2009 early BIG board

I think alot of this board is in a state of denial (much like Fulmer continuing as our coach) regarding the future impact of Saban. As a lifelong TN fan I hate to say it, but ya'll are grasping at straws. We are in major trouble and desperately need Fulmer to devise an alternative recruiting strategy for the foreseeable future. You are crazy if you think Saban isn't going to continue to sign top 5 recruiting classes.
A) The "lots of good players one year ahead argument" is fairly rational in nature, but it is completely unproven and reeks of desperation. For example, Urban Meyer hasn't had that problem with his three consecutive years of top 5 recruiting classes. While lots of prospects want the easy road to playing time, the top recruits (which AL and FL are getting) are confident enough in their own abilities to think they can beat someone out. Perhaps at certain positions this scenario would exist, but I just don't see it as a whole.
B) What in Saban's college football coaching history makes you think he EVER won't be successful at recruiting? From what I hear (not completely sure on this), he has had a #1 recruiting class every single year he has coached. For whatever reason (probably b/c all a high school kid wants is endless lies pumping up his ego along with an Escalade), recruits today love Saban and want to play for him. They want to get to the NFL and they know having a high profile coach like Saban is the way to go.
C) Kids want to play for a flashy, arrogant coach who plays exciting football and demands the very best of his players. This is one of the major reasons why Fulmer needs to go. His methods are outdated, he no longer can inspire his player, and his talent development is among the worst in the nation. Give me one good reason you would want to play for Coach Fulmer RIGHT NOW, being too young to know of TN's glory in the 90's.

Sorry this post is long, but we are starting to sound as delusional as KY, AL, and Vandy fans have been the past decade. Fulmer no longer has the intensity and drive to steer the ship of a national powerhouse. Even our awesome class last year cited Cutcliffe and Taylor as reasons to come to the school more than Fulmer. Mix that with a couple of lifelong Vol fans, and we were able to bang out one good class. A solid performance this year and development of an offensive juggernaut would certainly help, but we are in the beginning parts of a major recruiting war that is going to leave a few programs in the south as casualties before all is said and done.

B) What in Saban's college football coaching history makes you think he EVER won't be successful at recruiting? From what I hear (not completely sure on this), he has had a #1 recruiting class every single year he has coached. For whatever reason (probably b/c all a high school kid wants is endless lies pumping up his ego along with an Escalade), recruits today love Saban and want to play for him. They want to get to the NFL and they know having a high profile coach like Saban is the way to go.

you heard wrong

Man how old is answering the same fallacies?

phi0129, Alabama had a banner year for instate talent this year and usually outperforms Tn with last year being an exception to the rule.

Florida routinely produces over 40 4*and 5* players. GA 20-30. Last year was Tn's best year in the last 5 according to Rivals... 10 4* and 5* recruits.

Plenty of highly rated kids wanted to play for Fulmer last year, right? So suddenly based on an off year and a great year for Saban a new rule prevails?

Good grief. Take about 5 steps back and look at the big picture. There should be standards and a timeline for CPF to perform... and it shouldn't have one thing to do with anything in your post.

you heard wrong

Saban is a good recruiter but then again most of his top talent this year came from Alabama and it always came from LA when he was at LSU.

CPF's other coaching skills may be questionable to greater or lesser degrees... but his ability to bring talent to UT with so little instate talent is pretty incredible.

I'd like to see someone who has done more with less with respect to recruiting without instate talent.

BTW, I think CPF is shifting focus some. He picked up Drayton with ties to FL and GA. He pulled in all those guys with Va and mid-Atlantic ties.

Saban is a good recruiter but then again most of his top talent this year came from Alabama and it always came from LA when he was at LSU.

CPF's other coaching skills may be questionable to greater or lesser degrees... but his ability to bring talent to UT with so little instate talent is pretty incredible.

I'd like to see someone who has done more with less with respect to recruiting without instate talent.

BTW, I think CPF is shifting focus some. He picked up Drayton with ties to FL and GA. He pulled in all those guys with Va and mid-Atlantic ties.
Thats not completely true. Sure, most of his talent came from in-state(like most schools), but he got some great talent out of Alabama, especially Mobile, when he coached LSU.
By the way, most of the great talent Bama got this year was from the Mobile area.

ROLL TIDE !!!!

Easton, what are you saying isn't completely true?

All you have to do is go to Rivals. They have the signing classes for all the schools going back to at least 2002. Saban HAS benefited from instate talent both at LSU and AL. His recruiting ranking has every bit as much to do with the fact that AL had a very good year for talent as it does with his ability to recruit.

Since I was already looking... 2008 was the best year for HS talent since at least 2002 in Alabama with 16 4-5* recruits.

The one thing you can give Saban credit for is that Auburn didn't take the lion's share like they did in 2006 when the state produced 14.

You can't tell what I was referring to when I said that wasn't completely true? Well whatever. All I was aying is he did get SOME good talent from Mobile when he coached at LSU. Mobile is loaded with talent most years.

ROLL TIDE !!!!

No. I can't. Re-read the post. I said several things that could independently be true or false.

Maybe I wasn't completely clear. When he was at LSU, most of his top talent always came from LA. If that is what you are objecting to... it is still a true statement. Again, you can access the recruiting classes for the last 6 years on Rivals.

You said and I quote "most of his talent came from AL and it ALWAYS came from La when he was at LSU". I responded with " thats not completely true" then I said most of his talent came from La but he did get some great players out of Mobile also when he was at LSU.

What in the hell do you not understand about that? They were back-to-back posts. You guys will argue for the sake of arguing....its rediculous.

ROLL TIDE !!!!

I think that Saban recruits in state to keep the boosters happy. After he gets the state wrapped up he moves to the area. So at LSU once he made all the money payers happy, he could take risks and recruit out of state. Thats what he will do here, but it will be hard because the Tide usually Sucks in state, and is being outplayed by Auburn every year. So i think he wont ever have Alabama recruiting, and will go to Tennessee/Georgia/Florida.

I think that Saban recruits in state to keep the boosters happy. After he gets the state wrapped up he moves to the area. So at LSU once he made all the money payers happy, he could take risks and recruit out of state. Thats what he will do here, but it will be hard because the Tide usually Sucks in state, and is being outplayed by Auburn every year. So i think he wont ever have Alabama recruiting, and will go to Tennessee/Georgia/Florida.

I disagree. It will be a yearly toss-up between auburn and bama but they will definitely own the state and of course other SEC teams will get a few pulls every year.

updated Michigan running back Edwin Baker. Stated couldn't wait to hear from TEnnessee as he grew up liking them and wanting to play for them. Good looking prospect.

updated Michigan running back Edwin Baker. Stated couldn't wait to hear from TEnnessee as he grew up liking them and wanting to play for them. Good looking prospect.

It seems like there are alot of out of state kids that grew up Vol fans this year.

What about any kids from S.Carolina?? It seems we have not gotten anybody from there in a long time?

What in the hell do you not understand about that? They were back-to-back posts. You guys will argue for the sake of arguing....its rediculous.

ROLL TIDE !!!!

Wait... You as a bama homer show up here blathering away and want to accuse others of arguing for the sake of arguing?

Add me to the list CPF 6'3" 243 and ready to play linebacker.

David Oku is going to be big-time. I was asking Millwood about him well over a year ago, Oku just started to blow up... A former coach who lives down here was raving about him, saying he's very good, and "NFL-bound".

Wait... You as a bama homer show up here blathering away and want to accuse others of arguing for the sake of arguing?
No, you friggin wait. My 1st post started "no offense fellas". I was respectful. Someone was passing on bad info(easy stuff to find out), so I was just trying to help before you get your hopes up. I keep up with recruiting and when someone has interest in Bama, I get excited.
Blathering??? You must be joking.What I was talking about was easy to understand. I could have been hateful and just asked if you were stupid. Also, I live in East TN, my family loves the Vols and I am an "extended fan". It's a free world with free speech. I can go where I want and say what I want as long as I feel that I am being respectful....and I was.

ROLL TIDE !!!!

David Oku is going to be big-time. I was asking Millwood about him well over a year ago, Oku just started to blow up... A former coach who lives down here was raving about him, saying he's very good, and "NFL-bound".

he'll be productive on the college level. Im not sure he can carry the load 25 times a game yet.

Id much rather get ronnie wingo.

No, you friggin wait.

Is that a non-argumentative way of communicating?

My 1st post started "no offense fellas". I was respectful. Someone was passing on bad info(easy stuff to find out), so I was just trying to help before you get your hopes up. I keep up with recruiting and when someone has interest in Bama, I get excited.
So IOW's you came in with that Bama is superior attitude and didn't even notice it?

I have never been a common UT fan in that I didn't hate Bama... but the more I deal with you non-argumentative and humble Tide fans... the more I'm tempted to develop a dislike for the team.

Blathering??? You must be joking.What I was talking about was easy to understand. I could have been hateful and just asked if you were stupid.
That's a wonderful sentiment from a non-argumentative fan of another team posting on a rivals board.

I made a post that had several things in it. You responded and I asked you to clarify for me what you were objecting to... and now you've become offended.

Also, I live in East TN, my family loves the Vols and I am an "extended fan". It's a free world with free speech. I can go where I want and say what I want as long as I feel that I am being respectful....and I was.

ROLL TIDE !!!!
It isn't a free world and your free speech rights don't extend to a board being paid for by someone else.

You said: "What in the hell do you not understand about that? They were back-to-back posts. You guys will argue for the sake of arguing....its rediculous."

That is an antagonistic statement when a little patience would have done just fine... but instead you pick an argument while accusing me of being argumentative.

BTW, I don't deny the fact that I can be... this just isn't a fight I picked whether I'm right or wrong about the particulars.

he'll be productive on the college level. Im not sure he can carry the load 25 times a game yet.

Id much rather get ronnie wingo.

I'd take Oku over Wingo. Wingo is a big, fast back who has great leg push... Whereas Oku's phenomenal instincts combined with his speed and low center of gravity make him the better prospect [in the long run] IMO.

VN Store

Back