19' IN RB Sampson James

INDIANAPOLIS – The top-ranked running back in the Midwest for the 2019 cycle is Avon, Ind., four-star Sampson James, who has seen his offer list swell to 14 schools. Among those recent additions are a pair of SEC programs in Arkansas and Tennessee he plans to check out in the near future.

“(Arkansas) had been in contact for a couple weeks, but I was definitely surprised when (the offer) happened,” James said. “I knew that they always had great running backs there. I might go down there and check them out just because I have never been down there.”

While Arkansas does not often recruit in Indianapolis, Tennessee has had a presence in the city for several years and features former native son Darrin Kirkland Jr. as their starting linebacker. While a new staff has come to Knoxville, James is already starting to build a strong bonds with the Volunteers.

“I have a great relationship (with Tennessee),” James said. “I talked to Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt the other day and met the new running backs coach. They are real interested in me and I am eager to get down there soon and check them out. They seem like real cool guys, easy to talk to and easy to get along with. Their coaches came from a winning program, so they know what that culture is like.”

James is targeting the month of March to visit Tennessee, but an exact date has not been set. Michigan and Ohio State are also on his list of likely destinations for March. In the nearer future, though, James plans to check out a couple in-state programs. “I plan to visit IU this Friday and Purdue on Saturday for a basketball game,” James reported. “My interest for them is definitely legitimate and I always think about the opportunity that I have here in Indiana.”

- Rivals

Reactions: 1 person
"it was an absolutely beautiful campus, top-notch facilities and had a great talk with most of the coaches and i love what they're about there at rocky top," james told 247sports.

The 6-foot-1, 211-pound james said several things make tennessee a potential fit for him. "the 24-hour access to coaches there, a great brotherhood and great opportunity to play there," he said.

Schools james is familiar with include offers from michigan, notre dame, ohio state, indiana and purdue. Other recent scholarships have come from florida state and georgia.

As a junior james rushed for 1,782 yards and 20 touchdowns. He'll visit the wolverines and buckeyes over the next two weekends. He plans to take official visits in the spring and commit before his senior season.

Reactions: 4 people
I currently like Ohio State for James but he had one older brother play at Georgia and one at Auburn so perhaps he'll go the SEC route as well.

-Wiltfong, 247

Ooh, Avon? Probably the best high school marching band program in the country. Top 3, for sure. Doubt anyone but me cares about that, though :) Hope we land him.

Butch might.

Gross, I hope not. Don’t care about bands that suck like Botch’s high school band. Only care if it’s actually impressive like Avon who has 200+ members and will blast your face off. Have seen them live many times and they are incredible.

Gross, I hope not. Don’t care about bands that suck like Botch’s high school band. Only care if it’s actually impressive like Avon who has 200+ members and will blast your face off. Have seen them live many times and they are incredible.

Bruh... you never seen the Dobyns Bennett HS Marching Band?

Think they roll 400 deep.

Legit. If you're not on a sports team you're in the band at that school. Most are in it for the trips but I don't blame them for that at all

Legit. If you're not on a sports team you're in the band at that school. Most are in it for the trips but I don't blame them for that at all

The band is a big deal at DB. They got their own building, as well as their own practice field.

A dedicated practice field. For a band. A HS band.

😂

Yeah, but they have an A band and a B band, I believe, like Broken Arrow. Nobody actually marches 400 people at Grand Nats.

Avon marches 250 members, I believe, and they’ve won 3 Grand National Championships and haven’t finished below 3rd in the country in God knows how long. They’re amazing! No disrespect to DB. DB is Tennessee’s best chance at winning a National title.

Last edited:
Yeah, but they have an A band and a B band, I believe, like Broken Arrow. Nobody actually marches 400 people at Grand Nats.

Avon marches 250 members, I believe, and they’ve won 3 Grand National Championships and haven’t finished below 3rd in the country in God knows how long. They’re amazing! No disrespect to DB. DB is Tennessee’s best chance at winning a National title.

The best HS band I ever saw was Whites Creek in Nashville. Not even half that size but they could perform a half time show. All the schools in nash (Hillsboro, maplewood, Stratford, whites creek) all had good bands if I’m remembering correctly

The best HS band I ever saw was Whites Creek in Nashville. Not even half that size but they could perform a half time show. All the schools in nash (Hillsboro, maplewood, Stratford, whites creek) all had good bands if I’m remembering correctly

If you care, you should check out BOA Grand National Finals in Indianapolis sometime or watch the shows on YouTube. The most incredible bands in the country. Texas and Indiana bands dominate, though. They’ve got money lol.

What politics? When were you there?

I was on the football team with some important people that ran the city's kids. They took priority over other players unless you were just that much better than them. Then it's limited snaps. Mine was "you're starting at this position. Nevermind one of those kids want to play that position we'll move you to a new position you've never played before. Have fun!"

I was on the football team with some important people that ran the city's kids. They took priority over other players unless you were just that much better than them. Then it's limited snaps. Mine was "you're starting at this position. Nevermind one of those kids want to play that position we'll move you to a new position you've never played before. Have fun!"

LMAO.

Not buying Graham Clark playing “important people’s” kids. Not buying that for one second.

There aren’t “important people” in Kingsport to begin with.

Again, when were you there?

LMAO.

Not buying Graham Clark playing “important people’s” kids. Not buying that for one second.

There aren’t “important people” in Kingsport to begin with.

Again, when were you there?

If you don't mind I'm going to use a broader range than 4 years for when I was there. 2006-2011 range.

If you don't mind I'm going to use a broader range than 4 years for when I was there. 2006-2011 range.

Anyone who knows Kingsport knows who the most affluent and influential families in Kingsport are. The sons of those families all came through DB between the mid 90's and early 00's, and only a handful of them even played football.

“Intel has been tough to come by on 4-star tailback Sampson James, but it sounds like the Vols are at least in the conversation for the Indiana native after his visit Saturday. Midwest schools Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Notre Dame are considered the frontrunners for James, but keep an eye out here if the tailback opts to take an official visit to UT this spring. ”

VQ

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back