1998 season

2015 vs 1998

Dobbs would slice that defense up. 1998 couldn't handle this weird new style called "up tempo" offense.

On defense Sutton would lock down Price!

28-27.... 2015 the winners.

No joke.

Football and the athletes that play get better every decade.

Don't believe me... look at the size of lineman just 20 years ago compared to now.

The 98 defensive line would absolutely LIVE in the backfield against this 15 team. Dobbs wouldn't make it to halftime before taking a ride on the golf cart . Crazy post is crazy.

Ugh... the only thing Branndon Stewart (and it was spelled with two n's for some reason) insured was that we had to beat a better team in the Fiesta Bowl. After Miami had beaten UCLA, I was at Bailey's sports bar in west Knox with a bar full of people cheering for Kansas St so we wouldn't have to play Florida St in the championship game. Btw, that was an incredible day for college football. Maybe the best ever especially for a Vol fan.

UcLA is cycling back up just like we are. Jim mora has been getting some bigtime recruits. I would like to play them in ktown...not out west though as all my memories of games in California or Oregon are crappy.

Burlsworth stepped on Stoerner's foot which made him trip. Billy Ratliff had blown up Burlsworth causing him to step back and onto Stoerner's foot. There was some luck that Stoerner didn't just fall, but Arkansas was lucky that TN didn't convert on 4th down two plays earlier or fumble on the tackle for the loss one play before. Games decided by one score are full of plays that could have reversed the outcome if they'd played out differently.

Actually the fumble was a makeup for the missed call by the ref when the Arkie punter soccer-kicked the ball out or the EZ when the snap went over his head.... Should've been UT's ball inside the 20. That UF fan is a real dumbass, you can't get any better than 13-0, that's a real Champion, unlike a one-loss loser.

there is all most all ways some luck in winning the National Championship game,it happens just about every year and wasn't it impressive what the Vols did with out Peyton as QB ?

Sure it was, but it wasn't the blatant kind that gets called every time.

So it's the old "It was pass interference but you don't call it at that time of the game"? The kind that usually goes against us, but we're not supposed to complain about it?

Oh look. Another Tennessee "fan" who thinks he has to apologize for "his" team going undefeated and winning the National Championship.

That was a team that simply refused to lose. Their will to win was stronger than every opponent and they were not going to lose any game they played that year.

I see nothing in his post that deserves your derision and do not understand your need to respond the way you did.
Every National Champion has had a few balls bounce their way or a few calls go their way on the road to being #1. Unless I am mistaken, I believe that is all the poster was saying.

Was riding thru Syracuse with my truck driver brother while that game was being played. Listened to it on the local radio. No John Ward up there.

He was on the road again when the FSU game started and called me for updates on the game. FSU was up 7-0. I told him "not to worry nobody could beat us today". At halftime he called and told me he had made it to a truckstop and was watching the game.

Last time I ever spoke to him. Buried him Jan. 17th with a bottle of Jack, a big ole doob and a copy of the "Tennessee National Champions" Sports Illustrated.

RIP Roy T VFL

Was riding thru Syracuse with my truck driver brother while that game was being played. Listened to it on the local radio. No John Ward up there.

He was on the road again when the FSU game started and called me for updates on the game. FSU was up 7-0. I told him "not to worry nobody could beat us today". At halftime he called and told me he had made it to a truckstop and was watching the game.

Last time I ever spoke to him. Buried him Jan. 17th with a bottle of Jack, a big ole doob and a copy of the "Tennessee National Champions" Sports Illustrated.

RIP Roy T VFL

Which FSU game? Certainly you don't mean the national championship game, because FSU was never beating Tennessee in that game. Tennessee went up 14-0 early.

Which FSU game? Certainly you don't mean the national championship game, because FSU was never beating Tennessee in that game. Tennessee went up 14-0 early.

Just going off my memory and it is getting questionable. Lol. I do remember that team came out to play that day and it was obvious. Did FSU give us a scare early? Opening drive maybe? Bittersweet memories.

Just going off my memory and it is getting questionable. Lol. I do remember that team came out to play that day and it was obvious. Did FSU give us a scare early? Opening drive maybe? Bittersweet memories.

Not really. They did return a punt for a lot of yardage early in the first quarter, but that was called back for roughing the kicker. That's all they really threatened us with in the first quarter. We threatened them more in the first quarter, we missed a FG and then got into FG range again but Travis Henry fumbled and we lost it.

It was pretty obvious the whole game that we were the better team.

Looking back at the 1998-1999 National Championship game season, I am glad that the Vols did not lose to a team playing a backup QB.
2015...beginning of a new era for UT football!

VN Store

Back