2017 SEC Baseball MLB Draft Thread

I agree that Kyle Serrano has already agreed to a deal. You would expect it to be below slot. Unless he has a breakout senior year he is not getting a better deal next year. I would think he just ready to see what happens and take a break from all of the drama and just play ball. They will take their time with him and make sure he is healthy.

Most Pirates writers feel it hinges on Jennings. He is appearing to have a stronger commitment to Ole Miss than initially thought and if they can't sign him than Wolf could be a potential overslot deal.

Jennings will sign I would bet. Wolf can't be overslot without major penalties if they don't sign their top 10 if I understand it correctly

Jennings will sign I would bet. Wolf can't be overslot without major penalties if they don't sign their top 10 if I understand it correctly

I think he will eventually sign, but appearing to not be as easy as I initially thought as he has been pretty vocal about it taking a lot to get him there (I'm sure a lot of it is just posturing, but he seems like a really good kid, his grandmother definitely did a good job raising him).

In terms of there being a penalty for signing him for significantly over it very much depends on what kind of figure they had in mind for him. If they don't sign him they lose the bonus pool for his slot, so if they thought they could sign him right at slot or underslot they do not gain anything from not signing him. However, if they were negotiating with the thought that they would have to sign him to an overslot deal than they could use any money banked from the top 10 round on Wolfe without penalty, it would just have to count against their bonus pool for the top 10 round (anything over $125,000 after round 10 must count towards the bonus pool from the top 10).

Slot Values and Bonus Pools

The purpose of slot values and bonus pools is to limit the amount of the signing bonuses that drafted players can receive. Every draft pick in the first 10 rounds, plus the supplemental rounds, is assigned a slot value. The higher a player is drafted, the higher the slot value. The slot value is more of a suggestion than a hard number, and teams do have flexibility in determining how much to give to each drafted player as a bonus.

The total slot values for each team amounts to its bonus pool. A team’s pool is based on the positions of its picks as well as the amount spent in last year’s draft. In addition, any amount paid to players drafted in rounds 11-40 above $125,000 are subject to the bonus pool.

If a team exceeds its bonus pool, MLB assess a luxury tax on the excess. For 5% or less, the tax is 75% of the amount above the bonus pool. 5-10% over result in a 100% tax and the loss of next year’s first round pick.

If a team does not sign a player in the first 10 rounds, the slot value for that player is deducted from the bonus pool. So, a team can’t draft a really great prospect and pay him all the money, while ignoring the other picks. If a team signs a player for less than their slot value, the extra money can be used on another pick.

The Mariners have a bonus pool of $6,737,300. The first round pick has a slot value of $3,333,200, the second round pick is $1,206,900. The third round pick is slotted at a paltry $579,800. I know, what’s the point of being drafted in the third round?

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/6/10/15776034/how-the-2017-draft-works-what-it-means-for-mariners

I think Jennings will end up eventually signing as well, but there are definitely scenarios where Wolfe could end up having a bit more money thrown at him.

Whoa! KS says that if the Astros can't come up with some money, he's coming back, says Coach Vitello has been welcoming...says there is a really big part of him that wants to deliver what he hasn't thus far.

Reactions: 1 person
Whoa! KS says that if the Astros can't come up with some money, he's coming back, says Coach Vitello has been welcoming...says there is a really big part of him that wants to deliver what he hasn't thus far.

Hmmmm.......ok I tried telling you boys.

Wow, that is surprising.

Moberg went, just heard on the radio, I think in the round of 30...

You guys are more in tune than me...but a 2nd baseman who can hit for average and power not taken till the 30th round?

You guys are more in tune than me...but a 2nd baseman who can hit for average and power not taken till the 30th round?

A senior with no leverage...if he wants to continue playing baseball he gets what he gets...sadly.

Could be negotiations, be he did that interview as if he is coming back.

Really disappointing to see that Strider of Knoxville went in the 35th. He should be headed to Knoxville, not Clemson.

VN Store

Back