2022, 2023, & 2024 Baseball Commitments (Merged with the 2018+ Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add this guy to the 2016 list when ya get the time Burger, TIA...

Justin Ammons is a 2016 OF/2B with a 5-9 162 lb. frame from Cordova, TN who attends Bartlett HS. Shorter compact build, has good present strength. Left handed hitter, upright stance, simple balanced approach, quick efficient swing, uses his hands very well, very good barrel control with very consistent solid line drive contact, mostly pull contact, high average approach and execution. 6.94 runner, moves well laterally and through the ball, quick release with accurate throws, looks and acts like a second baseman playing the outfield, second base ideal position in the future. Good student.
PG Grade 9.0

Reactions: 2 people
Mason Hickman is a 2017 kid to keep an eye on...Middle Tennessee kid, 6'6 215, So. RHP...played with Team Tennessee, threw a complete game shutout versus Team Missouri...He's a Tennessee fan but it will be hard to pull him from Vandy. That battle begins July 1 I guess...

Reactions: 1 person
Mason Hickman is a 2017 kid to keep an eye on...Middle Tennessee kid, 6'6 215, So. RHP...played with Team Tennessee, threw a complete game shutout versus Team Missouri...He's a Tennessee fan but it will be hard to pull him from Vandy. That battle begins July 1 I guess...

We didn't make it until July. 1st

@HickmanMason: Honored to say I have verbally committed to play baseball at Vanderbilt University!! Can't wait to be a Commodore⚓️⬇️!!!! #godores

Has anybody else heard the Red Sox going after Corbin after the season is over?

Whoa. I would say thats totally insane and not happening, if 1) I didn't think he could do it and 2) It wasn't possibly the only job he'd even consider outside of Vandy. You can't just send an outright 'No' to a job like that, but all in all, I think he's got such a good gig going in Nashville, he wouldn't go if offered. He's earned the right to stay there as long as he wants. I don't think money is a real issue for him.

Also, I can't believe a big league club would seek out a college coach. That seems like a stretch.

Duncan Pence...

USABaseball.com: News: A big swing: Stripes third baseman Duncan Pence shows what he can do in an instant

CARY, N.C. -- After some struggles early in the USA Baseball Tournament of Stars, Duncan Pence needed only one swing to show what he can do.

With Stripes in the middle of a fifth-inning rally that would provide some separation in an eventual 11-8 victory over Free, Pence stepped to the plate with one out and two runners on.

A moment later he hit a homer to left that was measured at 99 mph off the bat.

"I didn't even feel it," Pence said. "I heard it and then ran. It was one of those where you kind of know. I squared that one up pretty well."

That one swing made quite an impression on Stripes coach Dan Hubbs.

"It was crushed," Hubbs said. "It's a big yard. For him to be able to do that ….

"That was the ball he squared up and we were able to see what he's capable of. I think he's been trying to do too much so far, but he relaxed, got a pitch he could do something with, and really squared it up."

There is much more to do at the Tournament of Stars, a gathering of 107 of the nation's finest high school baseball players at the USA Baseball National Training Complex.

That number will be trimmed to 40 on Sunday, then to 28 after a camp here next week. The final, 20-man squad will play in the 2015 WBSC 18U World Cup in Osaka, Japan, starting in late August.

The schedule continues Friday with a position-group split of the players for evaluation in a pro-style workout.

Hubbs said it will be important for Pence, and the other players, to relax.

"It's still baseball," he said. "It's their chance to showcase what they can do, and you've just got to relax in the moment. If you put too much pressure on yourself to perform, you're not going to perform. Just go out there and have a good time, play with good players and see where it falls."

Pence, a 6-3, 190-pounder from Farragut High in Knoxville, Tenn., will work out with both the middle infield and corner infield groups.

This is his first experience with USA Baseball other than the National High School Invitational here in March, but he has heard how special playing for your country can be from another Knoxville product, Bearden High's Lane Thomas, who won 18U gold in Taiwan in 2013.

"He came back, and the first thing he did was show me all the stuff he got," Pence said. "That's sweet, but he said he's never had an experience like that.

"The opportunity to travel over to Asia and play teams from all over the world, that would be huge. I'd love to do it. I hope I can."

More shots like the one he hit Thursday will help. And Pence is looking at the bright spots.

"I haven't struck out," he said. "I'm making solid contact with just about everything. I'm pretty pleased. But I know I could do better."

One thing he says he couldn't have done better: Choose a college.

A Tennessee commitment, Pence said he has been getting questions about his pledge since associate head coach Greg Bergeron left the Volunteers.

He, however, says he doesn't have any question about Tennessee.

"I love it," he said. "They didn't have a great year this year, but I'm excited to get up there no matter what and help them get back to Omaha."

If everything works out the way he wants, he'll make a stop in Japan first.

"That'd mean everything," he said. "I mean, representing my country is huge."

Notes: The heat at the National Training Complex this week is in stark contrast to Pence's NHSI visit in March. "The NHSI was freezing," he said. "We played College Station (Texas) and we had that rain delay. It's on Baseball America's Instagram, me and four of my teammates under a blanket, huddled together." … Hubbs credited Reggie Lawson, who pitched two scoreless innings, for his effort. "Lawson really pounded the zone," he said. "If we do that, we'll be in good shape." … He also said he was proud of Tyler Mondile, who gave up five runs in a rough eighth but pitched a scoreless ninth. I was proud of Tyler for coming back and putting up a zero when we booted a ball behind him," Hubbs said. "He did a good job in the ninth to get out of it."

Joshua Stephen had a two-run double for Stripes. … Nolan Williams, Kevin Milam, Thomas Dillard II and Michael Amditis had two hits each for Stripes. … Free was led by Kyle Muller, who pitched three scoreless innings, then came in as the DH and got three hits in four at-bats, driving in a run. … Carlos Cortes had two hits and drove in two runs for Free, and Joseph Wentz had two RBIs.

TOS games resume on Saturday. Stripes meets Pride at 10 a.m. EDT on the stadium field in a game that will be live-streamed on USABaseball.com. Free face Brave on Field 2 at 1 p.m.

He's not on the 40 man roster.

Looks like he was committed to WKU coming out of high school...he made a solid jump from year one to two in JUCO...he's been a reliever there, no starts in two years...

Looks like he was committed to WKU coming out of high school...he made a solid jump from year one to two in JUCO...he's been a reliever there, no starts in two years...

Here is what the WKU site said about him in November 2014.

Jon Lipinski – 6’2 – 225 - RHP – Palm Beach State College - Coral Springs, Fla.

Lipinski continues WKU’s recruiting pipeline in the Sunshine State and becomes the third player to sign with the Hilltoppers out of Palm Beach State college, joining infielders Ryan Church and Danny Hudzina. Lipinski was one of head coach Kyle Forbes’ most called upon relievers as a freshman at PBSC, appearing in 16 games and striking out 18 in over 25 innings of work while only walking five batters.

“I’m really excited about Jon. He’s a physical kid, very strong and has a fastball up to 93-94,” said Myers. “He’s the type of guy that will come in and make an immediate impact on our staff either at the front end or back end. You don’t find a lot of arms like that. He changes the landscape right away. We definitely made our staff a lot better by getting Jon. He’s a tremendous kid and we can’t wait for him to get here.”

Last edited:
93-94 sounds good to me...now we need a first baseman that can hit.

No, the WKU press release announcing his NLI signing was from last fall and includes his freshman stats. Somehow that NLI was voided, and he was back on the market.

No, the WKU press release announcing his NLI signing was from last fall and includes his freshman stats. Somehow that NLI was voided, and he was back on the market.

I was just going off of his PG page, there it says he's committed to WKU...but yeah, something happened...

We didn't make it until July. 1st

@HickmanMason: Honored to say I have verbally committed to play baseball at Vanderbilt University!! Can't wait to be a Commodore⚓️⬇️!!!! #godores

They are a freaking machine, they just picked up a kid for the 2018 class, we don't have a commit for the 2017 class yet...

They are a freaking machine, they just picked up a kid for the 2018 class, we don't have a commit for the 2017 class yet...

@JBrownPG: With the commitments of Brooksbank and Hickman, #Vandy now has 9 commits in their 2017 class, 6 ranked in the top 105 per @PerfectGameUSA.

I know your tired of the talk but this isn't stopping until ..........

@JBrownPG: With the commitments of Brooksbank and Hickman, #Vandy now has 9 commits in their 2017 class, 6 ranked in the top 105 per @PerfectGameUSA.

I know your tired of the talk but this isn't stopping until ..........

I'm not sure what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back