2017 SEC Baseball MLB Draft Thread

I noticed they only had values thru 10 rounds. Is that guaranteed money or just an average?

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker

A little complicated but it is not guaranteed. A team has so many picks in round 1-10 and they have a total amount of slot money from those picks. They can divide it among their picks anyway that is agreeable but they cannot exceed that total dollar amount. For example, let's say the second pick is worth $6 million and change but that player is not guaranteed that. He may agree to $5 mil. That extra money can then be used on a pick in round 8 that can only be signed by going over his slot value...strange and mysterious stuff in baseball all thanks to the Collective bargaining agreement.

Reactions: 1 person
Rodgers might go in rounds 8-10 and will be a senior sign. Because many teams will be out of their bonus pool for the top 10 rounds many picks near end of top 10 rounds are seniors going well below slot value (many going in the $5000-10000 range). Starting with 11th round teams can give $100000.00 (that amount may have gone up this year) bonus without penalty. Rounds 11-20 are often filled with college juniors. Still a great honor to be drafted.

Reactions: 1 person
Rodgers might go in rounds 8-10 and will be a senior sign. Because many teams will be out of their bonus pool for the top 10 rounds many picks near end of top 10 rounds are seniors going well below slot value (many going in the $5000-10000 range). Starting with 11th round teams can give $100000.00 (that amount may have gone up this year) bonus without penalty. Rounds 11-20 are often filled with college juniors. Still a great honor to be drafted.

Yep. I bet so too. I think Andy Cox fell there last year if I remember right.

Congratulations to Jordan Rodgers being drafted by Atlanta and I think he and Wright might start of with the Florida Fire Frogs, the Braves A team.

Congratulations to Jordan Rodgers being drafted by Atlanta and I think he and Wright might start of with the Florida Fire Frogs, the Braves A team.

That's their High A team, and their third baseman was a first round supplemental pick two years ago rated as their 15th best prospect.

Danville or maybe Rome would mostly likely be the first stop for Rodgers. Exciting opportunity.

Astros take Serrano in the 10th

He can always come back for his senior season if he cannot negotiate the right amount of money. Some of these guys who are seniors don't have any negotiation room...Kyle may since he is a junior in eligibility.

He can always come back for his senior season if he cannot negotiate the right amount of money. Some of these guys who are seniors don't have any negotiation room...Kyle may since he is a junior in eligibility.

True but the fact he was picked today almost assures he already agreed to a deal. Teams get penalized if they don't sign top 10 picks and taking him there means it's a done deal IMO .

True but the fact he was picked today almost assures he already agreed to a deal. Teams get penalized if they don't sign top 10 picks and taking him there means it's a done deal IMO .

I think it is still to be determined. Andy Cox was a 7th round pick last year. His slot $ for that pick was approx $230K. He signed for only $5k. I am guessing that unless the Astros ante up and pay Kyle some good money he will come back and hope for a better year. I would! Andy couldn't because he had no leverage since he was a senior.

Is that guy next to Uek John Cusack?

No, that's not Cusack. Although, in that pic, it looks like him. I have no idea who it is, he hardly talks in the movie and other than the "Major League" franchise, I don't remember him being in any other movies

I think it is still to be determined. Andy Cox was a 7th round pick last year. His slot $ for that pick was approx $230K. He signed for only $5k. I am guessing that unless the Astros ante up and pay Kyle some good money he will come back and hope for a better year. I would! Andy couldn't because he had no leverage since he was a senior.

I am saying that decision is already made and he wouldn't have been picked in the 10th without an agreement already. Tomorrow is when you see players picked with no idea if they sign or not

I am saying that decision is already made and he wouldn't have been picked in the 10th without an agreement already. Tomorrow is when you see players picked with no idea if they sign or not

I think they said all but 2 guys taken in the first 10 rounds signed last year.

VN Store

Back