2013 TN PG Darius Thompson

Why? They are about the same caliber player.

I don't keep up with recruiting like some on here do but if Stallings liked this guy as a PG then I think I would lean toward him. Say what you want about Stallings, he usually does a good job if finding talent.

I don't keep up with recruiting like some on here do but if Stallings liked this guy as a PG then I think I would lean toward him. Say what you want about Stallings, he usually does a good job if finding talent.

Apparently Thompson wasn't going to play point at Vandy. From Meyer:

Just talked w Darius Thompson. Wants to play point guard right away and doesn't see it happening at Vanderbilt. Story on 247Sports coming.

Just talked w Darius Thompson. Wants to play point guard right away and doesn't see it happening at Vanderbilt. Story on 247Sports coming.

Hmmm. Yeah I can see that in there now.

Personally if Landry can play without turning it over and defend against quick PG's I am sold on him. There should be plenty of guys who can score on next years team. Then go get a dynamic PG in 2014.

Can someone give me a real early best guess lineup for next year? Thanks

If UT brings no one in and no one leaves:

PG- Golden/Hubbs/Landry
SG- McRae/Moore
SF- Richardson/Hubbs/Cheivous
PF- Maymon/Reese/Davis/Edwards
C- Stokes/Makanjoula

I would expect the rotation would be Golden, McRae, Richardson, Maymon, Stokes, Hubbs, Moore, Reese, Makanjoula

Hmmm. Yeah I can see that in there now.

Personally if Landry can play without turning it over and defend against quick PG's I am sold on him. There should be plenty of guys who can score on next years team. Then go get a dynamic PG in 2014.

I'm in full agreement. I also think (personally) Hubbs can play backup PG. Reports say he has a good handle. Hubbs can give you a PG for 8-10 minutes a night.

I'm in full agreement. I also think (personally) Hubbs can play backup PG. Reports say he has a good handle. Hubbs can give you a PG for 8-10 minutes a night.

Not to mention Maymon is back next year. He is very good at breaking a press, directing traffic on offense, and facilitating for others.

Not to mention Maymon is back next year. He is very good at breaking a press, directing traffic on offense, and facilitating for others.

I, personally, would just let the recruiting season go by and wait for 2014 unless you can get a guaranteed starter at PG for 2014 (and UT has some options for 2014). I'm happy with the current roster for next year.

Holy cow I thought tre was a SR... well, we may be competing in the SEC next year with maymon back IMO

This team will be elite next year with baby Wade and Maymon back. I have seen Hubbs multiple times and you will see a young DWade with a better jump shot. Landry is an elite defender with a high basketball IQ. Guarding opposition PG or guards will not be an issue.
The jump shot will come after this staff works with him.

The way I read that didn't imply he wouldn't play PG. It implied that he wouldn't play immediately. I think this decision is more about immediate PT than his actual position. Maybe he sees a quicker path to immediate PT at UT as Golden's backup for one year vs Kedron Johnson's for two years?

I could be wrong though.

The way I read that didn't imply he wouldn't play PG. It implied that he wouldn't play immediately. I think this decision is more about immediate PT than his actual position. Maybe he sees a quicker path to immediate PT at UT as Golden's backup for one year vs Kedron Johnson's for two years?

I could be wrong though.

That's what I took from it.

I could be wrong though.

Has there been any indication that he or TN is interested?

While it's hard to imagine a true freshman playing much, especially with a talented roster, I think Thompson has a chance to play a few minutes next year behind Golden. That is, if he is better than Landry. We don't have anyone behind Golden, and I still contend that Golden needs to be at the 2 for more minutes. Golden has been brilliant the last 2 games, but he is still not consistent at the PG position.

We have a great problem next year with our depth. I am a little concerned about 2014, but we cross that bridge when it comes.

Again, if I was Martin, I'd be done for 2013, give Landry a shot to win the backup PG. If not, give it to Hubbs/McRae and go with that. Martin has basically five guaranteed spots through the 1-3 spots (Golden, McRae, Richardson, Hubbs, Moore) and either Reese or Chevious can play the 3 if you want to go deep.

Has there been any indication that he or TN is interested?

Well, I think Tennessee is obviously interested. Martin has spent a good deal of time on him lately, and he has an offer. Thompson's interest in Tennessee is speculative. He committed to Vandy rather quickly after receiving their offer. Tennessee stayed in contact, and he has since decommitted from Vandy, supposedly due to wanting to play PG, or wanting immediate minutes at PG, depending on how you read Jerry Meyer's tweet.

Again, if I was Martin, I'd be done for 2013, give Landry a shot to win the backup PG. If not, give it to Hubbs/McRae and go with that. Martin has basically five guaranteed spots through the 1-3 spots (Golden, McRae, Richardson, Hubbs, Moore) and either Reese or Chevious can play the 3 if you want to go deep.

If unconfirmed rumors are true, or even possible, that Landry may go to prep school for a year, I think you take Thompson if he has indicated privately to the staff his desire to come to UT.

Indications are, we're done for 2013.
I'd judge Landry by his BJ days and the career move to Huntington a mistake.

I coach basketball in Rutherford County. I have seen him play a number of times. He is a tremendous basketball player. Very skilled. Very smart player. High basketball IQ. Good vision as a passer. Good athlete, with good size for the PG position. He is, however, not an elite athlete. Does not mean he wont succeed. Just letting you know what to expect when you see him.

Not tryin to sound argumentative but I didnt think CJ Watson was an elite athlete. I would take a CJW in every class though

Indications are, we're done for 2013.
I'd judge Landry by his BJ days and the career move to Huntington a mistake.

You may be right, but if (again I stress "IF") the staff thinks there is a chance Landry doesn't end up here next year, for whatever reason, then you take Thompson.

I'm not attempting to pass judgement on Landry either by suggesting this either. I have seen Huntington Prep play in person several times this year. He is not utilized in that offense once the ball crosses halfcourt. Their offense is clearly focused on highlighting Wiggins and Rathan-Mayes. Not fair to judge Landry off of that, and I agree, he should be judged on his time at Bob Jones HS. Practicing against those guys, and facing the competition he faces playing HP will only better prepare him for college ball, so I'm not sure it should be labeled a mistake, but your point is noted.

This team will be elite next year with baby Wade and Maymon back. I have seen Hubbs multiple times and you will see a young DWade with a better jump shot. Landry is an elite defender with a high basketball IQ. Guarding opposition PG or guards will not be an issue.
The jump shot will come after this staff works with him.

I have seen Robert several times and he is not anywhere near ready to play PG in D1. I would hate for them to try this and take away his development at SG. Look what it did to McRae when Golden was out and/or struggling. I hate to see elite talent moved around just put them where they belong and let them go.

You may be right, but if (again I stress "IF") the staff thinks there is a chance Landry doesn't end up here next year, for whatever reason, then you take Thompson.

I'm not attempting to pass judgement on Landry either by suggesting this either. I have seen Huntington Prep play in person several times this year. He is not utilized in that offense once the ball crosses halfcourt. Their offense is clearly focused on highlighting Wiggins and Rathan-Mayes. Not fair to judge Landry off of that, and I agree, he should be judged on his time at Bob Jones HS. Practicing against those guys, and facing the competition he faces playing HP will only better prepare him for college ball, so I'm not sure it should be labeled a mistake, but your point is noted.

What are the reason's, other than grades, that he wouldnt come. I have read other posters mentioning this...

VN Store

Back