2014 Georgia Forward Phil Cofer

Reminds me a little of a young Dyron Nix with his leaping ability.

Cant believe none of these young bucks gave you any love for the Dyron Nix comparison! Well done sir.

And he already has a head start on the Dyron hairdoo.

He shaved the fro...I was hoping it was gonna reach Ben Wallace level

dang it man!@!! his video also reminded me of Chris Porter. Remember this cat. I watched the sweet 16/elite 8(I think it was) at TBA, and this dude was one of the nastiest amongst Scooty Penn, Michael Redd, Stevie Franchise & the player formerly known as Ron Artest.

442 × 575 - sportsillustrated

I'm honestly not sure. I don't follow it closely enough. It's just a gut feeling I have.

Cofer just retweeted and favorited a tweet that said something about his "He just wants to make a statement" tweet was about Tennessee.

:)

Edit: sorry for the confusing wording

April 30, 2013
Hoops Vols chasing 'legacy' recruit
Rob Lewis
VolQuest.com Associate Editor

Talk about it in The General's Quarters
There's been a great deal of talk about 'legacies' on the football side of the recruiting equation in the 2014 class from the Tennessee perspective, prospects with family ties to the school or program. To a lesser degree, the basketball side of things is also pursuing a 'legacy' recruit, Philip Cofer, the son of former Vol linebacker Mike Cofer.

Cofer (6-foot-8, 205 pounds) is from Fayetteville, Ga. and has been holding a Tennessee offer since last fall.

The Vols' interest is based on much more than simply family ties. An active and athletic post player, Cofer has caught the eye of most of the programs in the SEC as he heads into the final summer before his senior year.

With the current level of interest swirling around him, Cofer indicated that he's not quite ready to claim a firm list of finalists.

"I had kind of narrowed it down earlier, but now I feel like I need to wait a little bit, probably until the end of the summer before I cut it down," Cofer said. "Right now I would say I'm open, not ready to make any kind of a decision."

Tennessee looks to have put themselves in good position to be in Cofer's final group when the time comes. And it's not simply because of the family connection he has to the university or the town.

No doubt, that connection doesn't hurt the Vols' chances, but in looking at things in purely basketball terms, Cofer sees plenty to like about the program.

"Coach Martin, that's the biggest thing that has me interested. I feel like he's going to some big things there. There's a real family feel around their program and I think that starts with coach Martin," Cofer observed.

"I've been there with my family before and been up there for camp. The facilities, the arena, all that stuff is great. It really stands out, but I would say my relationship with coach Martin is the biggest thing right now."

In addition to Tennessee; Alabama, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami and Cincinnati are among the programs that offered.

Cofer relayed that the Vols along with Georgia, Alabama and Auburn all made school visits this past week. Tennessee's staff was also in obvious evidence courtside at Cofer's games with the Georgia Stars summer team at this past weekend's NIKE EYBL event in Hampton, Va.

That kind of effort, along with his familiarity with the program, has Tennessee in contention, but the Vols still have some work to do in order to snag what would be a nice piece of the post-puzzle in the 2014 class.

"Things are going pretty good as far as recruiting and Tennessee. I hear from them a lot, and I've still got a lot of family up there. They've been talking to me for a long time and I like them a lot," Cofer offered.

"Like I said though, I'm still open right now. My dad has made sure to let me know that this was my decision and he wasn't going to interfere with things. He just wants me to be happy and comfortable with my decision."

Rivals.com rates Cofer as a three-star prospect and the No. 141 overall player in the nation.

-VQ

Don't be shocked when you see him jump to a 4 star and in the top 50. Heard his stock has been rising a lot lately! Fwiw he is alway referencing the vols as "us" on twitter :)

“@LifeisDeep_: Vols��”

Oh yea!

T5zuD.gif

Elsewhere, Tennessee does seem to be in very good shape with 'legacy' recruit Phillip Cofer from Fayetteville, Ga. He's a popular prospect with lots of SEC schools right now, and Miami is a school to watch as well. However, his family ties along with an early offer and lots of follow up from Martin & Co. have the Vols in the thick of things.

-VQ

After watching his tape how he is considered only a three star. He has a lot of talent very quick and agile has a lot of jumping ability and even more important a lot of hair makes him look a lot taller.

Do we really need another undersized post? Is he strong and skilled enough to make up for his lack of size. I have never seen him play. We need more 6'10 and up post. 6'7 , 6'8 is SF size.

Do we really need another undersized post? Is he strong and skilled enough to make up for his lack of size. I have never seen him play. We need more 6'10 and up post. 6'7 , 6'8 is SF size.

You realize this is college and not nba right, 6'8" SF aren't very common in college. Cofer is a forward, is 6'8" and can jump, not sure what you're complaining about.

You realize this is college and not nba right, 6'8" SF aren't very common in college. Cofer is a forward, is 6'8" and can jump, not sure what you're complaining about.

He is undersized. Now if he is super talented he can make up for it. We have had plenty of post that size that can jump and none were dominate on O or D. We need someone 6'10 or taller down low to at least be a real shot blocking presence. I'm just saying unless he is just a terrific talent 6'7 or 6'8 is not what we need down low to get us deep in the NCAA. Most teams I see every year in the tournament have size. We have messed up before trying to turn SFs in to post players. People want to do that with Reese when he is clearly a SF.

He is undersized. Now if he is super talented he can make up for it. We have had plenty of post that size that can jump and none were dominate on O or D. We need someone 6'10 or taller down low to at least be a real shot blocking presence. I'm just saying unless he is just a terrific talent 6'7 or 6'8 is not what we need down low to get us deep in the NCAA. Most teams I see every year in the tournament have size. We have messed up before trying to turn SFs in to post players. People want to do that with Reese when he is clearly a SF.

6'8/205 is not undersized for an NCAA PF. Here's some info from the OP:
Cofer is very athletic power forward that excels in transition. He is an above the rim finisher, high level rebounder and shot blocker. His defense is ahead of his offense but as his skills develop his game will go to the next level because he has great upside.
No reason to worry about size.

He'a not going to play center, Atleast not primarily. You keep talking as if he's gonna be a center, he's gonna be a PF. Take a look around the college game, most teams don't have PFs who are 6'9"+, and the majority that are are three point shooter(wiltjer/Murphy), not the down low presence like you mention.

VN Store

Back