2018 QB Depth Chart

His obsession is race related. Dormady is white. Ergo, he is clearly inferior. And no, this is not a joke.

I have no idea but I?m all about the best man for the job. They all have some issues imo. All I can say is may the best man win. I will definitely support Pruitt and staffs decision more so than Jones. I don?t think we will have all 3 of our current qbs on the roster when the season rolls around. Not sure who will transfer but at least one will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their stat line is similar, but the biggest difference was JG was a redshirt freshman and QD was a junior. The offensive pieces were in place early on (not the case later when JG was playing) and with QD’s poor play, he couldn’t get them the ball.

JG has a lot more upside over QD with 3 more years to play. The starter should be JG or a guy not on the roster yet.

Reactions: 1 person
JG has the most upside imo, just needs to be taught how to play qb at this level....has to develop better pocket presence/internal clock to feel pressure. Also must trust what he sees and get rid of the ball accordingly, assuming that his receivers are where they should be...probably a pretty big assumption.

I firmly believe that QD will transfer at this point, after Spring and I think we better sign someone to be JG’s backup this cycle. McBride is a 3rd string type guy imo.

The team rallied around McBride better than either of the other two. Why? - Because he is a leader who wasn't afraid to lay it all on the line in an effort to win. He has heart!

Dormady has to be able to completely heal from the shoulder surgery, this can sometimes take over a year or more get over:hi::hi:

I think it has to be JG. If QD is the same or even just slightly better as a Sr than JG is as a So, you have to play for the future and let JG develop. You have 2 or 3 more years with him in the system and only one with QD. Also the RBs, WRs, and OL will be a year older and more experienced as well. I like the lower number of INTs that JG put up and hope he develops a quicker internal clock.

Wrong. Play to win is always first priority.

JG passing is very good, probably the best of all, but his decision making seemed very questionable, and he often held the ball too long, too many sacks that he should have thrown away. Was not up to expectations as a runner. Hopefully can improve under new coach. QD good arm strength, but not as accurate, and not much for running either on options or when protection broke down. May also improve with good coaching. McBride not as strong a passer as the others, but showed good pocket presence and some running ability, especially considering he was a true frosh. All have strengths and weaknesses, spring practice will probably show how much they have improved under new coaching.

I’ve done a full breakdown of stats before on here and the more you look at the two, the distance between the two is more clear.

#1- Dormady started his first four games vs
GA Tech 5-6
Indiana State 0-11 in the FCS
Florida 4-7
Massachusetts 4-8

That’s a combined record of 13-32. In his first game against a legit team, QD played one of the most atrocious games seen by a Vol QB in recent memory. It was Peterman vs UF, Crompton vs AU bad.

Throw in UGA, and Dormady started against teams with a combined record of 25-33

#2- Guarantano’s starts were against:
South Carolina 8-4
Alabama 11-1
Kentucky 7-5
S Miss 8-4
LSU 9-3
Vanderbilt 5-7

That is a combined record of 48-24. Dormady started and played the majority of both our cupcake games this year, a 5-6 GA Tech team, and a Florida team that was almost as bad as we were. As I mentioned above, in his one game against a top SEC opponent, and his only game vs a team ranked in the Top 15- he played the worst game of the year. JG started against 2 Top 15 teams. Had he been named the starter from day 1 and played vs Indiana State and UMass, and Dormady come in vs. the Gamecocks and Bama, his stat line would’ve likely been much superior.

You can break down QBR, TO ratio, completion pct, yards per completion rate- JG superior in every category.

Really good stuff, Perico. This is the type of information I was hoping to see. That said, I don't think that anyone would argue that last year's system favored QD's skill sets. One could argue that the infallible system they had him running hindered his ability in virtually every category as well. Maybe both JG and QD would benefit from being in a more pro style system, I certainly hope so. I'm positive they'd both benefit from better coaching. The first thing I'm going to look for from whoever starts in Charlotte on Sept. 1st is, are they stepping into their throws. I couldn't believe it last season, watching game after game of the two of them throwing off their back foot. One of them doing it, bad QB play. Both of them doing it, bad coaching. We need better play from the position next season if we're going to see improvement in the team. As I mentioned in the original thread post, I just wonder why so many people have just assumed him the incumbent starter, aside from the QD transfer rumors. I just didn't see enough from him to think his talent level was so superior that he has that spot locked down through a coaching and philosophy change that, at least seemingly, benefits QD's skill sets.

People saying JG was slow, you realize he was playing on a bum ankle, right? He looked pretty good running vs uscjr.

JG looked like the better qb last year and should be the starter going into next year.

Reactions: 2 people
Really good stuff, Perico. This is the type of information I was hoping to see. That said, I don't think that anyone would argue that last year's system favored QD's skill sets. One could argue that the infallible system they had him running hindered his ability in virtually every category as well. Maybe both JG and QD would benefit from being in a more pro style system, I certainly hope so. I'm positive they'd both benefit from better coaching. The first thing I'm going to look for from whoever starts in Charlotte on Sept. 1st is, are they stepping into their throws. I couldn't believe it last season, watching game after game of the two of them throwing off their back foot. One of them doing it, bad QB play. Both of them doing it, bad coaching. We need better play from the position next season if we're going to see improvement in the team. As I mentioned in the original thread post, I just wonder why so many people have just assumed him the incumbent starter, aside from the QD transfer rumors. I just didn't see enough from him to think his talent level was so superior that he has that spot locked down through a coaching and philosophy change that, at least seemingly, benefits QD's skill sets.

That is an excellent post, Peter. Another thing that goes into who they select as the starting QB will be their leadership skills. I have a real problem with a QB that sits on the sideline and pouts the whole game because he doesn't get to play. You want to discuss stats? Look at the second game of the season when both QB's played with the same players around them. QD was much better than JG. If you are going to act like JG did during the GT game, you had better show me something when you get the chance and he didn't!

I didn't see anything from any of them that said "Im the guy" over the rest.
New system, new coach. The reset button has been punched.

UT has big QB question for now.

I would just take everything that happened last year and flush it down the toilet. I hope the offense we run in 2018 is COMPLETELY unrecognizable from last year’s ... and I hope it’s open competition.

I think it has to be JG. If QD is the same or even just slightly better as a Sr than JG is as a So, you have to play for the future and let JG develop. You have 2 or 3 more years with him in the system and only one with QD. Also the RBs, WRs, and OL will be a year older and more experienced as well. I like the lower number of INTs that JG put up and hope he develops a quicker internal clock.
Our you play the senior letting the future QB from 2018 class know he can win a starting spot if good. And my gut tells me McBride will Transfer this year

That is an excellent post, Peter. Another thing that goes into who they select as the starting QB will be their leadership skills. I have a real problem with a QB that sits on the sideline and pouts the whole game because he doesn't get to play. You want to discuss stats? Look at the second game of the season when both QB's played with the same players around them. QD was much better than JG. If you are going to act like JG did during the GT game, you had better show me something when you get the chance and he didn't!

There's a good chance that neither is the starter in 2018. If no one transfers, there will be 5 to evaluate under a new staff and a presumably pro-style orientation. I'd say they all start the spring as though they are all fresh off the bus. All things being equal, 5 QB's on the roster for the fall says someone transfers.

Last edited:
There's a good chance that neither is the starter in 2018. If no one transfers, there will be 5 to evaluate under a new staff and a presumably pro-style orientation. I'd say they all start the spring as though they are all fresh off the bus. All things being equal, 5 QB's on the roster for the fall says someone transfers.

I would be willing to bet at this time that JT will be going for the starting spot by the end of next season. He is their guy they have an investment in.

I would be willing to bet at this time that JT will be going for the starting spot by the end of next season. He is their guy they have an investment in.

True. And they have the right to move in direction for a QB that fits the system they will be running. It may come to pass that both QD and JG eventually move on. I suppose that is also the reason they dumped Penix and went with Shrout. Other than both being 3*, maybe Penix was more spread type.

Dang it. It looks like Mullen has stolen Emory Jones from Ohio State. Just announced. The last thing we need is for Florida to start playing offense again.

Dang it. It looks like Mullen has stolen Emory Jones from Ohio State. Just announced. The last thing we need is for Florida to start playing offense again.

That's for sure. In the past, we haven't done very well with teams that periodically score touchdowns...

Dormady amay not even be ready to compete in the spring, has anyone heard any updates on the recovery, and how long?

My guess

1. Guarantano
2. Shrout
3. Harris/Washington

McBride transfers to MAC or Southern Conference team, QD transfers as well after missing spring as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

My guess

1. Guarantano
2. Shrout
3. Harris/Washington

McBride transfers to MAC or Southern Conference team, QD transfers as well after missing spring as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

Agreed, but wouldn't be surprised if Shrout finished the year as the starter, but it i really don't care either way as long as we win! GBO!

VN Store

Back