and demand game. The players in higher demand are going to get the most money. And that is why Lanier will make more.

I don't think you can use their previous stats to make your point, though. Lanier did it at North Florida. The counterargument would be that he played the worst competition of anyone on the the current team. Dubar shot 54/40/73 while averaging 18/7 in a better conference.

It's still a supply and demand game. The players in higher demand are going to get the most money. And that is why Lanier will make more.

Bingo. Lanier being in the portal so late, being ranked so high, and playing a position of need to us and others is why his value is higher than most on the team already.

For whatever reason we landed 3 really good portal players already, none of them seemed to be as high valued as Lanier though.

In the end we can evaluate the winner’s ROI with some certainty, and can wildly speculate about what he could have done here or elsewhere. Then some will fill up social media bandwidth while making up analysis about whether he made a good decision when combining his NIL and his draft value, before and after he completes his college experience. Oh the JOY!

Bingo. Lanier being in the portal so late, being ranked so high, and playing a position of need to us and others is why his value is higher than most on the team already.

For whatever reason we landed 3 really good portal players already, none of them seemed to be as high valued as Lanier though.
Not countering the comments here. Lanier will be priced high. We have adjusted other NIL deals in that past to make things equitable. This one is going to be a balancing act due the market this year, and the scarcity of quality currently. UK will probably offer more than we will, but I do genuinely believe Lanier and his family trust Barnes and his ability to make him more money in the long term. Their first outreach to us was December. That’s what I like most. He won’t be visiting to get an offer. Those things have been planned for a long time. I think his visit will reinforce what he already knows, that this is the right place. I also believe UK is going to push a pile his way. I just think the time invested/trust/belief is in our favor.

Not countering the comments here. Lanier will be priced high. We have adjusted other NIL deals in that past to make things equitable. This one is going to be a balancing act due the market this year, and the scarcity of quality currently. UK will probably offer more than we will, but I do genuinely believe Lanier and his family trust Barnes and his ability to make him more money in the long term. Their first outreach to us was December. That’s what I like most. He won’t be visiting to get an offer. Those things have been planned for a long time. I think his visit will reinforce what he already knows, that this is the right place. I also believe UK is going to push a pile his way. I just think the time invested/trust/belief is in our favor.

If UK offers him more $ he will be in blue next year. Respectfully, the Barnes prepping him for the league stuff is total nonsense.

Issue is that if you pay Lanier more, you have to give others on team raise. Could become a team chemistry issue. Its not about the money. Its about feeling valued. When you pay someone more, the lower paid do not feel as valued.
It's simple. From the collective fund, give each player the same money (Example every player gets $250,000) and put them all in a pickup truck. Everybody's happy! They got a nice truck to ride their girl around in and they got money in their pocket. Then what ever deal they can get on their own NIL, that's up to them. Now get the championship chemistry going and let's go win a Natty! Let's GOOOO!!!!
*Every boy wants three things: Food, a nice ride, and a girlfriend. Now they can focus on winning basketball!!!

Last edited:
At North Florida. I’m not saying it’s true but I’m sure several players would be thinking “well I would have put up big numbers at that level too, where’s my money? Where’s the loyalty bonus?”

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back