'18 TN WR Camron Johnson

It's amazing to me that our WR(Taylor, Johnson, Kellogg), TE(Schoenwald, Warren) and DT(Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Gooden) needs could all be met in this class without going out of state

It's a great scenario and the future state of instate recruiting looks very promising. We have long watched our rivals procure top talent in their own back yard while we fight and claw across the region...Hopefully, the mid state growth will continue to trend up and develop into a pipeline of talent for the Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
It's a great scenario and the future state of instate recruiting looks very promising. We have long watched our rivals procure top talent in their own back yard while we fight and claw across the region...Hopefully, the mid state growth will continue to trend up and develop into a pipeline of talent for the Vols.

We gotta start winning soon though. Just having talent in-state isn't enough. The kids have to want to go to the in-state school. And the only way to do that is to win. LSU has had the in-state loyalty it's had since 2000 because soon after Saban got there, they won the national title. Since then they have been a top program and all the kids in Louisiana want to to there.

Butch has to win big soon if he wants to build a dominant in-state pipeline to UT.

OT as well. Cade Mays, Will Lawrence, and Maxwell Iyama are all 4-5 star tackles. And thats with Max Wray going to Georgia.

The in-state class in 2018 is absolutely LOADED.

Weird that we haven't offered Will Lawrence. Has 32 offers...

It is interesting. Lawrence shows as a 3* with 32 offers. Iyama is a 4* with 6 offers.

Coaches are seeing something the recruiting services aren't. Or, more likely, the kid hasn't camped so the recruiting services aren't going to bump him until he pays up some $$$.

Reactions: 3 people
We gotta start winning soon though. Just having talent in-state isn't enough. The kids have to want to go to the in-state school. And the only way to had since 2000 because soon after Saban got there, they do that is to win. LSU has had the in-state loyalty it's won the national title. Since then they have been a top program and all the kids in Louisiana want to to there.

Butch has to win big soon if he wants to build a dominant in-state pipeline to UT.

Agree, however it also bodes well if we do have to replace Butch in the next year or so. UT has been trending in a better a direction in these kids eyes and a new coach can sell the fact he can take the program from good to great. The talent gap is closing enough to where even an average coach can win 8-9 games per year with instate talent with a few other out of state kids.

I believe it has been discussed before, but even today I heard Colin Coward state, while discussing the Sark to Falcons move, that Chip Kelly should sit out a year and wait for the Tennessee job. Said that the opening was inevitable and that UT was still "a top 10 blue blood program".

Also, Butch or whoever else ends up the long term coach needs to go get Austin Thomas from LSU. He is the main catalyst to LSU becoming a trendy school in the mid-state and Memphis. Welton has done very well in his time, but if he leaves the first call should be Thomas.

Reactions: 2 people
It is interesting. Lawrence shows as a 3* with 32 offers. Iyama is a 4* with 6 offers.

Coaches are seeing something the recruiting services aren't. Or, more likely, the kid hasn't camped so the recruiting services aren't going to bump him until he pays up some $$$.

That's the weird part of recruiting. It has been proven that stars matter. Talent rankings determine championship contenders. That's a fact. Yet it is also true that these camps rate players who can afford to pay to go to their camps. So there are definitely kids who are better than rated but didn't go to camps. How do we make sense of this conundrum?

That's the weird part of recruiting. It has been proven that stars matter. Talent rankings determine championship contenders. That's a fact. Yet it is also true that these camps rate players who can afford to pay to go to their camps. So there are definitely kids who are better than rated but didn't go to camps. How do we make sense of this conundrum?

I don't try to make sense of it.

I draw my own conclusions.....and I don't charge the kids anything to do it.

We gotta start winning soon though. Just having talent in-state isn't enough. The kids have to want to go to the in-state school. And the only way to do that is to win. LSU has had the in-state loyalty it's had since 2000 because soon after Saban got there, they won the national title. Since then they have been a top program and all the kids in Louisiana want to to there.

Bold above. Are you saying the type of winning that gets us to the playoffs most seasons or will SEC East Champs be good enough for us to get these recruits D4H? I know 8-4 each year isn't going to cut it.

I think 10-2 or better will do & that should get us SEC East Champs & a possible shot at the playoffs. That's my opinion.

there was a red head 4 star TE two years ago, or so, who we also never bothered to recruit. ended up at Georgia I think. Uncle or family was here posting about it saying all he needed was an offer.

sometimes the coaches just dont want these guys. idk.

there was a red head 4 star TE two years ago, or so, who we also never bothered to recruit. ended up at Georgia I think. Uncle or family was here posting about it saying all he needed was an offer.

sometimes the coaches just dont want these guys. idk.

Jackson Harris, 4 star TE, Columbia HS, Columbia, TN. UT never even offered.....go figure.

It's amazing to me that our WR(Taylor, Johnson, Kellogg), TE(Schoenwald, Warren) and DT(Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Gooden) needs could all be met in this class without going out of state

Welcome to big time high school football, Tennessee. It took a while, but as I've said for years, it is a big key to being a perinnel powerhouse

Agree, however it also bodes well if we do have to replace Butch in the next year or so. UT has been trending in a better a direction in these kids eyes and a new coach can sell the fact he can take the program from good to great. The talent gap is closing enough to where even an average coach can win 8-9 games per year with instate talent with a few other out of state kids.

I believe it has been discussed before, but even today I heard Colin Coward state, while discussing the Sark to Falcons move, that Chip Kelly should sit out a year and wait for the Tennessee job. Said that the opening was inevitable and that UT was still "a top 10 blue blood program".

Also, Butch or whoever else ends up the long term coach needs to go get Austin Thomas from LSU. He is the main catalyst to LSU becoming a trendy school in the mid-state and Memphis. Welton has done very well in his time, but if he leaves the first call should be Thomas.

While all of what you say is true, it hardly ever works out that way. Coaching changes invariably end up causing a mass exodus from the program. Especially when the new hire is going to bring in a different style than what the current players were brought into.

You have to prepare for the fact that if Butch Jones is fired or leaves, we will essentially have to start over again. I wonder how many of our fans would be looking forward to that proposition.

Reactions: 4 people
ok Butch time to kick it into gear

Yep, We're in Cam's top 6 per Scout but we really should be towards the top of his lists being from the state of Tennessee. The article I posted from Rivals said he was a priority for the staff so let's get after it coaches & recruiting staff.

Yep, We're in Cam's top 6 per Scout but we really should be towards the top of his lists being from the state of Tennessee. The article I posted from Rivals said he was a priority for the staff so let's get after it coaches & recruiting staff.

So you think they aren't getting after it?

You do know that those schools are in alphabetical order right?

They put the medium interest in alphabetical order. Then the low interest in alphabetical order.

We may very well be (and quite possibly are) #1 for him right now.

You do know that those schools are in alphabetical order right?

They put the medium interest in alphabetical order. Then the low interest in alphabetical order.

We may very well be (and quite possibly are) #1 for him right now.

I have explained that to him ad nauseum. It just won't stick.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back