2019 Target List

BTO, how do u feel about these two?

History suggest we don’t land either.

Many seem to think Duke or Tennessee for James, not sure we’ve ever beaten Duke for a recruit like James, hard to see that happening.

I think we are in it for Lecque but he seemed to really like NC State, getting an OV is a positive development though.

History suggest we don’t land either.

Many seem to think Duke or Tennessee for James, not sure we’ve ever beaten Duke for a recruit like James, hard to see that happening.

I think we are in it for Lecque but he seemed to really like NC State, getting an OV is a positive development though.
Silver lining, I seem to remember Tennessee beating Duke for Robert Hubbs. In-state factor and distance may habeem in our favor for that one, but that is one recruit I can remember us beating Duke for.

Silver lining, I seem to remember Tennessee beating Duke for Robert Hubbs. In-state factor and distance may habeem in our favor for that one, but that is one recruit I can remember us beating Duke for.

Yea was gonna mention him specifically but that’s what I meant with the “for a recruit like James” part. Hubbs was from Tennessee and also were some questions where he was on their board, James would be on another level.

Yea was gonna mention him specifically but that’s what I meant with the “for a recruit like James” part. Hubbs was from Tennessee and also were some questions where he was on their board, James would be on another level.
You seem more guarded about our chances with these two. Is that because of how surprised you were by the Mann decision, or do you genuinely feel we have little chance here?

You seem more guarded about our chances with these two. Is that because of how surprised you were by the Mann decision, or do you genuinely feel we have little chance here?

The Mann outcome has definitely caused me to be weary of any highly regarded recruits...this staff has been “tricked” a handful of times by recruits and thinking they were in better standing with them then they ultimately were, Mann was kind of the straw for me.

Common sense tells me we aren’t beating Duke for James, no intel on this one just common sense and past history. Somewhat related, it would seem our chances for Lecque are better given who else is after him, but with him I’m just taking more of the “I’ll believe it when I see it approach”.

The Mann outcome has definitely caused me to be weary of any highly regarded recruits...this staff has been “tricked” a handful of times by recruits and thinking they were in better standing with them then they ultimately were, Mann was kind of the straw for me.

Common sense tells me we aren’t beating Duke for James, no intel on this one just common sense and past history. Somewhat related, it would seem our chances for Lecque are better given who else is after him, but with him I’m just taking more of the “I’ll believe it when I see it approach”.
My thoughts exactly. It's the approach I have adopted since Mann backed away from his earlier timeline commitment. I have simply decided that, for whatever reasons, elite players don't seem to want to come here. Now, whether that is because we refuse to meet their demand$, we refuse to guarantee a starting position, we aren't a "sexy" option, I don't know. But I am firmly in the "believe it when I see it" camp when it comes to landing elite talent under this staff.

Reactions: Catbone

Being both a UT fan and a Bears fan, this is my stance with everything, and even when "I see it" I have a hard time believing good news. I still won't believe Khalil Mack is a Bear until I see him put Aaron Rodgers on his ass Sunday, and even then I'll still have my doubts haha. JK of course, but man I've been beaten down as a fan.

My thoughts exactly. It's the approach I have adopted since Mann backed away from his earlier timeline commitment. I have simply decided that, for whatever reasons, elite players don't seem to want to come here. Now, whether that is because we refuse to meet their demand$, we refuse to guarantee a starting position, we aren't a "sexy" option, I don't know. But I am firmly in the "believe it when I see it" camp when it comes to landing elite talent under this staff.
Which staff in Tennessee history has brought in elite talent? Mears over a couple of year stretch when the little man was giving out cash? Pearl got some. That is it. Enjoy the success we get and stop whining.

Which staff in Tennessee history has brought in elite talent? Mears over a couple of year stretch when the little man was giving out cash? Pearl got some. That is it. Enjoy the success we get and stop whining.

You need to worry about interpreting your own threads in the FF, before you come over here and tell people to stop whining.

Seems like Grunfeld (1973) might have been the first big time recruit landed by Mears. Boerwinkle was a project. Justus, Widby, and Jimmy England were very good players, don't know how highly rated they were. Mike Edwards might have been the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star.

Grunfeld, King, and Johnson were Mears'.

Dale Ellis was Devoe's. So was Tony White.

Houston was Houston's.

Tony Harris was, I think, KO's. Played for Jerry.

Vincent Yarbrough? Jerry Green's?

Lofton was Buzz's.

Richardson was Cuonzo's.

Seems like Grunfeld (1973) might have been the first big time recruit landed by Mears. Boerwinkle was a project. Justus, Widby, and Jimmy England were very good players, don't know how highly rated they were. Mike Edwards might have been the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star.

Grunfeld, King, and Johnson were Mears'.

Dale Ellis was Devoe's. So was Tony White.

Houston was Houston's.

Tony Harris was, I think, KO's. Played for Jerry.

Vincent Yarbrough? Jerry Green's?

Lofton was Buzz's.

Richardson was Cuonzo's.
Cuonzo also helped bring in Jarnell, though Pearl got that started. Cuonzo also got Jordan McRae if I remember correctly. I know McRae wasn't highly-rated like Stokes was, but he turned out to be really darn good.

I don't expect UT to compete for the top 20 type guys in the country with Duke and Kentucky year in and out. Maybe we get one occasionally thanks to relationships, geography etc. I do think we should be pulling in top 50/top 75 type guys on a regular basis. If we recruit Atlanta and the greater Nashville area hard there is a lot of talent there. Go into North Carolina and Virginia occasionally. I think there is a sweet spot UT can find where we don't loose out to the blue bloods on the big hype guys but find those next tier guys that will stay four years. That is my only criticism of Coach Barnes. He has done a great job overall but t seems like we missed on the top targets this year and our fall back guys were pretty far back .

Cuonzo also helped bring in Jarnell, though Pearl got that started. Cuonzo also got Jordan McRae if I remember correctly. I know McRae wasn't highly-rated like Stokes was, but he turned out to be really darn good.

Yes, I don't think that McRae was real highly rated. Tyler Smith was, but he was a transfer.

If I'm not mistaken I think McRae was a Pearl recruit wasn't he? I think he came in under Pearl and nearly transferred after his freshman year due to barely playing.

Jordan McRae was top 50 according to rivals and top 40 according to 247 composite.

Reactions: k-town_king
If I'm not mistaken I think McRae was a Pearl recruit wasn't he? I think he came in under Pearl and nearly transferred after his freshman year due to barely playing.

Seems like McRae was on the bench while Pearl, Jr was getting minutes one year. Junior also took minutes from Maymon iirc.

I’m gonna educate you since our school system has failed to do so.

1. Research. Research my post history and you’ll find I have given Barnes nothing but the benefit of the doubt and have been one of his biggest supporters.

2. Jerry Green brought in tons of talent. Tony Harris, Ron Slay, Vincent Yarbrough, Isiah Victor to name a few. Pearl had numerous top 100 players...Tyler Smith, Duke Crews, Ramar Smith, Jordan McRae, Kenny Hall, Emmanuel Negedu, Trae Golden, Jerome Maymon, etc. Cuonzo Martin got Jarnell Stokes and Robert Hubbs. Again, do some research.

3. I’m not complaining. Just stating facts and spinning ideas about why this staff isn’t landing elite players. It doesn’t mean we cant win without them.

Yes, I don't think that McRae was real highly rated. Tyler Smith was, but he was a transfer.
McRae was top 100, maybe top 50, actually, but was a Pearl recruit who was in the same class as Josh Selby, before Selby decommitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: k-town_king
Weren't many of Green's recruits set up by O'Neill? I think O'Neill would have ended up with a pretty good team if he had stuck around. The guy could recruit, and I wonder if he might not have opened things up a bit if he had the players.

Weren't many of Green's recruits set up by O'Neill? I think O'Neill would have ended up with a pretty good team if he had stuck around. The guy could recruit, and I wonder if he might not have opened things up a bit if he had the players.
The most recent dyna team would combine Barnes, Pearl and Green. F O’Neil, like he did his players.

VN Store

Back