2013 PG Emmanuel Owootoah

Hope that's just a courtesy to Rodrick Rhodes. However, Cal (dang him) values the PG position as much as any coach in the game today. That's one of the reasons he always has one and our last two guys (both Pearl and Cuonzo) have a hard time finding one.

“@TheRoadtoRupp: NC State called Cordia point guard Emmanuel Owootoah today at school. Plays tonight at home vs LCC and FSU, UCONN planning to attend.”

“@AdamZagoria: UK asst Orlando Antigua called to check in on 2013 PG Emmanuel Owootoah, Cordia (KY) coach Rodrick Rhodes confirmed to @SNYtv .”

Wow, UK getting involved.

Claims to have a tennessee offer, as well as offers from UCLA and San Francisco. Recently reclassified to 2013, Cuonzo and staff are expected to be in KY Wednesday to check him out. Has received interest from schools like Arizona, Villanova and Baylor since reclassifying.

article from 1/14/13 on Emmanuel:

Canadian Point Guard Owootoah Sparking Interest (UPDATED) | ZagsBlog.com

Video:

Emmanuel Owootoah - MCI Bears AAA Division Quarter-Finals Highlights (HD) - YouTube

Rodrick Rhodes is coaching HS basketball. That's what hit me the most out of that article.

Counzo and staff have slow played a lot of guys, especially point guards. They did that to Anthony Hickey, then decided to go with Wes Washpun after Hickey decided to go with LSU and we saw how that has turned out. This guy is blowing up and Tennessee should have offered and started a relationship with hiM to get ahead of the pack. Now they will just end up being another team when they finally offer because a bunch of high major teams will offer and Tennessee will be grouped in with them. More than likely another miss for Counzo.

Met someone today who claims to have seen this kid play this season. Claims the best part of his game, that really hasn't been mentioned, is that the kid is unpressable. Takes full court press out of the equation.

Any of you guys know anything about this kid? Do we have any "insiders" here on the basketball side?

Met someone today who claims to have seen this kid play this season. Claims the best part of his game, that really hasn't been mentioned, is that the kid is unpressable. Takes full court press out of the equation.

Any of you guys know anything about this kid? Do we have any "insiders" here on the basketball side?

That alone would be worth about 16 points/game.

The guy is lightning quick and is low to the ground, VERY hard to press. I really don't understand why we aren't pushing as hard as we possibly can right now for this kid...it's beyond frustrating.

Claims to have a tennessee offer, as well as offers from UCLA and San Francisco. Recently reclassified to 2013, Cuonzo and staff are expected to be in KY Wednesday to check him out. Has received interest from schools like Arizona, Villanova and Baylor since reclassifying.

article from 1/14/13 on Emmanuel:

Canadian Point Guard Owootoah Sparking Interest (UPDATED) | ZagsBlog.com

Video:

Emmanuel Owootoah - MCI Bears AAA Division Quarter-Finals Highlights (HD) - YouTube

He looks about the same size as Brandon Lopez and certainly doesn't look ready for the SEC.

He looks about the same size as Brandon Lopez and certainly doesn't look ready for the SEC.

Damn, maybe you should call UCLA, Missouri, UCONN, NC STATE, Florida State (just to name a few) and tell them not to waste their time, because they've all been sending coaches to see him.

We sure couldn't use Anthony Hickey or Fabyon Harris right now, they're just too damn short to be good...oh wait?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it appears Cuonzo is hung up on height, too.

Damn, maybe you should call UCLA, Missouri, UCONN, NC STATE, Florida State (just to name a few) and tell them not to waste their time, because they've all been sending coaches to see him.

We sure couldn't use Anthony Hickey or Fabyon Harris right now, they're just too damn short to be good...oh wait?

Unfortunately, it appears Cuonzo is hung up on height, too.

Yea I know. Word is he's still pursuing Thompson, WHY? I just don't get it, it's by far my biggest frustration I have with him. If he fails to add a quick, good ball handling guard next years team will be limited.

Hickey is a good mid major back up according to VN experts.

As for short PGs Washpun was 6' and Landry is lucky to be 6' so maybe he's ok with the shorter guys...I just really hope he AtTLEAST tries for owootoah.

As for short PGs Washpun was 6' and Landry is lucky to be 6' so maybe he's ok with the shorter guys...I just really hope he AtTLEAST tries for owootoah.

It's a mystery for sure. I'm starting to think Cuonzo values (perceived) toughness over skill. That might explain Washpun and Landry over Hickey and others. That strategy would be okay if he were a renowned teacher of skills, but as far as I can tell, he isn't. Once he gets them here, he focuses on even more toughness - weight vests, having them charge into each other full speed in practice - and defense. When he talks about skills, it is seemingly all on the player - "they have to get shots up" or "if you are guard, you should be able to handle the ball." If you aren't going to teach skills, you better recruit them, then make the skilled guys tough. Better that than recruiting tough guys and relying on them to teach the skills to themselves.

VN Store

Back