2017 feels a lot like 1998

You guys should celebrate Josh Dobbs as a Tennessee football legend. In a perfect world, college athletes like Dobbs would be our legends; young people who got an education, obeyed the law, acted with personal responsibility, provided a true role model for kids to admire and emulate.

Obviously, it's far from a perfect world, but there's nothing wrong with celebrating the college career of a young man who worked hard enough to succeed on so many fronts.

You want D4H? You can ****ing have him. Please, take him to your website and both of you leave us alone.

Reactions: 5 people
Have u ever looked at the talent on that 98 team. Al Wilson, Price, Clifton, Lewis, Henry, Deon Grant and Ellis all were drafted and made pro bowls. Tee Martin, Coleman, Ced Wilson, Raynoch Thompson, Goodrich, Bryson and Darwin Walker were all drafted and played multiple years in the NFL, except for Goodrich, who had legal troubles. John Henderson, who had pro bowl years and at the least an 8 year career was a prop 48 and couldn't play on that team. I hope UT has that kind of talent on the 2017 team, but I doubt it.

Pay no attention to him, he’s a proven tool. Trying for attention:snoring:

Pay no attention to him, he’s a proven tool. Trying for attention:snoring:

He may be a tool, but he is correct in his statement. I agree with him. We may have these caliber of players on our team, but they have not yet been turned loose. Maybe that can/will happen in 2018. We will know around Christmas time.

I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

Yeah good thing you gave up that "wishful thinking"...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I know I said we could be in for another year like 1998 last season. But that was mostly wishful thinking. There really weren't many parallels between 2016 and 1998. I just wanted Dobbs, Sutton, Barnett, Hurd, Kamara, and JRM to go out as champions. If we're being honest, this year resembles 1998 a lot more than last year. In 2016 we were highly touted. We were the favorites to win the East and were even considered a dark horse playoff team. And we still had our legendary senior QB on the team. That's very different from 1998 when we had just lost our legendary senior QB. We were not expected to win the East let alone contend for a national championship.

When I look at 2017, it starts to look a lot like 1998. (1) We no longer have the legendary Josh Dobbs just as we no longer had the legendary Peyton Manning in 1998. (2) We have a long losing streak to Alabama that most feel we have no chance of breaking. In 1998 we had a long losing streak to Florida and most didn't feel we could beat them either. (3) We are being severely underrated by the media. Nobody expects us to win the East let alone compete for a national championship. (4) And like 1998, we still have a ton of talent on campus that is hungry and motivated to prove themselves.

Guys the saying that "this feels like 98" has never been more appropriate. I really think we are in for a special season. We're gonna shock a lot of people with how good we are.

Ridiculous...

How could you be so wrong??

Everyone knew 2017 was going to be a step back. Well, except you obviously.

Reactions: 1 person
Ridiculous...

How could you be so wrong??

Everyone knew 2017 was going to be a step back. Well, except you obviously.

I think that was the point. Just like 1998, no proven QB, that's how it was. Tee played good enough to win a NC. Was he perfect? Not even close. Did he get much help? Tons by many players.

We had 3 QBs given the chance to be special. None were. Yet. All 3 have the talent to be top QBs. Will they work to perfect their craft? I expect they will. I think they realize they weren't working hard enough last year. You get what you get when you lollygag.

Figure it out CJP.

If I had to guess the 2018 season will be more like 1978 than 1998. The start of the long road back after going 4-7 in the 1977 season. Here's the 1978 record

G Date Pts Opp W L T Strk
1 Sep 16, 1978 Tennessee (9) UCLA Pac-10 0 13 0 1 0 L 1
2 Sep 23, 1978 Tennessee Oregon State 13 13 0 1 1 T 1
3 Sep 30, 1978 Tennessee @ Auburn 10 29 0 2 1 L 1
4 Oct 7, 1978 Tennessee Army Ind 31 13 1 2 1 W 1
5 Oct 21, 1978 Tennessee (4) Alabama 17 30 1 3 1 L 1
6 Oct 28, 1978 Tennessee Mississippi State 21 34 1 4 1 L 2
7 Nov 4, 1978 Tennessee Duke 34 0 2 4 1 W 1
8 Nov 11, 1978 Tennessee @(14) Notre Dame 14 31 2 5 1 L 1
9 Nov 18, 1978 Tennessee Ole Miss 41 17 3 5 1 W 1
10 Nov 25, 1978 Tennessee Kentucky 29 14 4 5 1 W 2
11 Dec 2, 1978 Tennessee @ Vanderbilt 41 15 5 5 1 W 3

Agree. If he surprises us and develops into an elite QB, it would up his status.

One more thing: Manning is the Legend that he is LARGELY due to his success in the bigs.

It doesn't hurt to excel in the NFL and it made him who is nation wide. For UT fans" the moment he held a press conference where he said he was coming back for his senior year, legend status was achieved.

why are you so obsessed with D4H....he was wrong, so are 99% of us on this thread. Have fun with it, this isn't court. It's supposed to be an escape, some of yall really need to chill

why are you so obsessed with D4H....he was wrong, so are 99% of us on this thread. Have fun with it, this isn't court. It's supposed to be an escape, some of yall really need to chill

because it makes them feel just a wee bit smarter.......

I won't bump another thread, but check out D4H's assessment of Bama's 2017 freshman class...

And that freshmen class for Alabama looks terrible.

He said that on 10/22/17. I can't help but think this comment is the reason the CFPNCG ended the way it did.

And, on that last play of the national title game, the one where Alabama won the 2017 College Football National Championship, didn’t Bama have a true freshman (from the class of 2017) left OT protecting a true freshman (from the class of 2017) QB who ran play action with a true freshman (from the class of 2017) RB, before throwing the game winning touchdown pass to a true freshman (from the class of 2017) WR??

Ummm, this IS the way a lot of us “chill” on VN....by throwing his erroneous words back at the most obnoxious, arrogant, self-righteous, condescending arse on this site. It ain’t that big a deal, and surely ain’t hard to do.

Reactions: 3 people
And, on that last play of the national title game, the one where Alabama won the 2017 College Football National Championship, didn’t Bama have a true freshman (from the class of 2017) left OT protecting a true freshman (from the class of 2017) QB who ran play action with a true freshman (from the class of 2017) RB, before throwing the game winning touchdown pass to a true freshman (from the class of 2017) WR??

I’m not sure what D4H was watching. It was possibly Saban’s best class at Bama

VN Store

Back