1998 season

Compared to Manning in the first few games of that 1994 season Brandon Stewart showed a higher level of athleticism, threw a prettier ball, and was much more comparable to Heath Shuler whom, In hindsight, probably should have been a senior that season. It was obvious by November, however, that it was Peyton's team and the rest is the history of one of the best quarterbacks to play the game. On another note, Peyton's future teammate at Indy, Edgerrin James ran all over UCLA in the other "lucky" game that insured our title game appearance.

Reactions: 2 people
I would say the best team we beat that year was Syracuse.

Orangemen were good but Florida beat them by 3 TDs in the Orange Bowl that year. In the 98 season, the Vols beat the Big East Champs, the SEC West Champs, the Orange Bowl Champs, and the ACC Champs.

I'll take good luck and national championship any day and twice on Sunday. No team in any sport ever wins it all without a break or two along the way.

Brandon Stewart came to UT hoping to help UT win a national title..in a weird way he did so

Ugh... the only thing Branndon Stewart (and it was spelled with two n's for some reason) insured was that we had to beat a better team in the Fiesta Bowl. After Miami had beaten UCLA, I was at Bailey's sports bar in west Knox with a bar full of people cheering for Kansas St so we wouldn't have to play Florida St in the championship game. Btw, that was an incredible day for college football. Maybe the best ever especially for a Vol fan.

Interestingly enough, the aforementioned Texas A&M Aggies were led by former Vol QB Brandon Stewart whom in his freshman year at Tennessee was considered by many to have a greater upside than fellow freshman QB Peyton Manning.

Iw as one of those "many"!

A lot of you are acting like saying we had some really good luck that season takes away from how good the team was. FFS people. You guys can be like feminists when someone says the words "sandwich" or "man up" sometimes. R-E-L-A-X.

Exaxtly. Even super bowl teams will claim a little luck along the way.

The 1998 team had some good fortune that other Tennessee teams haven't. But they also were able to consistently turn that into wins. And I'll refute the idea that the Stoerner fumble and the resulting game-winning drive that won the game was a result of luck, because it was not....it was the result of a great individual play by Billy Ratliff and then Travis Henry and our OL just shoving the football up Arky's arse for 4-5 plays until we ran out of playing field.
Your one of those people that would argue just to hear yourself talk

Your one of those people that would argue just to hear yourself talk

No, I'm not. I'm one of those guys that's interested in facts and the truth. The myth that the Arkansas game was some sort of gift or result of pure luck needs to be dispelled IMO. Hell, you're a Vol fan and you've fallen for that narrative....and it's wrong. The game was for all intents and purposes lost until Billy Ratliff makes a great play to keep the hope of an undefeated and championship season alive. Then Henry and the OL take the game over and score the winning touchdown. None of that was luck my friend, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

No, I'm not. I'm one of those guys that's interested in facts and the truth. The myth that the Arkansas game was some sort of gift or result of pure luck needs to be dispelled IMO. Hell, you're a Vol fan and you've fallen for that narrative....and it's wrong. The game was for all intents and purposes lost until Billy Ratliff makes a great play to keep the hope of an undefeated and championship season alive. Then Henry and the OL take the game over and score the winning touchdown. None of that was luck my friend, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Do you think Ratliff would be angered by calling it luck. Hell no. As long as they won the game. You act like your life is demenished in someway to call it luck. If it had been reversed and Martin had fumbled the game away. Everyone would have called it bad luck.

Ugh... the only thing Branndon Stewart (and it was spelled with two n's for some reason) insured was that we had to beat a better team in the Fiesta Bowl. After Miami had beaten UCLA, I was at Bailey's sports bar in west Knox with a bar full of people cheering for Kansas St so we wouldn't have to play Florida St in the championship game. Btw, that was an incredible day for college football. Maybe the best ever especially for a Vol fan.

Kansas State would've been a much tougher opponent than Florida State. That offense would've been harder to deal with than a back up qb from Florida State... you were cheering for a harder matchup.

Do you think Ratliff would be angered by calling it luck. Hell no. As long as they won the game. You act like your life is demenished in someway to call it luck. If it had been reversed and Martin had fumbled the game away. Everyone would have called it bad luck.

Dude, get your head out of the sand. I think a player who makes the damn incredible effort play that Ratliff made might just want to have it acknowledged rather than being dismissed and told that, erroneously, it was all just dumb luck because Stoerner, "without being touched" just dropped the ball. It's just not true. As far as how I'm "acting".... I'm acting like a guy who likes the truth and not some ill-informed, ignorant opinion.

I'm starting to think that you're one of those guys that refuses to admit he's wrong despite all the facts being put right in front of his nose that proves that's the case.

Since you don't believe anybody else, will you believe Will Overstreet, Phil Fulmer and John Ward?....

http://youtu.be/nkqPT5Vv7zw

That whole season just goes to prove that you make your own luck. When a team of men come together and refuse to lose then a lot of good fortune will come to those men!! It was a joyous season for sure!

2015 vs 1998

Dobbs would slice that defense up. 1998 couldn't handle this weird new style called "up tempo" offense.

On defense Sutton would lock down Price!

28-27.... 2015 the winners.

No joke.

Football and the athletes that play get better every decade.

Don't believe me... look at the size of lineman just 20 years ago compared to now.

X8Ufi_zps62cda975.gif

Reactions: 5 people
What would have happened if the ref didn't call pass interference against Cedric on the 4th down play against Syracuse?

What would have happened if the ref didn't call pass interference against Cedric on the 4th down play against Syracuse?

There would have been a blown pass interference call...because it was pass interference.

VN Store

Back