'18 TN WR Camron Johnson

“I just wanted to show Tennessee a little bit of love. I haven’t been up there since a junior day so I wanted to see how things were going up there so I just wanted to come hang out for the day,” Johnson said. “It was really fun. I got to spend a lot of time with him. I got to hang out with him all night and all day. He says he loves it up there and he says there’s no play like it. He said they have a lot of good things going on up there, which is true.”

“I got to hang out with the coaches a lot. I got to spend time with them after the game and that was probably the best part of being at the game,” Johnson said. “I got to spend a lot of time with coach Azzanni. I had like a five minute conversation with coach Jones, too. “It was good to hang out with coach Z and hang out and talk.”

“It was really encouraging. They moved the ball well and threw it, too,” Johnson said. “Overall, I was impressed with their offense. It was sluggish at times but I understand that. It was a noon game and they aren’t usually playing at 12:00.”

“Every once in a while Alontae will try and recruit me and will send me something or say something to me,” Johnson said. “I don’t really know guys from other states so those are the guys I would play with or go to college with them and I could build a relationship with them so I would already have a relationship with them. It has a big effect.”

- VQ

Reactions: 4 people
“i just hadn’t been up there in a while, and i knew a couple of my friends that were going up there, so i decided i’d just go up there and watch the game and stuff like that,” said johnson, who’s ranked the nation’s no. 125 overall prospect and no. 20 wide receiver and the no. 4 player from tennessee in the 247sports composite for the 2018 class. “it was really good. I mean, the game was an early game, so after the game i got to hang out with the coaches a lot. I talked to coach z (wide receivers coach zach azzanni) for a while, so that was definitely fun. That was probably my favorite part of (saturday’s) game. It was more just small talk — just building our relationship and getting closer and stuff like that, more than anything.”

“they’re definitely high up there,” he said. “i haven’t really made a list of my tops so far, but they’re definitely high up there. (i like) just how much fan support they truly do have at ut, and just everything about it. I really like ut. I like their coaching staff. I like the offensive system they have in place, and then their fan support’s incredible.”

“i noticed not a ton, but their passing game was doing pretty good (saturday),” johnson said. “that’s encouraging to see a lot more passing coming from a team that’s been predominantly running the past couple years, so that was definitely a big takeaway from (saturday).

"i think that just might have been a little bit of a hard game for them. They don’t play a lot at 12 o’clock, and, for tennessee, they usually play more later games and stuff like that, so i guess that probably was a little bit different for them. I think, whenever they needed to, they’ve definitely been able to pull out games.”

“i mean, every coach has been texting me, showing me love, sending me pictures, stuff like that,” johnson said. “they’ve definitely talked to me just as much as anybody, if not more. Pretty much all of them (have contacted me) mostly equally, as far as twitter goes. But coach z and i text a little bit more and stuff like that.”

“it’ll be at least next summer before i make any kind of decision, as far as where i’m going to commit or anything,” johnson said. “i’ll probably make a final five during the summer and then take my officials during the season next year.”

CAMERON-JOHNSON-140901-PRO.JPG

Wide Receiver
Brentwood, Tennessee
Brentwood Academy
View Map
Ht:5'11"
Wt:185 lbs
Class:2018 (High School)

https://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/...nson-166969;_ylt=AuF4WALFIie10jjPXn.O3q.qt5B4

Camron Johnson, Brentwood Academy, Wide Receiver

Camron Johnson - Hudl

Vols offered.

Cam is linked to us at NPA through him playing basketball with Buck's nephew for WACG a national champion AAU team. Cam is a phenomenal athlete and can do it all on an elite level in both sports. With Cam it's going to come down to what he prefers to do basketball or football. I highly doubt he makes any decisions any time soon though as he has crazy options.

Last edited:
Cam is linked to us at NPA through him playing basketball with Buck's nephew for WACG a national champion AAU team. Cam is a phenomenal athlete and can do it all on an elite level in both sports. With Cam it's going to come down to what he prefers to do basketball or football. I highly doubt he makes any decisions any time soon though as he has crazy options.

Listed at 5'11" ?

Somebody tell the kid his future is in football...

Reactions: 1 person
Listed at 5'11" ?

Somebody tell the kid his future is in football...

I promise you he's an eletric Guard in hoops and ranked in the country. He and Garland will be dynamic for BA. Also i am pretty sure he's not 5'11 right now, but closer to 6' or 6'1 so he'll continue to grow but i see what you meant by that thought.

This kid is another one of those in-state MUST. We can't let a talent like him get away from Knoxville.

How are we doing with him so far? We lead?

I wouldn't necessarily say that we are in the lead but we are yup there. He doesn't have a leader or favorite listed from 247 Sports but VIP access has allowed those subscribers a little more information on him in the last few months.

I'd say UT would have to end up being his favorite just by the way he talks. I think Vandy & LSU are also two schools we have to watch as well.

Video interview with Austin Price on VQ...Cam said he's going to start narrowing things down this spring after taking some visits, said that OSU, PSU, South Carolina and UF have all come on strong lately and he expects offers from them, talked up UT big mentioning great fans, coaches, atmosphere, said program has turned around and doing good things, etc.

Cam said it's very encouraging to see guys like Barnett and Malone come from the mid-state, go to UT, and will be drafted in NFL this spring, he said that's his ultimate goal, plans to work on all of his game this offseason but specifically route running and playing some on the outside this fall. Smart kid, good interview.

Prediction: Vol

Reactions: 6 people
Johnson said during the National Playmakers Academy’s open workout Sunday afternoon at Tennessee State University that Tennessee is one of a handful of teams he’s “hearing from the most,” along with Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Penn State and Florida.

“Ohio State started talking to me a lot,” said Johnson, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 164 overall prospect and No. 27 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2018 class. “Tennessee’s been there, like always. Vanderbilt’s talked to me a lot, and then Penn State’s sort of started talking to me some, and Florida. I know that I want to go back to Ohio State soon,” he said. “Probably try and get down to Florida. I’ll probably go to Tennessee’s junior day. I want to get up to South Carolina’s junior day. And I think that, since Duke just offered, I’m going to go up there to their junior day.”

“Coach Jones texts me really often,” Johnson said. “He texts me probably two or three times a week. He actually just texted me awhile ago, which is funny. … He was just sending me a Twitter link of the UT fan erasing ‘Roll Tide’ off the back of a car and just was laughing about it. Now it’s just sort of starting to get to the point where we’re so casual with each other, we’ll just talk about anything,” Johnson said. “They’ll text me and just say, ‘How’s it going?’ and ask about basketball or just send me funny things or anything like that, just let me know what they’re doing and stuff like that.”

“I know they didn’t get as far as they probably wanted or their fans wanted, but they had a lot of big injuries that definitely contributed to that,” Johnson said. “I think that it shows they’re an up-and-coming program, and they’re definitely rebuilding to the point where they used to be, and that’s definitely encouraging as a recruit.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Said he would like to narrow his list of schools to focus on down to five by the summer.

Reactions: 2 people
Any mention of him talking to Barnes or any of the basketball staff as of yet? Seems like that would play a big part in his recruitment especially playing both sports along with the fact he's originally from Kentucky, gotta watch out for the wildcats if they want him.

Last edited:
Kellogg, Johnson, and Taylor and let's ride.

It's amazing to me that our WR(Taylor, Johnson, Kellogg), TE(Schoenwald, Warren) and DT(Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Gooden) needs could all be met in this class without going out of state

Reactions: 7 people
It's amazing to me that our WR(Taylor, Johnson, Kellogg), TE(Schoenwald, Warren) and DT(Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Gooden) needs could all be met in this class without going out of state

OT as well. Cade Mays, Will Lawrence, and Maxwell Iyama are all 4-5 star tackles. And thats with Max Wray going to Georgia.

The in-state class in 2018 is absolutely LOADED.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back