2024 NBA Season Thread aka The Zion High Deductible Healthcare Plan

Eff the Mavs and that cry baby, Luka. I used to love Luka, but he is such a bitch, I'm getting where I despise his constant whining at the refs. Plus, he beat my boys and that pisses me off
All the Superstars complain (cry) all the time to the refs.

It's their privilege I assume.

Last edited:
All the Superstars complain (cry) all the time to the refs.

It's their privilege I assume.

Luka is on his own tier with this ****. It's why he led the league in techs. Nobody is even close to him, and no, not all the superstars do it. I've always liked the Mavs. I started out loving Luka. He made me turn. He looks like a spoiled kid on the verge of a tantrum, always angry. He's never committed a foul in his life and everything is a foul on the other team. He's the worst about getting back on D when he's mad about a no call. He's still getting techs (1x yesterday) and not getting back on D (at least 3x yesterday) in the playoffs at age 25. Time to grow up.

Luka was very good last night, and Mavs played with some effort on both sides for once. Still, Clippers shoot better than pure awful, they would have won.

Plus I'm not sure home court makes much difference in this series: Clippers at 26-15 have a better road record than the Mavs at home, 25-16.

Of the home losers last night, the Bucks are in more trouble for sure.

Luka is on his own tier with this ****. It's why he led the league in techs. Nobody is even close to him, and no, not all the superstars do it. I've always liked the Mavs. I started out loving Luka. He made me turn. He looks like a spoiled kid on the verge of a tantrum, always angry. He's never committed a foul in his life and everything is a foul on the other team. He's the worst about getting back on D when he's mad about a no call. He's still getting techs (1x yesterday) and not getting back on D (at least 3x yesterday) in the playoffs at age 25. Time to grow up.
It’s why Grant couldn’t fit in there, guys like Luka and Kyrie barely give effort on defense

It’s why Grant couldn’t fit in there, guys like Luka and Kyrie barely give effort on defense

Grant has himself to blame for some of that, too. But yeah, Luka seems to have a people problem to an extent. The guys who work out really like him...but Porzingis didn't work out next to Luka, now look at him the last 2 years. He's a problem and might be the piece that pushes C's finally to the title. Luka kept Brunson down to the point the Mavs didn't know what they had, and now he's an MVP candidate. Luka killed Carlisle. He killed Haralabob. Grant is out after 2 months? Lots of smoke.

Until Luka leads by example and attempts to defend, he will be James Harden 2.0.

Curry and Jokic were limited and poor defenders when they started off but once other teammates saw them putting in the effort, everything changed for those franchises...

Reactions: n_huffhines
Until Luka leads by example and attempts to defend, he will be James Harden 2.0.

Curry and Jokic were limited and poor defenders when they started off but once other teammates saw them putting in the effort, everything changed for those franchises...
grizzlies are doomed

Reactions: n_huffhines
grizzlies are doomed

Largely Ja tries and is passable with his effort. He's limited but there is more effort there than Luka, Trae, Harden, Dame, etc....

I'd love to see him take the Curry step up effortwise though...

grizzlies are doomed

Since 90, all the teams that have won titles (except Dirk) have the following

A. Best player is high end defender (most years)
B. Best player overcomes physical limitations with effort (Curry, Jokic) to become a decent+ defender

Ja ain't there yet.

Curry went from liability to passable because he became hard to expose with his effort in the triple switch system they built. Jokic went from liability to plus defender, but he can still be exposed by the right teams and schemes.

A big part of it is Curry probably gained 15 lbs and Jokic lost 15 lbs. Luka's got at least 20 lbs he should lose.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

Luka was actually pretty good last night defending in the half court when he got back, only giving up 5 points on 2-17 shooting as the primary defender and he made some really good shows as the helper. Not elite but adequate.

Based on Game 2 I'd say the Mavs help defense has improved a ton since earlier in the year when I saw them just playing matador defense every game, but they were pretty bad in Game 1 . . . so I don't know what to think.

Clippers kind of played Dallas' game last night too, slow and indecisive. They just need to up the pace.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Luka was actually pretty good last night defending in the half court when he got back, only giving up 5 points on 2-17 shooting as the primary defender and he made some really good shows as the helper. Not elite but adequate.

Based on Game 2 I'd say the Mavs help defense has improved a ton since earlier in the year when I saw them just playing matador defense every game, but they were pretty bad in Game 1 . . . so I don't know what to think.

Clippers kind of played Dallas' game last night too, slow and indecisive. They just need to up the pace.

I think he did play OK on defense last night, but the shooting % was a fluke. They were just missing on a lot of those. I was paying attention to how much they put him in actions and how much they made him work. They did put him in a lot of switches, but they frequently settled for mediocre shots without making him grind. Clippers weren't all there last night.

Reactions: Rifleman
Talk about shooting Luka and Kyrie didn't set the world on fire either but still won the game.

P.J. Washington showed up and helped Mavs to victory.

Reactions: Rifleman
Well how the mighty Celtics played tonight. Yes Miami shot the 3 outstanding but where was the defense from the vaunted C's .

VN Store

Back