2022, 2023, & 2024 Baseball Commitments (Merged with the 2018+ Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never noticed before...CDS sounds just like the guitar player for the Knack, Berton Averre.

going to be a very interesting draft year. I'm sure a new thread will be created closer to June......

Not a doubt we will have several guys get drafted but the bigger question is which round will they be drafted in and will that induce them to leave a program that may or may not be in turmoil.

I think Stewart and Lee have showed the most upside and are gone. We will have a few others (as you mentioned) get drafted and it just depends how bad they want to get out of Knoxville......

Stewart will be the first off the board but other than that none of the other guys project very well. Lee has a flat FB, Simcox has a push swing, Owenby is a LHP but not a lot of room for velo improvement, Jackson has good frame and swing doesn't project well to wood. It will be interesting to see how anxious they are to get into proball Bc they want have a lot of money coming their way.

Stewart will be the first off the board but other than that none of the other guys project very well. Lee has a flat FB, Simcox has a push swing, Owenby is a LHP but not a lot of room for velo improvement, Jackson has good frame and swing doesn't project well to wood. It will be interesting to see how anxious they are to get into proball Bc they want have a lot of money coming their way.

I agree that the money is not going to be a lot for anyone except possibly Stewart and his probably will be less than expected. If guys get drafted in any round and bail then that will give all of us some ideal of the state of the program internally. Hopefully most everyone stays to improve their draft stock and prove that this year was a fluke.

I personally see Lee as a 1st Basemen and not a pitcher if he gets to the next level.

If guys get drafted in any round and bail then that will give all of us some ideal of the state of the program internally. Hopefully most everyone stays to improve their draft stock and prove that this year was a fluke.

No. If guys with eligibility remaining go pro this year, even in late rounds with little money, it will only reflect the reality of how MLB teams manage their bonus pools. We shouldn't infer anything about the state of the program from what these players decide to do in the only year they'll have even a little bit of leverage in their negotiations. The players know that whatever they can get this year is almost certainly better than they'd get next year when MLB teams can tell them to sign for what they're offered or kiss their pro dreams goodbye.

Reactions: 1 person
No. If guys with eligibility remaining go pro this year, even in late rounds with little money, it will only reflect the reality of how MLB teams manage their bonus pools. We shouldn't infer anything about the state of the program from what these players decide to do in the only year they'll have even a little bit of leverage in their negotiations. The players know that whatever they can get this year is almost certainly better than they'd get next year when MLB teams can tell them to sign for what they're offered or kiss their pro dreams goodbye.

Good post and I would have agreed whole heartily a few years but the draft is different now. Occasional you will find a junior decide to return to school because seniors are drafted more frequently in the top 10 rounds than before the new draft structure.

That "prestige" is appealing to some guys now. So I would guess at least 1 of the juniors on this roster now might decide that route even though that route doesn't equal big $ either.

However If none of them do, it won't say much about the state of the program which was your original point

Good post and I would have agreed whole heartily a few years but the draft is different now. Occasional you will find a junior decide to return to school because seniors are drafted more frequently in the top 10 rounds than before the new draft structure.

That "prestige" is appealing to some guys now. So I would guess at least 1 of the juniors on this roster now might decide that route even though that route doesn't equal big $ either.

However If none of them do, it won't say much about the state of the program which was your original point

I'll rephrase my point from my earlier post to clarify, if their signing bonus is less than their scholarship money for their senior season I'd be concerned about the program......

I wouldn't blame any junior or redshirt sophomore jumping ship to chase their dreams however I think another year of maturity and development would be beneficial for some, not just our players but for other teams as well.

If guys are taking off for a $5,000 signing bonus then that would be alarming in my opinion.

I'll rephrase my point from my earlier post to clarify, if their signing bonus is less than their scholarship money for their senior season I'd be concerned about the program......

I wouldn't blame any junior or redshirt sophomore jumping ship to chase their dreams however I think another year of maturity and development would be beneficial for some, not just our players but for other teams as well.

If guys are taking off for a $5,000 signing bonus then that would be alarming in my opinion.

That's just not how the business works. Between the post-eligibility scholarships UT can offer to former athletes (which don't count against the 11.7 cap and can be worth more than the partial scholarships baseball players get while they are eligible) and whatever the players can negotiate their MLB team to put in the MLB scholarship fund, paying for their senior year is pretty feasible.

What matters more to players with pro opportunities after their third year of college is getting started on climbing the pro ladder because time is not on their side and four year college players have a very short window for advancing before they are considered too old. A four-year college player who spends his first year at short season rookie ball, and a year at each level of Single A, which is a pretty good rate of advancement, is already almost too old for AA when he gets there. They have to get started when they have the chance.

You can't just compare the bonus to the scholly. That's not how the career decision gets made. And you can't blame the school when a player who has a chance to go pro at 21 does so rather than waiting until the next year when the odds against his advancing are greater.

Last edited:
Going to watch Hardin valley and Farragut play tonight. Neely is on the mound for Hardin valley. Who else should I keep an eye on?

Neely looked pretty good, he really relies on his slider but he can throw it in any count. His defense let him down but they still found a way to win. Pence stuck out, first thing I noticed was was his arm. You could tell he was a D 1 guy just from pregame, then he went and got 3 hits and a stolen base.

The problem with MLB draft is the drastic drop in signing bonus from the junior year to senior year. A senior with a solid year can be lucky to get a $5000-$10000 signing bonus. A junior with a solid year has a chance to get a $100000 bonus or more plus a full year of college paid for when their carreer is finished. New bargaining agreement allows teams to offer $100000 without a penalty for rounds 11 and later (1st 10 rounds are covered by a teams signing pool). Solid seniors like Zach Godley (he is doing great in the Diamondbacks minor league) drafted in top 10 rounds get maybe $10000. For a player wanting a chance to play professionally it is very tough to stay for senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back