2016 SEC MLB Draft Thread

Why isn't he coming to UT? The article said he had signed a baseball only scholarship for us.

You'd have to ask Bruin...I assume when someone says what Bruin is saying that it's grades. I don't think it's a secret because GPA's and ACT scores are posted at PG, don't know how accurate/up to date they are...

I will guess grades is what Bruin is referring to.

You'd have to ask Bruin...I assume when someone says what Bruin is saying that it's grades. I don't think it's a secret because GPA's and ACT scores are posted at PG, don't know how accurate/up to date they are...

Well, there went our best recruit for 2017. Now, we're going to be even worse than 2016. :eek:hmy:

And the one posted on his profile won't cut it.

How often does grades affect a baseball recruit not getting in?

The information on his Perfect Game profile would have him as a non-qualifier on the border of not even being eligible to practice.

A non-qualifier in an equivalency sport will have a hard time getting in.

Also, Carter is already 19+ on draft day 2016. So he might be ineligible to play as a freshman, and eligible for the draft after his sophomore year. Short window to contribute, and only if he has a decent freshman year in the classroom.

There's two major considerations when it comes to MLB teams drafting. One is their management. How is the organization run? Do they give players fair chances in making it to the MLB level? Do they make the right decisions about moving players up & down or make the right trades based on logic?

The other consideration is depth or players in the minor league system. Does the MLB teams minors have enough depth at the position they draft? It has nothing to do with the MLB club level depth at the time of the draft. It's whether the players drafted have a better chance of advancing through the minors because of depth issues or players just not good enough already as starters.

Those are the two main things to consider in drafting a player. To me, I said Senzel would fit better at #6 when in reality he would be better off with going #9 to Detroit which is a much better run organization than the A's. Then, you bring up the money difference though. Yes, big drop-off in pay the further you fall down the draft board.

If Senzel was drafted by the A's at #6 he would be looking at around $4.5 million probably. The Tigers at #9 like you said falls off to ~$3-$3.5 million range. The Reds take him at #2 then yes he's looking at major bucks. $7 million+ wouldn't be out of the question.

Of these 3 teams though as far as being better off he would fit better with the Tigers because of their management & minors. He would be losing an awful lot of money though & I'm sure he doesn't want that.

I would love to see my Braves draft him at #3 overall. That would still be really good money. However, the Braves management is in shambles. They have the top minor league system in MLB in terms of players.

May take him longer to get to the bigs being drafted by the Braves but they way we are I woudn't want him to go there because of the situation. I want him to go to a team that gives him the best overall chance to make it to the MLB club.

As great as it would be for him to end up with the A's and play in my neck of the woods, I would rather him go somewhere else as long as Lew Wolff is owner. He is a miser and has been unable to get a new ballpark built. They play in the worst stadium in pro sports and draw very small crowds. I will be there tomorrow hoping the sewer lines do not back up yet again.

They do always have a lot of talent in their system. There is one plus for Senzel if he is drafted by the A's, once a player makes it to Oakland and shows signs of being a star, they trade him to a postseason contender.

Reactions: 1 person
And the one posted on his profile won't cut it.

Why would anyone post their GPA and test(s) score on the Perfect Game site unless they were looking to be recruited by D3 type schools with high academic standards and virtually non-existent recruiting budgets.

I don't frequent PG much anymore however it seems that most guys post nothing regarding their academic success or lack of.....hopefully the information is wrong.

As great as it would be for him to end up with the A's and play in my neck of the woods, I would rather him go somewhere else as long as Lew Wolff is owner. He is a miser and has been unable to get a new ballpark built. They play in the worst stadium in pro sports and draw very small crowds. I will be there tomorrow hoping the sewer lines do not back up yet again.

They do always have a lot of talent in their system. There is one plus for Senzel if he is drafted by the A's, once a player makes it to Oakland and shows signs of being a star, they trade him to a postseason contender.

Yeah, that's why I said Senzel would be better off with the Tigers instead of the A's or Reds or my Braves.

A kicker in the T Carter situation is that the new, tighter academic eligibility rules kick in for new students who begin college classes after August 16 this year.

When do UT fall classes start? You guessed it. August 17.

Short version is that his posted test scores will keep him from playing. His posted GPA will keep him from practicing if it slips at all. And that assumes he took the right classes in high school.

A kicker in the T Carter situation is that the new, tighter academic eligibility rules kick in for new students who begin college classes after August 16 this year.

When do UT fall classes start? You guessed it. August 17.

Short version is that his posted test scores will keep him from playing. His posted GPA will keep him from practicing if it slips at all. And that assumes he took the right classes in high school.

Show me

Those rules are for the 2016 class not just that specific day is the way I understand it

VN Store

Back