2013 PG Emmanuel Owootoah

It's a mystery for sure. I'm starting to think Cuonzo values (perceived) toughness over skill. That might explain Washpun and Landry over Hickey and others. That strategy would be okay if he were a renowned teacher of skills, but as far as I can tell, he isn't. Once he gets them here, he focuses on even more toughness - weight vests, having them charge into each other full speed in practice - and defense. When he talks about skills, it is seemingly all on the player - "they have to get shots up" or "if you are guard, you should be able to handle the ball." If you aren't going to teach skills, you better recruit them, then make the skilled guys tough. Better that than recruiting tough guys and relying on them to teach the skills to themselves.

I agree. It seems as if he recruits in hopes that kids have already been taught skills and fundamentals, and he focuses less time on those aspects. Perhaps it is why we see little development in players skill level. If he is relying on the kids to pursue skill improvement on an individual level, he better be recruiting kids with unprecedented levels of self-motivation. I also would prefer to not hear him talk about players needing to make plays if he indeed isn't dedicating significant time to teaching offensive skills.

Tracy Webster is at his game as we speak...Kansas is also getting into the mix and will be in to see him next week.

So UCLA,UCONN, Arizona and Kansas are recruiting him...yea I'd say he's a take.

I'm with you BTO. Anyone that says he's not a take with those schools looking at him is nucking futs.

So what if one video from his junior year was not that impressive. If these schools want to talk with him, we should be all over him. We BADLY need a PG for next season. Not sold on Landry yet.

Idk WTF the staff is doing. Appears we won't be offering elder and nobody has shown back up to watch Owootoah (Martin was supposed to). Next years team has the chance to be really good, but without adding a PG will be somewhat limited again.

Idk WTF the staff is doing. Appears we won't be offering elder and nobody has shown back up to watch Owootoah (Martin was supposed to). Next years team has the chance to be really good, but without adding a PG will be somewhat limited again.

Difficult as it may be for you and me to understand, I think we increasingly have to consider the likelihood that Cuonzo really doesn't value a "true" PG. He's said he doesn't need a "true" PG to run his offense and he clearly wants a guy like the combo out of Murfreesboro over players like Jorgenson and Owootoah. He seems to be making an effort at JaQuan Lyle, but Lyle is really a 6-4 combo who has good passing skills, not a press breaking, quick ball handler.

Difficult as it may be for you and me to understand, I think we increasingly have to consider the likelihood that Cuonzo really doesn't value a "true" PG. He's said he doesn't need a "true" PG to run his offense and he clearly wants a guy like the combo out of Murfreesboro over players like Jorgenson and Owootoah. He seems to be making an effort at JaQuan Lyle, but Lyle is really a 6-4 combo who has good passing skills, not a press breaking, quick ball handler.

You're probably right. Martin is still talking to Thompson and that appears to be the guy that he wants...who knows.

You're probably right. Martin is still talking to Thompson and that appears to be the guy that he wants...who knows.

Call me crazy but I think we would be crazy not to put the full court press on this guy. I just live about hour and half from Hazard. Thinking about going and checking him out.

That's another thing I find odd. Martin has talked about not recruiting kids who are committed to other schools. That was the reason he wouldn't even let Montay Brandon take an official visit to Tennessee after he committed to FSU. Yet, Martin wants this Thompson so bad, he's willing to violate his "code." I get the young man is a decent prospect, but it's not like he's a superstar in the making. For a guy who seems so cautious, Cuonzo apparently makes snap decisions, positive and negative, about recruits and - once he's decided he wants you - he will not be persuaded otherwise.

Which part, the 10 assists in a high school game?

Here's the thing with that video, its all from one game. Usually these videos are highlights from a bunch of games, that video was one game.

That's also from his junior year...the fact Arizona and UCLA wants him tells me all I need to know.

/sarcasm We have such great judges of basketball talent on this site... /sarcasm off
The schools he has gained interest from alone should be a clue to some that their talent scout ability leaves something to be desired.

That's another thing I find odd. Martin has talked about not recruiting kids who are committed to other schools. That was the reason he wouldn't even let Montay Brandon take an official visit to Tennessee after he committed to FSU. Yet, Martin wants this Thompson so bad, he's willing to violate his "code." I get the young man is a decent prospect, but it's not like he's a superstar in the making. For a guy who seems so cautious, Cuonzo apparently makes snap decisions, positive and negative, about recruits and - once he's decided he wants you - he will not be persuaded otherwise.

I think Thompson will be a solid SEC player, but I'm not sure he's the answer at PG. this staff does seem convinced they don't need a PG in their system, and that worries me, especially after the issues we've had this year.

I think Thompson will be a solid SEC player, but I'm not sure he's the answer at PG. this staff does seem convinced they don't need a PG in their system, and that worries me, especially after the issues we've had this year.

It worries me too.

You would think the staff would be doing everything they can to find a pure PG, but right now that doesn't seem to be the case. Thompson is a good player but the last thing we need is another combo guard on our roster.

Once again, I agree with you BTO. We have had a horrible time handling the ball down the court at times. I believe we need a good PG, and as I stated earlier, I am not sold on Landry. I don't know wtf happened to Golden, but he has looked like a completely different player this year. Maybe Thompson can help us out.

Don't we only have room for one more?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back