2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

You’re the one who sought out this interaction with me, boss. Don’t know why you’re calling me a troll when you originally responded to my comment and essentially agreed with me that there’s no need in pursuing someone not in the portal (and that kinda stinks - even tho you vehemently disagree with this). Seems like you’re just trying to make a fool of yourself on this late night.

Wrong again, boss. I was the only one who brought up Murray so your comment was directed at me whether you chose to quote me or not. It’s time for you to stop trolling.

What’s your goal here other than to be an ass for no reason?

Brandon Murray would be in the NBA if he had the freshman season that y’all are acting like he had. He’s not some can’t miss guy and he’s certainly not at a position of need. I don’t get the obsession w him at this juncture.

Wrong again, boss. I was the only one who brought up Murray so your comment was directed at me whether you chose to quote me or not. It’s time for you to stop trolling.

What’s your goal here other than to be an ass for no reason?
I guess you can own wanting us to chase a bad player that doesn’t fit what we need until the cows come home. If you think it makes me an ass or a troll for calling you out for doing so, so be it.

I guess you can own wanting us to chase a bad player that doesn’t fit what we need until the cows come home. If you think it makes me an ass or a troll for calling you out for doing so, so be it.
If a player that would start for us (or at least play starter minutes) if he was on our roster next year is a “bad player” then we aren’t going to be participating in the big dance next year.

Guess we will just have a roster full of bad players.

If a player that would start for us if he was on our roster next year is a “bad player” then we aren’t going to be participating in the big dance next year.
I totally agree! If Brandon Murray was starting for us next year that would be a signifier that we have a lesser chance of making the NCAAT.

Unfortunately for both of our arguments coming to fruition, there’s probably a less than zero chance he’s on our squad next year, so we’ll never get to find out.

I totally agree! If Brandon Murray was starting for us next year that would be a signifier that we have a lesser chance of making the NCAAT.

Unfortunately for both of our arguments coming to fruition, there’s probably a less than zero chance he’s on our squad next year, so we’ll never get to find out.
You’re right. Barnes pushed hard for him last year because he is just so bad.

A kid I'd like to see us pursue.

I remember his dad playing all those years in Orlando with Dwight Howard surrounded by other shooters.

A kid I'd like to see us pursue.

I remember his dad playing all those years in Orlando with Dwight Howard surrounded by other shooters.

This is one I wondered about entering the portal. It would seem as if his ability transcends the level he's currently playing at. Not sure if we'll have interest, but I wondered about his future and whether he'd look for a bigger stage.

Jameer Nelson Jr. was at George Washington for 2 years and then Delaware for two. Has improved each season though, would be a good get as a grad transfer.

Think he has 2 years left with the COVID season.

Edit: also he averages over 20 ppg, but the bulk of his points come from driving to the rim and getting to the FT line, would be a perfect PG to bring in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
He’s better than Mashack. No idea with Dillione at this point. I would gladly lose a guy like Jefferson to add him. But still plenty of minutes to go around if Dillione is backup PG and Phillips able to play more 4.

Debatable at best.

Looking at their per 40s:
Mashack would be grabbing 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3.3 steals, and 10.4 points per game.
Murray would be grabbing 4.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals, and 15.9 points per game.

He went to Georgetown to get featured more in the offense and he's clearly a volume shooter, averaged nearly as many FGAs as he does points. His shooting % all went down going from LSU to Georgetown. 48.8% 2PT% to 43.3%, 33.6% 3PT to 31.8%, 67.7% FT to just 64.8% and he's averaging more attempts in all areas.

Personally don't want any part of any Will Wade players and I don't care how good they are. But Murray last year had a shot to come here and took an easier path.

Jameer Nelson Jr. was at George Washington for 2 years and then Delaware for two. Has improved each season though, would be a good get as a grad transfer.

Think he has 2 years left with the COVID season.

Edit: also he averages over 20 ppg, but the bulk of his points come from driving to the rim and getting to the FT line, would be a perfect PG to bring in.
My question on him is that first 2 years at better competition his numbers were much worse across the board, at Delaware he’s been good but that’s about the lowest level of competition there is.

Reactions: berryvol
My question on him is that first 2 years at better competition his numbers were much worse across the board, at Delaware he’s been good but that’s about the lowest level of competition there is.

Well he only played in 38 total games at George Washington and they were bad teams. His freshmen year he also wasn't asked to be the primary PG since Potter was still there. Second year Christian went heavy in the portal to try and save his job. Brought in James Bishop (from LSU), Matthew Moyer (from Vandy), Ricky Lindo (from Maryland) and some of the other players like Nelson and Paar got lost in the mix. Then COVID also limited everyone.

What I do like though is that you can see in his stats growth as a player...maybe some of that's playing against weaker competition or maybe that's getting to be the primary PG. Either way he seems like the sort of kid RB would take, hard worker that's played a lot of minutes and rebounds well for his size but also plays tough defense.

Debatable at best.

Looking at their per 40s:
Mashack would be grabbing 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3.3 steals, and 10.4 points per game.
Murray would be grabbing 4.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals, and 15.9 points per game.

He went to Georgetown to get featured more in the offense and he's clearly a volume shooter, averaged nearly as many FGAs as he does points. His shooting % all went down going from LSU to Georgetown. 48.8% 2PT% to 43.3%, 33.6% 3PT to 31.8%, 67.7% FT to just 64.8% and he's averaging more attempts in all areas.

Personally don't want any part of any Will Wade players and I don't care how good they are. But Murray last year had a shot to come here and took an easier path.
Phillips chose to play for Will Wade over Barnes as well. That’s a silly thing to get hung up on. We just had the opportunity to pay him 700k legally a few months after the fact.

Either way he was the 3rd best player behind Eason and Days (2 NBA guys) on a decent tournament team as a freshman. As far as him vs Mashack it’s not really debatable right now. Maybe if the argument is what Mashack could be next year, then sure. And yeah Georgetown sucked ass so I’m not surprised his efficiency dropped.

Phillips chose to play for Will Wade over Barnes as well. That’s a silly thing to get hung up on. We just had the opportunity to pay him 700k legally a few months after the fact.

Either way he was the 3rd best player behind Eason and Days (2 NBA guys) on a decent tournament team as a freshman. As far as him vs Mashack it’s not really debatable right now. Maybe if the argument is what Mashack could be next year, then sure. And yeah Georgetown sucked ass so I’m not surprised his efficiency dropped.

Reaching much? Besides, I said I want no part of Will Wade players...not players he recruited or tried to get (that'd eliminate half the country LOL). Phillips never played a minute for Wade, Murray did. Big difference.

Are you Brandon Murray or something? You seem to be pushing hard for this guy who isn't even in the portal.

I think we've already got the type of body/player Murray is with Jahmai Mashack, DJ Jefferson, & Freddie Dilione on team already with much more time in our system. Even if we lose all our seniors the portal pickups will be need based and Murray just isn't going to be a need especially if Phillips returns.

PG is a need and we'll likely have a need for another seasoned/proven big with ON and Uros both potentially gone.

Reactions: Namorto1
Reaching much? Besides, I said I want no part of Will Wade players...not players he recruited or tried to get (that'd eliminate half the country LOL). Phillips never played a minute for Wade, Murray did. Big difference.

Are you Brandon Murray or something? You seem to be pushing hard for this guy who isn't even in the portal.

I think we've already got the type of body/player Murray is with Jahmai Mashack, DJ Jefferson, & Freddie Dilione on team already with much more time in our system. Even if we lose all our seniors the portal pickups will be need based and Murray just isn't going to be a need especially if Phillips returns.

PG is a need and we'll likely have a need for another seasoned/proven big with ON and Uros both potentially gone.

1. That’s not a reach. He signed an NLI with LSU and would’ve been there had he not been fired. It’s not just that LSU recruited him.

2. No it’s just a discussion. You responded to me, did you not expect a response back? It’s a guy Barnes is familiar with and wanted last year. He visited us before picking Georgetown. He’s a guy that definitely would’ve improved this team as a big physical 2/3 who can get to the basket.

3. Those names are all well and good but we don’t know what we have in the redshirt freshmen yet. We are going from 2 veteran leaders in Vescovi and JJJ (and Key… meh) to relying on 2 redshirt freshmen, BJ Edwards and Mashack. You can say we are deep there but I don’t see Jefferson being a factor at all next year. BJ jury is still out as well. He may not be a guy who really contributes much till his 3rd or 4th year. So really we are putting a lot of faith in Dillione and Mashack. People are setting the expectations a bit too higher for Freddie imo.

I think we do take another guy who can play the 2/3 when it comes down to it. As well as a PG and big obviously.

Yeah, I could see us adding a 2/3 but it'll require a few things to happen first I believe.

8 on scholarship right now IF all 4 seniors and Key leave, 3 incoming freshmen puts the numbers at 11 (so just 2 spots to fill).

PG & PF/C would take those 2 spots. So I think a 2/3 drive to the basket guy would only be added if someone transfers out.

But no point debating Murray unless he enters the portal...also he used his free transfer already so not sure how his eligibility would look for next season even if he was in the portal and interested in actually coming here.

Are the freshmen coming in at PF/C expected to contribute or need a year or two? See a lot of posts about bringing in a big man, and thinks it makes sense if we can get an impact guy but also really like what we have in Awaka and Aidoo going forward.

If the freshmen can give some decent minutes, plus we go small some with Phillips/jjj if both/either return, not sure how much a PF/C is a must have unless they’re an impact guy.

Yeah, I could see us adding a 2/3 but it'll require a few things to happen first I believe.

8 on scholarship right now IF all 4 seniors and Key leave, 3 incoming freshmen puts the numbers at 11 (so just 2 spots to fill).

PG & PF/C would take those 2 spots. So I think a 2/3 drive to the basket guy would only be added if someone transfers out.

But no point debating Murray unless he enters the portal...also he used his free transfer already so not sure how his eligibility would look for next season even if he was in the portal and interested in actually coming here.
I think we see a transfer (no insider information I just think it’s rare to not see 1 per season).

As far as transfer eligibility - most guys who lose their coach will be given a pass even if they are out of free ones. Hell Justin Powell got a 2nd one.

Are the freshmen coming in at PF/C expected to contribute or need a year or two? See a lot of posts about bringing in a big man, and thinks it makes sense if we can get an impact guy but also really like what we have in Awaka and Aidoo going forward.

If the freshmen can give some decent minutes, plus we go small some with Phillips/jjj if both/either return, not sure how much a PF/C is a must have unless they’re an impact guy.
Don’t think we really see Cade Phillips next year barring something unforeseen.

I feel like Cade and JP could both have an impact next year at least off of the bench. They’re both a little thin but so was Aidoo

I think we see a transfer (no insider information I just think it’s rare to not see 1 per season).

As far as transfer eligibility - most guys who lose their coach will be given a pass even if they are out of free ones. Hell Justin Powell got a 2nd one.

True on both points.

As for incoming Freshmen JP is the highest rated and on paper seems the most ready to contribute minutes, but Cade fits the Barnes mold more. I think even with both coming in you'd still like another big that's played a lot of minutes and is experienced. Having someone to help mentor Awaka/JP/Cade and also allow Aidoo to catch a break a bit on minutes as well.

VN Store

Back