2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Haha.. I’m just pointing out that all you guys drooling over getting all these big wings / stretch 4’s who can shoot are forgetting there’s two ends of the court Lol.. championship teams are great on both ends.

And fwiw, I LOVE Lanier’s game but his defensive metrics aren’t very good either. You got to put just as much emphasis on defense as offense when thinking about the rotation and different lineups.
Dalton Knecht had a -1.1 DBPM last year at Northern Colorado, this past year he had a 2.8. Jordan Gainey had a -1.0 last year at USC-Upstate and this year had a 3.7. Ratings for targets this year:

Felix Okpara 4.1
Igor Milicic 1.7
Darlinstone Dubar 0.8
Cade Tyson -0.2
Chaz Lanier -1.9

So all those guys are better defenders than Gainey & Knecht at their previous stops except for Lanier who was comparable to Knecht.

Dalton Knecht had a -1.1 DBPM last year at Northern Colorado, this past year he had a 2.8. Jordan Gainey had a -1.0 last year at USC-Upstate and this year had a 3.7. Ratings for targets this year:

Felix Okpara 4.1
Igor Milicic 1.7
Darlinstone Dubar 0.8
Cade Tyson -0.2
Chaz Lanier -1.9
Basically, team defensive systems and coaching matters a lot. Combined with legitimate effort to improve. I’m not worried about the defense in a RB era UT team.

It will be interesting to see where Lanier will be ranked in the portal player rankings. On3 hasn’t updated his entry yet, but I would think he would have to be somewhere near the top 10.

But does anybody think any player like Lanier locks in on one team in a market that can bring you 500k plus? He will bring several teams in to increase the bidding. Yeah we may be the favorite to land him but this will be a recruiting battle.
Wanna bet? Don’t you think he’d probably not have entered with a no contact tag if he was looking for a bidding war?

Basically, team defensive systems and coaching matters a lot. Combined with legitimate effort to improve. I’m not worried about the defense in a RB era UT team.
Bingo, and my overall point. Those guys come in with a better defensive standing than Knecht and Gainey, and we saw what those guys were able to turn into here.

Felix Okpara 4.1
Igor Milicic 1.7
Darlinstone Dubar 0.8
Cade Tyson -0.2
Chaz Lanier -1.9

So all those guys are better defenders than Gainey & Knecht at their previous stops except for Lanier who was comparable to Knecht.
Ok but again, Knecht is a far better athlete than most of those guys. Maybe Lanier will be good on that end under Barnes. Defensive metrics are not always reliable.

But, last year’s team was loaded with really good to elite defenders so Knecht’s defensive deficiencies were somewhat masked, which will prop of those defensive metrics.. Losing Vescovi and James will hurt on that end, not just for their defensive ability but for their voice and leadership on that end.. Can Estrella be good on that end? Dubar and Igor seem like wildcards. I don’t see it with Tyson.

You can’t just assume everything is going to be fine defensively just because we are coming off two consecutive elite years on that end. Next year is a much different looking team. Not even comparable to just adding Knecht and Gainey to an already elite unit.

Reactions: kregman
Wanna bet? Don’t you think he’d probably not have entered with a no contact tag if he was looking for a bidding war?
Why would he not want to see what NIL opportunities are out there if other schools are truly paying what has been stated on here? Per this board, it seems that every player that selects a school other than us has done so because of NIL. What makes us the exception for the players we get?

I think Dubar will play at least as good of defense as Vescovi, and will shoot better from 3 than what Vescovi gave us last year. Milicic may not be the defender James was, but he will rebound just as well, maybe better, and shoot better from outside than James.

Add in that Okpara may be an even better defender than Aidoo was and we have the makings for a great team.

Haha.. I’m just pointing out that all you guys drooling over getting all these big wings / stretch 4’s who can shoot are forgetting there’s two ends of the court Lol.. championship teams are great on both ends.

And fwiw, I LOVE Lanier’s game but his defensive metrics aren’t very good either. You got to put just as much emphasis on defense as offense when thinking about the rotation and different lineups.
Barnes isn't bringing Lanier in for defense. It's so he can score 20 plus a game. Everyone else around him will play defense. Sorta like we did with Knecht. Dalton had zero defense about him and he played 30 minutes a game

Agree but you guys are are putting no emphasis on the defensive abilities of any of these portal players.

I’m not necessarily worried about it but some of these lineups being thrown around are just totally ignoring it. You still have to have good defenders and guys who are capable of guarding multiple positions to be good at defense. You don’t just insert anybody you want who can shoot and score and expect it to all mesh defensively just because it’s coach Barnes.

This team will look dramatically different next year. Be careful about what you assume or take for granted imo.

Barnes isn't bringing Lanier in for defense. It's so he can score 20 plus a game. Everyone else around him will play defense. Sorta like we did with Knecht. Dalton had zero defense about him and he played 30 minutes a game
Exactly my point. You can only insert so many guys like that into the rotation. Or else there won’t be enough around him to pick him up.

I think Dubar will play at least as good of defense as Vescovi, and will shoot better from 3 than what Vescovi gave us last year. Milicic may not be the defender James was, but he will rebound just as well, maybe better, and shoot better from outside than James.

Add in that Okpara may be an even better defender than Aidoo was and we have the makings for a great team.
I like Dubar, but this absolutely won’t happen.

VN Store

Back