2018 QB Depth Chart

I think it has to be JG. If QD is the same or even just slightly better as a Sr than JG is as a So, you have to play for the future and let JG develop. You have 2 or 3 more years with him in the system and only one with QD. Also the RBs, WRs, and OL will be a year older and more experienced as well. I like the lower number of INTs that JG put up and hope he develops a quicker internal clock.

Needs to be the one that can win and JG has not shown that yet. QD's job until he loses it. Based on your post you are assuming JG would be here 3 more years without injury. You never make those assumptions for college players. Future means a long time. College it means 3 to 4 yrs at most. Play the best player always!

:thud:

JG is the slowest Dual threat QB I seen last year.

If we go to a Pro set he has no instinct to get rid of ball on time. Usually that is burned in to top QB's coming out of HS. I could understand if he was a walkon.
Are there any good JUCO QB's out there.:thud:

Needs to be the one that can win and JG has not shown that yet. QD's job until he loses it. Based on your post you are assuming JG would be here 3 more years without injury. You never make those assumptions for college players. Future means a long time. College it means 3 to 4 yrs at most. Play the best player always!

:thud:

What are you talking about? He already lost it. :thud::thud::thud:

He was replaced for poor play, not injury or anything else.

When did QD prove anything beyond being a turnover machine? When playing garbage teams like GT and Callaway bailed him out on bad throws decent teams started picking off? Beating a couple horrible teams and getting destroyed by any decent defense you face isn't winning.

Really just asking this to try and understand something. It seems that a very large portion of people thinks JG is assumed starter next season.

Why?

What did everyone who thinks that see, that leads them to believe it? Granted, injuries continued to unravel the him and the team, and he had a patchwork line as the season progressed. But for a more mobile QB that was supposed to fit last season's offense better, it looked like his internal clock had a dead battery, there was no magic in his legs to save the offense the way that Dobbs was able to do, the strength/accuracy of his arm seem discernible from QD's, and in 9 game's played vs. QD's 6 games, their stats are quite similar, despite the difference in playing time...

QD: 137 attempts/76 completions, 6td/6int, 925yds/154ypg
JG: 139 attempts/86 completions, 4td/2int, 997yds/110ypg

Honestly, I thought McBride looked like the most comfortable QB on the roster last season. Unfortunately, he also looked like the 3rd most talented.

So, assuming QD stays, and that the team goes more pro style, who's your starting QB, and why?

SIAP

Dormady's stats were against 4 of the Weakest teams we played all year. Guarantanos was against All SEC teams minus Southern Miss.

Dormady was a turnover machine and Guarantaon protected teh ball. There is no comparison between the 2 QBs. Dormady had 1 great quarter against GT and that was it, He looked lost for the rest fo the time on the field. Dormady's is a fragile QB with all of the mistakes he made this year, i would say he transfers but i don't think he will ever recover here. He will be booed off the field with his first mistakes because of his history of turning the ball over. It isn't all warrented but Dormady will have a hard time recovering his QB image at Tennessee. I may be wrong but that is JMHO!

Reactions: 1 person

When did QD prove anything beyond being a turnover machine? When playing garbage teams like GT and Callaway bailed him out on bad throws decent teams started picking off? Beating a couple horrible teams and getting destroyed by any decent defense you face isn't winning.

It was said that he lost it to competition, but with how Jones lied about injuries we don't really know. We do know that when he replaced JG in the Georgia game, he did not attempt to throw a pass and had one of the biggest gains we had with his feet. His loosing due to competition could have been Jones being paranoid if the opposition new we only had one QB with experience. Anyway with new coaching staff, everybody is starting over.

I am frustrated about Dormady because he was so bipolar. He showed us that in the first game against Tech. 3 quarters of garbage and a brilliant 4th quarter. I heard Eric Ainge mention there are certain mistakes college quarterbacks are told they can never make and QD makes them all every game. The positive there is it sounds like he was never developed so if we can train him to think and respond like a good college QB is supposed to I think he could be brilliant.

Dormady is a a coaches son he shouldn't make those kinds of mistakes!

JG has the most upside imo, just needs to be taught how to play qb at this level....has to develop better pocket presence/internal clock to feel pressure. Also must trust what he sees and get rid of the ball accordingly, assuming that his receivers are where they should be...probably a pretty big assumption.

I firmly believe that QD will transfer at this point, after Spring and I think we better sign someone to be JG’s backup this cycle. McBride is a 3rd string type guy imo.

Crossing over to the darkside i see! :)

Reactions: 2 people
Way to try and cherry pick stats op.

Completion percentage

61.9% JG vs 55.5QD

7.2 ypa JG 6.8 ypa QD

But that doesn't even begin to show how much better JG was.

VS SEC teams which really tells the tale

jg 65.1% QD 47.3%
JG 7.86 ypa QD 5.87 ypa

JG 3td/1int QD 1td/5ints

So against actual legit teams JG got better and QD was unequivocally worse. JG was way better passing the ball.

One simple thing that people keep forgetting.

JG was a Freshman
QD was a Junior

You have a Freshman who was getting his first live game reps/starts against the beef of our schedule who performed better than a Junior who was playing against early season cupcakes.

The game was fast around JG and rightfully so for a Freshman. It appeared to start slowing down for him as the season went on. QD looked to have better command of the offense pre-snap but the game was going so fast around him that when he was benched he was leading the SEC in turnovers. So you have a progressing Freshman vs. a regressing Junior.

Also another thing to point out is the lack of running game he received against the better competition.

In the 5 games QD started UT averaged 137.6 rushing ypg
In the 6 games JG started UT averaged 95.8 rushing ypg.

This was mainly due to a deteriorating offensive line that struggled blocking anyone.

So Dormady had a better offensive line, better supporting run game, played lesser competition as a Junior and still did not perform as well as a Freshman.

Who would we want: A rising Senior who the game never slowed down for, regressed, was injured and didn't have a chance to progress in the offseason OR a rising Sophomore who the game was slowing down for, he progressed and will have an opportunity to further progress in the offseason?

I think it's pretty glaring who the pick would be based of past performance but who knows Dormady could go 10 for 10 in spring again when he knows he can't get hit and propel himself to the front of the line.

Reactions: 2 people
JG is our guy. He had terrible coaching in a terrible offense. Had a terrible pass protection and had receivers that hardly ever got open. He has the arm and accuracy to be a great QB. Needs to work on getting the ball out of his hands quicker, but that can be fixed with the right coaching.

Do you guys remember how bad Nathan Peterman looked under Butch Jones? He transferred out and became a NFL QB (hasn't looked very good in his rookie year, but still he made it to the NFL.)

Reactions: 8 people
All assumptions and opinions about QD and JG are no longer valid. We have a completely overhauled coaching staff and scheme. We actually have a real QB coach. Now, this new staff is nit going to ge able to turn everything around in a year. Nor should they be expected to.

However, I do think CJP sees the most obvious problem with our QBs lack of success, the OL. Its just God awful outside of Smith.

I just read a few of the initial posts. This is likely gonna be our biggest obstacle to success next season. The OL is most pressing concern. I have to reiterate this and it's not good. UT developed an image problem and we are wide open for opposing recruiters to "down-talk" us. It's not a thing we can just ignore either. I'm certain our defense will improve to the calibre to compete but our offense not being able to simply get 1st downs put a lot of pressure on the defense last year.

Other recruiters are going to point out our 0-8 SEC record and our current inability to keep our committments,etc...Even though CJP is known for recruiting he's never likely been in this position before. He's got his job cut out for him for sure. Fan expectation at UT is unrealistic and only adds more pressure,IMO. I'm always optimistic when it comes to UT football and I feel lots better with CJP at the helm but he's no miracle worker. I'm looking for good results from this staff in year 3. We have a tough schedule in 2018.

These coaches can hopefully instill some determination into players coming in especially in the strength and conditioning part. As far as QB depth that would depend on whether or not Shrout signs with UT. I'd say everything is back to zero and we're playing with a new deck of cards. OL is the issue.

I think it has to be JG. If QD is the same or even just slightly better as a Sr than JG is as a So, you have to play for the future and let JG develop. You have 2 or 3 more years with him in the system and only one with QD. Also the RBs, WRs, and OL will be a year older and more experienced as well. I like the lower number of INTs that JG put up and hope he develops a quicker internal clock.

That kid plays more scared than anyone I've ever seen. QD is a turret, no mobility. The one decent run he had last year got him injured worse. If JJ is back on the team, put him back where he was recruited for.

Way to try and cherry pick stats op.

Completion percentage

61.9% JG vs 55.5QD

7.2 ypa JG 6.8 ypa QD

But that doesn't even begin to show how much better JG was.

VS SEC teams which really tells the tale

jg 65.1% QD 47.3%

JG 7.86 ypa QD 5.87 ypa

JG 3td/1int QD 1td/5ints

So against actual legit teams JG got better and QD was unequivocally worse. JG was way better passing the ball.

I don?t get your obsession with him. Personally I think McBride would have the most upside with proper coaching. When it comes down to it, any of the 3 could be descent and any/all of the 3 could be complete failures. Butch made a mess of all 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least he didn?t get blindsided every third or fourth play because he had no pocket awareness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don?t get your obsession with him. Personally I think McBride would have the most upside with proper coaching. When it comes down to it, any of the 3 could be descent and any/all of the 3 could be complete failures. Butch made a mess of all 3

His obsession is race related. Dormady is white. Ergo, he is clearly inferior. And no, this is not a joke.

I’ve done a full breakdown of stats before on here and the more you look at the two, the distance between the two is more clear.

#1- Dormady started his first four games vs
GA Tech 5-6
Indiana State 0-11 in the FCS
Florida 4-7
Massachusetts 4-8

That’s a combined record of 13-32. In his first game against a legit team, QD played one of the most atrocious games seen by a Vol QB in recent memory. It was Peterman vs UF, Crompton vs AU bad.

Throw in UGA, and Dormady started against teams with a combined record of 25-33

#2- Guarantano’s starts were against:
South Carolina 8-4
Alabama 11-1
Kentucky 7-5
S Miss 8-4
LSU 9-3
Vanderbilt 5-7

That is a combined record of 48-24. Dormady started and played the majority of both our cupcake games this year, a 5-6 GA Tech team, and a Florida team that was almost as bad as we were. As I mentioned above, in his one game against a top SEC opponent, and his only game vs a team ranked in the Top 15- he played the worst game of the year. JG started against 2 Top 15 teams. Had he been named the starter from day 1 and played vs Indiana State and UMass, and Dormady come in vs. the Gamecocks and Bama, his stat line would’ve likely been much superior.

You can break down QBR, TO ratio, completion pct, yards per completion rate- JG superior in every category.

Good Work!

My 2 cents:

1) QD must have gotten hurt right before season opener. He was and always has been super accurate. For some reason, he didn't have any accuracy in those first 4 games...especially in the 1st halves. Maybe he got a cortisone shot or something in the 2nd halves. Or he could have frozen up too but I don't think so.
2) The game slowed down for him and JG got a lot better after the first two games. He still held on to the ball too long and got sacked as the OL got progressively worse.
3) McBride was the most comfortable and ready to go of the three QBs. I don't think he has the arm strength of the other two QBs though. Best scrambler by far. Would have been interesting to see him with two games under his belt.
4) Not sure Eason would be better than QD or JG but he does have some valuable experience.

Eason would walk away with that competition. Bring the man in ASAP and let him redshirt. It will be interesting to see if Helton can shape up the 3 holdovers.

Eason would walk away with that competition. Bring the man in ASAP and let him redshirt. It will be interesting to see if Helton can shape up the 3 holdovers.

Why isn’t Eason starting at Ga? Their new starter isn’t setting the world on fire ....

VN Store

Back